PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with Easton Carbon wheels?

sailorboy
07-24-2009, 11:15 AM
I know there is a lot of talk about edge and reynolds as the leaders in this area, but I haven't seen much love for the comparable easton wheels...I'm considering the EC90 deeper rim, tubular carbon fibers. They are basically being blown out for half the price of the same wheel made by their competitors. Any reason why? Are there any known issues with them? Are they just sourced to Asia or something therefore the cheaper price?

thx

Z3c
07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
FWIW, I have had them in the past and they were solid and fast. I think they are a bargain wheelset. I have a friend who is a big and really strong guy; he pounds the crap out of his, has had them for 1.5 years and loves them.

Scott

BumbleBeeDave
07-24-2009, 11:34 AM
. . . but I have two sets of Vistas I use on my cross bike. They're kinda heavy, but I love the freewheel--it's almost completely silent. Unlike Mavic wheels, which sound like a rattling can of bolts when you coast. :crap:

BBD

bostondrunk
07-24-2009, 11:44 AM
FWIW, I have had them in the past and they were solid and fast. I think they are a bargain wheelset. I have a friend who is a big and really strong guy; he pounds the crap out of his, has had them for 1.5 years and loves them.

Scott

Exact same experience here, me plus buddies have used them, and I still use the shallow carbons (EC90 SLX), no probs at all. Really nice hubs too.

R2D2
07-24-2009, 12:45 PM
My next Carbon tubs witll be Easton EC90's.
The R4 hubs are nice enough and I like the freehub design.
But that's after the Zipp 303's break. I'm poundng them hard but they haven't broken.