View Full Version : It's Official - Lance's new team

gman
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.teamradioshack.com/getready/

jlwdm
07-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Greg:

We missed you last Sunday.

Are you going to make it to Paris on Sunday for the Tour?

Jeff

rwsaunders
07-23-2009, 11:34 AM
The Shack is back...bring back the TRS-80. William still uses his... :cool:

C5 Snowboarder
07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Does Radio Shack still want your phone number when you buy batteries?????

Waldo
07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
What color Trek will they ride?

MattTuck
07-23-2009, 12:14 PM
This does NOT seem like a match made in heaven.

Radioshack? Could you pick a more backward looking name? Who wants to buy radios anymore? if you have to buy electronics, would you want to go to a shack?

Mind as well call it "TV Quonset hut". Oh well. I guess it isn't any worse than a team sponsored by Khazakstan?

Also, will the UCI or ProTour or whatever damn organization it is, allow them to wear yellow colored jerseys? I remember Saunier Duval had those yellow kits, but they were a french team and maybe had some extra lattitude.

dd74
07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
This is big. Lance will only get the best riders. If you think Astana is strong now, wait until next year with Lance's boys.

cody.wms
07-23-2009, 12:17 PM
id rather ride for a team with "shack" in the name than for a team where the co- sponsor was a pregnancy test.

Just sayin'

pdmtong
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Live-shack shirts.
Shack-attack shirts
Free diodes in little bags.
I can't wait.
Seriously...is this the best he can do for corporate sponsors?

link
07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Team Cisco
Team Mac

these would be cool.

I was hoping for Team Enzyte ...seems right :D

JeffS
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM

"Best" is the company who writes the biggest check right? Why should he care who the company is?

dd74
07-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Exactly. Maybe he won't even be riding Treks. (gasp! The horror!)

link
07-23-2009, 12:26 PM
LA: Sorry we lost comm today Johan. My radio went kaput.

dancinkozmo
07-23-2009, 12:26 PM
rs is obsolete.
it's a perfect match.

dd74
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
rs is obsolete.
it's a perfect match.
Huh? I haven't seen a single Radio Shack shut down. Unlike Circuit City.

cody.wms
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
This is the point where I make a joke about Cipollini coming back, under the Radio Shack team, but only under the condition that he can bring his own kit, and post a picture of the Tron skinsuit from the 2003 Prologue. But I cant find a single decent shot of the effing thing.

In the meantime, another classic Cipo picture. God bless his hair.

SoCalSteve
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Live-shack shirts.
Shack-attack shirts
Free diodes in little bags.
I can't wait.

With cutbacks, the recession, profits going down the tubes, huge corporations showing massive losses and just the meltdown of corporations in general...

Dont you think that finding ANY sponsorship these days to keep pro cycling alive is a good thing?

Just askin'

Steve

rwsaunders
07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Team Tube Tester....it's the Texas connection, boys.

Operating from convenient neighborhood and mall locations, RadioShack has approximately 4,400 company-operated stores; 1,400 dealer outlets; nearly 700 wireless phone kiosks throughout the U.S.; and, approximately 200 company-operated stores in Mexico. The average size of a RadioShack store is approximately 2,500 square feet. A majority of our stores are located in strip shopping centers in suburban markets that exceed 500,000 people. RadioShack employs 35,000 people

OtayBW
07-23-2009, 01:06 PM
What the heck happened to NIKE????

dd74
07-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Between the cancer, the seven TdF wins, now a very successful comeback from 4 yrs. out and at 38 yrs. old --- I would think that seals LA as one of the most recognized athletes in the world right now.

Sponsors should be falling all over themselves to have him ride for them.

Honestly, I thought he was going to announce Microsoft as a sponsor. Or Dell, as Michael Dell is a good 'ol boy Austin-ite like Lance.

cody.wms
07-23-2009, 01:11 PM
What the heck happened to NIKE????

Ive been wondering this too...

It seems that they do not make cycling products (shoes/ clothes) for consumers anymore, but still make one off shoes for some, Armstrong, Leipheimer and Cavendish, among others.

Are they interested in cycling as an industry or not?

Ahneida Ride
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Actually HandleBra was a potential sponsor ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

------------

Phone # please ? (that did really P me off)

Pay em in frns and they want your Phone # ...

Auk
07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Nike didn't make the latest version of the shoes that Lance is wearing (nor the others for that matter DMT got that honor), instead they are a pair of custom Rocket 7's.

Ive been wondering this too...

It seems that they do not make cycling products (shoes/ clothes) for consumers anymore, but still make one off shoes for some, Armstrong, Leipheimer and Cavendish, among others.

Are they interested in cycling as an industry or not?

LegendRider
07-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Let's talk RadioShack roster:

Lance
Levi
Horner?
Popovych?
Taylor Phinney

Who else?

Rich_W
07-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Apparently there was another serious contender for sponsorship considered...

daker13
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
I'd buy a Team Radioshack jersey way before I'd buy anything with Nike on it.

dd74
07-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Lance
Levi
Horner?
Popovych?
Taylor Phinney

Who else?
Christian Vandevelde

JonB
07-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Man, that team Big Boy looks good!

Anyway, is it a bit presumptuous that they indicate that Armstrong will be riding for them in the 2010 TDF? It appears to be baiting the Frenchies to not let them/him race for some obscure and/or trumped up reason.

xjoex
07-23-2009, 02:36 PM
I'd buy a Team Radioshack jersey way before I'd buy anything with Nike on it.

I can't wait to get a radioshack jersey, as a nerd and lance fan this pleases me...

William
07-23-2009, 02:41 PM
The Shack is back...bring back the TRS-80. William still uses his... :cool:

Wha? 80's ROCK!!!!

Excuse my while I go play Atari....which kicks Intellivision's backside btw :p

William.

William
07-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Actually HandleBra was a potential sponsor ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

------------

Phone # please ? (that did really P me off)

Pay em in frns and they want your Phone # ...

Half the peloton is using re-badged HandleBra on their bars. Ray, how late were you up the night before the prologue with that ball-peen hammer and Cinelli stamp?

William ;)

avalonracing
07-23-2009, 02:55 PM
As an employee of Radio Shack are you still required to stand in front of the store smoking a cigarette on your 15 minute break?

William
07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
As an employee of Radio Shack are you still required to stand in front of the store smoking a cigarette on your 15 minute break?

And have one eyebrow with a vacant glare?

Just wonderin'

William :)

BumbleBeeDave
07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
. . . on Radio Shack? Obviously they serve some sort of valid market segment because they have a lot of stores and they are still in business. Good luck to Lance and whatever team he gets together under their sponsorship.

BBD

93legendti
07-23-2009, 03:54 PM
. . . on Radio Shack? Obviously they serve some sort of valid market segment because they have a lot of stores and they are still in business. Good luck to Lance and whatever team he gets together under their sponsorship.

BBD
I agree.

gman
07-23-2009, 04:06 PM

Lance
Levi
Horner?
Popovych?
Taylor Phinney

Who else?

Contador

NOT!

nobrakes
07-23-2009, 04:23 PM
RadioShack came as a complete surprise to me. When the rumor started a few weeks ago, I immediately thought Bristol-Meyers Squib would be footing the bill, with Nike and Trek in support rolls.

That Lance found any American company able to fork over sponsorship is a fantastic deal, even though the products RadiioShack markets is mostly made in Asia and China. I recall from years ago RadioShack started as a branch of Tandy Corporation, who's main business at the time was cowhide and leather products. I hope they don't design a dorky looking jersey.

bluto
07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
"Best" is the company who writes the biggest check right? Why should he care who the company is?

This thread should have ended after this post.

BumbleBeeDave
07-23-2009, 04:51 PM
I hope they don't design a dorky looking jersey.

There are already plenty of others in the pro peloton these days!

Those blue and white cows at Milram make me gag! :crap:

BBD

William
07-23-2009, 04:58 PM
There are already plenty of others in the pro peloton these days!

Those blue and white cows at Milram make me gag! :crap:

BBD

http://www.filetransit.com/images/screen/a1bee79a272274a7f67a712d33ceab51_7art_Stripy_Zebra s_ScreenSaver.jpg

William ;) :)

BumbleBeeDave
07-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Whatever happened to those CLASSIC, totally ROCKIN' team kits from the past? ;)

BBD

Climb01742
07-23-2009, 05:07 PM
the fact that 3 american companies will be sponsoring 3 teams in 2010, in this economy, says something good about cycling. exactly what that something is i'm not quite sure, but who cares, right?

avalonracing
07-23-2009, 05:42 PM
. . . on Radio Shack? Obviously they serve some sort of valid market segment because they have a lot of stores and they are still in business.

That is true and I still go to Radio Shack whenever I need some speaker wire. Wait... it's not 1982 anymore? Nevermind... I go somewhere else.

(In all seriousness, I do try to patronize companies that support cycling and if Radio Shack steps up they'll get my business provided that they have something I need).

soupless
07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
I'll bet they're one of the better looking jerseys you'll see next year.

johnnymossville
07-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Sounds no worse than a team riding Huffy or Murray bikes to me.

pdmtong
07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Half empty: with all the talk about his comeback, celbrity and corporate connections and cancer "hope rides again" I expected him to secure a sponsor who could do more obvious cross-marketing / co-branding and promotion.

Half full: yes, any money at this time is good money. Texas connection

With cutbacks, the recession, profits going down the tubes, huge corporations showing massive losses and just the meltdown of corporations in general...

Dont you think that finding ANY sponsorship these days to keep pro cycling alive is a good thing?

Just askin'

Steve

bronk
07-24-2009, 01:55 PM
If your looking for a dumb sponsor, try US Postal Service. They chose to sponsor a bicycling team advertising themselves at a cost of millions rather than generating income by selling space to other companies on the sides of their trucks that are visible everywhere in the US.

explain that one...

bob the nailer
07-24-2009, 04:51 PM

Lance
Levi
Horner?
Popovych?
Taylor Phinney

Who else?
Hincapie?

1centaur
07-24-2009, 05:14 PM
If your looking for a dumb sponsor, try US Postal Service. They chose to sponsor a bicycling team advertising themselves at a cost of millions rather than generating income by selling space to other companies on the sides of their trucks that are visible everywhere in the US.

explain that one...

They were not advertising to Americans (we're aware of them), they were advertising a FedEx-like service to Europeans. That was their story, anyway.

bronk
07-25-2009, 04:49 AM
They were not advertising to Americans (we're aware of them), they were advertising a FedEx-like service to Europeans. That was their story, anyway.

Makes sense. I think I'll write the Queen of England and suggest she buy some advertising for the British Royal Mail in next year's Tour of California.

KKevin
07-25-2009, 07:19 AM
And have one eyebrow with a vacant glare?

Just wonderin'

William :)

There happens to be one very attractive female employee at my local radio shack!