PDA

View Full Version : Can my Davis Phinney ride again?

hsyoung
01-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Hello folks - I have a 14 year old fluorescent orange Davis Phinney and I'm investigating getting it back into working order. The frame is immaculate, but the Campy Frankenstein job is pretty grim. I have pretty much lost most of my knowledge about kits and component groups, and I'm trying to determine whether I can buy a group for it and get it ready to ride again. I understand there is an issue with a free hub system but I'm afraid I don't know much about it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Spencer

dbrk
01-17-2004, 10:20 AM
These models had pretty steep seat tube angles and a forward-position ride, but that's all details. The rear spacing is the current 130mm, the bottom bracket is the normal BSC 68mm, there's nothing unusual about this frame as far as parts go and any kit will work fine. If I were really not sure this is the bike you want, I would either get what you have on it working (any good shop can do a fine tune up), or buy a Shimano 105 kit. 105 works every bit as well as the other groups above it (well, nearly, so nearly that you can't possibly complain), and what it lacks in finish and refinement you will never really notice if you don't compare. It's still a great value. Parts prices have gotten stupit [sic], imho, so I would look piece it together from mail order unless this gets your LBS all bent outta' shape. Most folks will build the bike if you bring the parts. Personally I would never buy a part from a shop. I get the support your local bike shop, it's worth the premium, etc. arguments, I just think that they can make money on other stuff if they are nowhere near the price on parts (and they never are). Well, it's easier if you just get a kit from the shop and have them refurbish the bike, but the parts on it might be just fine. It's all just money to get it right.

dbrk

hsyoung
01-17-2004, 10:27 AM
i will definitely investigate 105 . . . i guess i am somewhat unsure of whether this is the ride i want to be on day in day out so i don't want to put a ton of money into it - regarding the free hub thing - my wheels are also 14 yrs old - wont i need a new rear wheel at least to work with 105? (this is just what someone told me)

thanks again!

spencer

dbrk
01-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Okay, so if you have a freewheel that is 8spd (or less), you will need a new rear wheel with a Shimano compatible 9spd _cassette_ hub. Not to worry, only true retro freaks (yours truly) still buys freewheel hubs. If you go to nashbar.com you can get a perfectly adequate rear wheel with a 105 or even cheaper (but fine) Sora Shimano rear hub on a decent rim, like an MA3. This will definitely get you down the road. I use these on really nice bikes and there's not one disadvantage (weightschmate...). There is a ton of perfectly decent 9spd Shimano on sale at Nashbar if you can deal with mail order and your LBS doesn't have a kyniption for your choice to save about 60% or more on parts costs.

dbrk

hsyoung
01-17-2004, 12:41 PM
that's all great info - i wil most certainly follow your suggestions - now another question - when i got this bike i was a pretty good sprinter and got it because i was told the steep angles would help me in that department - if i want to do some long distance road riding, centuries etc., am i in for some serious suffering?

thank you : )

dbrk
01-17-2004, 03:00 PM
If you are stalwart enough you can ride this bike for a century...I mean most pro races are nearly always that long! And they ride them! But most of us mortals think that 100 miles is a long way and this bike is not really for that. If I had two bikes, this one and a mountain bike, I would pick the Phinney if I were going 100 miles on the road. If I had another bike even barely as nice as the Phinney but with gentler angles, longer chainstays, a lower bb, and more relaxed French-style fit...well, the Phinney would hang up for everything but crits. The DP model is a racer. Now if you are flexible, fast, and impervious to pain, then riding it 100+ miles is no problem. A nice comfortable, sensible road rider for centuries? How about a new CIII built relaxed with so-called Rapid Tour geos? That's a nice bike (SIZE UP!!! when you fit it!!) and there are a million others. By far the best bargain in a relaxed bike is Rivendell's Romulus (rivendellbicycles.com). Beautifully made, nicely painted, you can get one with STI brifter shifting too if you want. Also have a look at Herons (heronbicycles.com), but the best value in a comfortable longer distance bike is a Rivendell. Now you want fancy? Ahh....Serotta can do that beautifully, and so many others too. I like Kirk, Vanilla, depends on how fancy you wanna get? All the way to Paris? Singer is the greatest of the oldschool distance riders, and Mariposa (bikespecialties.com) a close second.

dbrk

caffeine power
05-31-2004, 12:38 PM
I bought a Phinney back in '89 when I was doing a lot of crits. The steep-ish angles (74/74 in a 58cm) and a longer than normal top tube (59.5cm) made it ideal for sprinting...at least for me. Mine is yellow, the only other choice that year was purple (I think). The next/last year of that frame it was black or purple. I got mine repainted the same shade of yellow back in '93 because the stock paint was crap. I'd had a rear seat stay replaced when UPS crushed it coming back from the OTC and after ~4 years of 500+ miles a week it was a well worn machine. I still have it but it now is the back-up bike for my Seven....which is a duplicate of the Phinney in every way. As "reliable" as Shimano can be, do the bike a favor and put a Veloce or Chorus group on it. You could even find Sachs Ergo in 8 speed laying around (or on ebay) and save a few bucks. Unless you just want Shimano 'cuz it's an easy way out...or as my brother calls Shimano "del grouppo di plastico" :D