PDA

View Full Version : OT: TAG Heuer Watch

rugbysecondrow
07-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Question folks. I have an Omega Seamaster (Bond watch) that I really love, although I find the automatic mechanism a little lacking since I don't wear it everyday and I have to reset it often (Iknow I can buy a winding platform though). I am familiar with that quality, but I am looking for something a little different for my wife, specifically a TAG Heuer watche. I am looking to get my wife a gift for her birthday and I thought it would be a good watch for a Professional, Mom, Active person since it seems durable, understated and of good quality. Any Impressions? I am looking a quartz for her since she will likely alternate between this and her sport watch.

See attached for sample of what I am looking at.

As always, thanks!

SoCalSteve
07-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I've owned a Tag watch for about 15 years...Its my second watch (Rolex Submariner is my "go to" watch).

The Tag has been a great watch! Highly recommend.

Steve

slates
07-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I purchased that watch for my wife...holds up well and battery operated so no need for a winder. My wife's has the mother of pearl face with the diamond hour markers and I believe it's water resisten to 200m. It's not as expensive as the Omega's.

Ozz
07-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I've had a TAG quartz watch for about 13 years now....changed the band a couple times, replaced the crown last year, but other than that it has been flawless.

I think the TAG styling is a little masculine for a woman's watch, but if you wife likes it, go for it.

Does she want a dress watch or an everyday watch? My wife has a white gold / diamond Concord for her dress watch, and a Tissot for everyday wear.

Elefantino
07-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I've had one since 1988. Highly recommended.

It's a Rolex for the unpretentious.

CaliFly
07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
TAG Heuer quartz are bomber. There are a bunch of watchmakers at that price range with similar quality. If you like the looks of a TAG Heuer, get one. She'll love it.

rugbysecondrow
07-24-2009, 02:25 PM
It is actually a suprise for her so she hasn't picked it out. It will be an everyday watch though (my thought at least) and something that would be good for many occasions. She has a Movado I gave her when we first dated about 12 years ago that has been a great watch. Also, she is not a dainty women, so I thought something like this would be good for her. She does a triathlons and is pretty active, so something she doesn't have to baby.

Thanks guys, I knew this would be the right place to ask.

Kevan
07-24-2009, 02:41 PM
A vintage Heuer. Takes some hunting to find, but oh, so nice when found.

Sorry to detract, just not a Tag fan.

sc53
07-24-2009, 02:42 PM
As a "non dainty" active woman myself, i commend you for thinking of Tag! I have had one since 1997 and absolutely LOVE it. I don't take it off for pond dips, ocean adventures, showers, mud wrestling with my dogs, hot sweaty rides, hot sweaty hikes, etc etc and it still looks beautiful! I have one with the mother of pearl face, in a grey tone that matches the watchband. My watchband is the other Tag style, like this one http://www.jomashop.com/tag-heuer-wjf1311-ba0573.html
and I like it better than the bracelet in your example. But that's just me! I'm sure she'll love it and use it for many years.

BCS
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Many parallels between the two.

You can spend huge amounts or very little and both will function.

The uninitiated "don't get it" when people drop big bucks on one.

Just because they are expensive, they are not necessarily better.

Every time I buy my "last" bike or watch, I am soon lusting after something else. My latest watch is similar to my old Serotta Legend--it is titanium with a carbon fiber face and a rubber strap.

As to the OP, TAG makes a nice watch. Go for it. As I have learned from my wife, if she doesn't like it, she will return it.

climbgdh
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I bought a TAG Aquaracer with mother of pearl face for my wife about 6 months ago. She was never an watch person before this and barely ever even wore a watch. She loves the TAG and barely ever takes it off. It's a very nice piece and I expect she'll have it for many years to come.

vqdriver
07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
if she likes the style, there is no drawback to a tag. i've only had mine for 12 years, but plan to keep it as my daily timekeeper for the foreseeable future. in those 12 years, i've had two battery changes, and that's about it. incredibly tough, unfailingly dependable, and the style has held up very well.

for a lady, just consider that the tags are a bit more thick so it can be a little topheavy, but not a problem for most.

goonster
07-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Even more understated (without the 12 or a bezel), Omega Aqua Terra Quartz:

http://www.watch-traders.com/foto/omega/ladies-seamaster-aqua-terra-quartz/23110306102001.JPG

Steve in SLO
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
One for Kevan. Not exactly a Heuer, but good enough...

Pete Serotta
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
One for Kevan. Not exactly a Heuer, but good enough... :D :D Pete

Louis
07-24-2009, 07:08 PM
I've considered getting a "nice" watch, but given how well my $15 Timex performs (every six months or so I reset it using the Naval Observatory web site) I really can't justify spending a whole lot of money.

goblue
07-24-2009, 07:09 PM
I've had my TAG for 15 years. It replaced my first TAG which my wife gave to me during our honeymoon in Bermuda 25 years ago. That TAG was stolen. We celebrated our annaversery (with our three kids) on Torch lake last week.

rugbysecondrow
07-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I've considered getting a "nice" watch, but given how well my $15 Timex performs (every six months or so I reset it using the Naval Observatory web site) I really can't justify spending a whole lot of money.

True, the purpose of a nice watch is more than the pure utility of that provided by a Timex. Of course, on this Serotta forum, we often deal in things that provide more than pure utility value. It is certainly a luxury.

I decided to buy that watch for her tonight, so hopefully she enjoys it.

I feel pretty good about this purchase and as always, thanks for all you advice.

Paul

abqhudson
07-25-2009, 07:53 AM
My wife loves her TAG.

android
07-25-2009, 04:29 PM

What, no Heckler and Koch products in the photo?? That would about wrap it up. ;)

sjbraun
07-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Sort like a BMW 3 series

abqhudson
07-25-2009, 07:48 PM
sjbraun's

"TAG = status badge
Sort like a BMW 3 series"

Spoken like someone who has never driven a 3 series car - I could be wrong.

Some folks like Buicks, some like BMWs - to each his own.

johnnymossville
07-25-2009, 08:08 PM
The Tag is a really good choice. An Omega would be another.

TACSTS
07-25-2009, 09:24 PM
If I had the $$ I'd love to buy this for my wife: (albeit in silver not rose-Ti, but there isn't a picture online of the other colors) Bathys Hawaii Lunar Wahine:

http://bathyswatch.com/main.php?link=wahine

It's got a high-quality quartz mov't, nicely made, boutique builder, and reasonably priced. (relatively speaking, it's still a lot for a watch, but if you're looking at Tag's it's in that range)

CaliFly
07-25-2009, 11:44 PM
If I had the $$ I'd love to buy this for my wife: (albeit in silver not rose-Ti, but there isn't a picture online of the other colors) Bathys Hawaii Lunar Wahine:

http://bathyswatch.com/main.php?link=wahine

It's got a high-quality quartz mov't, nicely made, boutique builder, and reasonably priced. (relatively speaking, it's still a lot for a watch, but if you're looking at Tag's it's in that range)

I love me some Bathys!

:banana:

MilanoTom
07-25-2009, 11:49 PM
I've had a couple of quartz Heuers (Heuer is the watchmaker, Techniques d'Avant Garde is the holding company that purchased Heuer in 1985; "TAG Heuer" is no longer part of Techniques d'Avant Garde, but was acquired in 1999 by LVMH, who also owns Louis Vuitton, Hublot watches, Zenith watches, Krug, De Beers, and loads of other luxury brands). The watches generally did fine. I wear my 20 year old Forumula 1 (with the fiberglass over steel case) on a regular basis. The other one (a mid-1980s stainless 1000) never ran right after the first battery replacement, but that may have resulted from a jeweler's error than a problem with the watch itself. I'd have it checked again, but it was misplaced during a move (it's around here somewhere). It was/is, however, a nice watch and in all honesty, fit my smallish wrist a lot better than my Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date (which is a mm or two smaller than the Datejust).

Nobody says much about the quartz movements that they use, so about all we can safely presume is that if the watch is a "prestige" brand, the movement is of high quality. The average person won't know, however, whether he or she is getting a higher quality movement in a Heuer than in any other quality watch (Movado, Concord, Omega, etc.) , or whether a more expensive quartz Heuer has a movement that's any different than one in a Heuer that's half the price. Luckily, they all run pretty well, so we don't really need to know.

If you like the Heuer's style, go for it.

Regards,
Tom

Polyglot
07-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Sort like a BMW 3 series

A more apt car/watch analogy is:

TAG Heuer = Cadillac Cimarron

A reasonably basic no nonsense watch with slightly better finish and materials and a premium brand name. I know my wife would prefer the Movado that was mentioned by the OP (super durable scratch-resistant glass, great functionality and thin and lightweight to boot). If she were to want a second "branded" watch, she would prefer a Cartier or Rolex, both brands that will hold their value and prestige better.

MilanoTom
07-26-2009, 09:24 PM
A more apt car/watch analogy is:

TAG Heuer = Cadillac Cimarron

A reasonably basic no nonsense watch with slightly better finish and materials and a premium brand name. I know my wife would prefer the Movado that was mentioned by the OP (super durable scratch-resistant glass, great functionality and thin and lightweight to boot). If she were to want a second "branded" watch, she would prefer a Cartier or Rolex, both brands that will hold their value and prestige better.

C'mon now. The Cimarron was a piece of crap. There's nothing wrong with a TAG Heuer. They do their job as well as any "prestige" quartz watch. It's all a matter of personal taste and style.

Regards,
Tom

link
07-26-2009, 11:14 PM
+1 on the Bathys. I like the AquaCulture. Been eyeing their stuff for months. Just looking though

Kevan
07-27-2009, 11:26 AM

Slendidiferous!

MilanoTom
07-27-2009, 12:36 PM
The Tag is a really good choice. An Omega would be another.

The Omega is probably a heck of a lot better watch, but style seems to trump workmanship for a lot of folks (not that it's a bad thing...).

Acotts
07-27-2009, 01:29 PM
How much does it cost to service a Tag? Do you send it to the jewelers, or does it need to go back to Zwiterland?

quansoo
07-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I've had my TAG Heuer professional since 87 or so. Great watch. Very rarely needs service but when it does the dealer handles it. I don't recall the service charges as being unreasonable at all.

Bought an old girlfriend one in the early 90s and she loved it.

Bought wife one in early 00s and she loves it.