PDA

View Full Version : Old Guys, Recovery Drinks, and the Caloric Dilemma

DesertJack
07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
I have here an advice and experience sharing request..... particularly from you fellow senior riders. Anyone?

I'm an older rider (61yrs) that is riding on average 175 miles/week. I ride 5 days a week usually, both solo rides (35-60 miles/~16+mph average speed and sometimes faster if I feel frisky) and weekend club rides of various intensities.

I am doing my best to hold back the liver-spotted hands of time. I am planning on riding a 5 day San Francisco to Los Angeles fundraiser ride (R2R) in October and want to do the entire ride without the indignity of a medevac intervention. I want to ride at or near the front of my biking circle for a decade more. I want to grow older without growing up.

I - a classic mesomorph - need to lose some weight (196lbs/5'10") and despite the miles I ride the weight is very slooooooooly coming off. I am an excellent cook and prepare healthy, fresh foods mixing lots of fish with poultry and red meat only 2Xweek. I eat fruit and salads until it comes out of my ears and I dont cheat with candy or Starbucks.

I am experiencing muscle soreness, mostly in my quads and especially after I push it hard. I am thinking I might benefit from a Recovery Drink and my dilemma is how to deal with the extra calories the Endurox (or other products) will add to my diet. I live in the desert where it is HOT and DRY and need to drink lots of water during and after riding. I dont mess with additives to my water bottles, but maybe I need to consider that too. Most of these products are offered in supposedly complimentary hydration/recovery/supplement families of products. Best to pick and choose the individual products or stick with the product line?

I want to do the right thing, but dont want to become obsessive and so self-absorbed with my hydration and nutrition that the fun goes away (I've witnesses too many weekend "athletes" that become unbearably preachy and monkish with their unctions and bottles of mysterious supplements).

Watcha y'all think? Any of you guys use this $49.00 for 12 servings stuff regularly? Does it really beat the Turkey and Cheese Sandwich on rye post-ride meal? The thought has ocured to me - and I dont like it - that possibly the soreness is just an unavoidable side-effect of being >60 and acting like I'm 25! Tell me it aint so and that some quasi-scientific sounding product will cure my ills!

thanks
cheers
Jack

Pete Serotta
07-21-2009, 06:20 PM
I am about the same age, weight, and miles per week. Last year I started using NUUM in my drinks (very few calories) and it has helped the recovery and the ride (I do not know why :confused: ).

Can not tell you much about the recovery drinks for I do not use anything but the above or gatorade on my normal weekly "adventures".

If you were doing double centuries or marathons the supplements might play more of a part. When I rode the Ride the Rockies, I had one of the fruit smoothies they sold are the rest stop each day and this seems to help on those multiple day rides//

You did not mention, but do you also do some weight workouts at the gym for the upper body? That could help is not taxing the system as much and thus a faster recovery. (Yes I do gym at least twice per week.)

I do have meat about three to four times per week and while I eat fruit and some salads - vegetables are not something that I have enough of.

Lastly, have you had someone, lately, check your position on the bike and with the cleats...

Interested to hear what others say for many of these things are trial and error.

CNY rider
07-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Put some Fig Newtons in your jersey pocket and eat one every half hour or so.
Taste good, price is right, and can't beat the nutrition and electrolyte content.

riceburner
07-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I think you can replicate most drinks with more natural substitutes: oatmeal, banana, peanut butter, citrus, etc. etc.

SoCalSteve
07-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Funny (true) story...My wife's 94 year old grandmother complained to her Doctor that she has been slowing down of late and does not have the energy that she once had and cannot play bridge and Scrabble the way she used to...Doctor asked how often does she play...her response, 3-5 times a week.

Point being, you are doing great! Thats a lot of miles a week at a very nice average...

I think its more of that you have to listen to your body and when its sore, take time off, let it recover. You do the most good for your body when it is at rest and recovering from tearing it down on the days that you do work hard...

You may find that if you ride a bit less often, you may truly enjoy the rides that you do more. You will be less sore and have more energy. And, you are giving your body a chance to recover...

As for the weight loss, there is nothing wrong with losing it slowly...It will take that much longer for it to come back...Never about dieting, always about lifestyle choices...for the rest of your life!

Good luck! Sounds like you are doing great!!!

Steve

PS: Small portions on the days that you dont ride, and smaller portions on the days that you do ride...

zray67
07-21-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm in my late sixties so this tread is of great interest to me. I live in San Francisco. Since the early eighties there has been a great influx of Chinese to the city. Subsequently, there are many more Tai Chi groups in the parks and open spaces through out the city. I can almost always tell the difference between a native born Chinese American and an immigrant. The immigrants are so much more flexible. Given the immigrants probably have a stronger work habit. But it is the immigrants diet that helps them the most. Their diet is very low in fish, meat, sugars, fats, carbohydrates compared to an american diet. This vegetable diet can increase flexibility and endurance. The writers to read on this subject are;

DR. Dean Ornish - Reversing and Preventing Heart Disease

DR. Phillip Maffetone - He has a number of books

For exercise besides bicycling;

Dr. Len Schwartz - Heavy Hands Walking(Ebay generally has buys on the apparatus)

Amazon has the above books.

Everything that these guys write about is simple. Problem is it is NOT easy.

Steve in SLO
07-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Taste good, price is right, and can't beat the nutrition and electrolyte content.

+1 and add a couple of Tums for the Calcium. I have a friend who swears by them.

dekindy
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Go to the health food store and get some Whey Protein and mix in liquid of your choice or get some Hammer Nutrition Recoverite. I started drinking Whey Protein this year after every ride and my muscles do not get as sore and I recover much faster and feel much better the evening of and day after a ride. Don't worry about the calories. This will help your body build itself stronger. It is best to consume this within 30-60 minutes after the finish of a ride.

Or if you want to keep it simple, some cereal with milk and a banana is excellent for recovery.

slowandsteady
07-22-2009, 02:58 PM
+1 on what SoCal Steve said!

Also - if you are riding that much and eating properly and giving yourself enough protein to rebuild the muscle during your REST periods then do not go by your weight. Go by how you feel and look - i.e. muscle tone and mass.

Are you tired all the time? You may be overtraining or not sleeping enough. Your body at 61 does not produce as much HGH during recovery as your younger brothers in training - yeah, it sux but it is reality.

Remember: Muscle is approx 6 times heavier than fat! So if you are building (lean) muscle mass then your weight may be increasing. Weight alone is a poor indicator of body composition.

Remember: REST periods are when your body grows and heals and builds muscle. you need LOTS of rest to heal and move forward along with your training and eating regimine.

You may want to see a SPORTS nutritionist for some help as well.

Likes2ridefar
07-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Seriously? They may taste good - flavor factories are good at that. Not to be mean or anything, but recommending fig newtons is just terrible advice.

Ingredients: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), FIGS PRESERVED WITH SULFUR DIOXIDE, CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, WHEY (FROM MILK), PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, SALT, BAKING SODA, CALCIUM LACTATE, MALIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), POTASSIUM SORBATE ADDED TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR.

Geoff
07-22-2009, 03:28 PM
chocolate milk. just as good as anything else and taste good to.

Volant
07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm not quite there in years, but Recoverite has been very good to me.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=REC&PROD.ID=4051&OMI=10140,10082,10047&AMI=10140

Likes2ridefar
07-22-2009, 03:37 PM
And a more useful post, I would strongly consider drinking something other than just water while riding especially if you are dumping sweat by the liters. Perhaps it will help the muscles. It's worth a try, anyways.

Something simple like Heed by Hammer which is not very sweet and isn't loaded with garbage like gatorade and other 'over the counter' sports drinks. There are a bunch of others I like too, and I've tested them all seeing which I like best. They all seem to work more or less the same mostly just differing - sometimes dramatically - in taste. Carbo-Pro is nice if you don't like any flavor or sweetners. It tastes almost exactly like water. There's just a very subtle sweetness that reminds you something might be mixed in. It has no electrolytes though.

After rides I usually whip up a shake. either one that is considered a recovery type shake or simply a meal replacement shake, but to put it bluntly, I'm not old and I ride A LOT and am in serious need of calories each day. To eliminate many of the calories just use whey or soy protein with some fresh or fresh, frozen fruit and blend it up with some milk or part milk and water. or water. I use skim milk and make some awesome tasting shakes:)

Likes2ridefar
07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm not quite there in years, but Recoverite has been very good to me.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=REC&PROD.ID=4051&OMI=10140,10082,10047&AMI=10140

This is what I usually use. It's expensive though. I've been going through the hammer bucks but will have to start paying pretty soon again.

Unless anyone wants to order some and I'll give you a referral for a discount :D

Karin Kirk
07-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Lots of great advice so far. I'll reiterate that calories consumed on the bike and immediately after are not the place to cut back.

I have found recovery drinks to be noticeably helpful. My pref is for the Clif recovery drink because they use many organic ingredients. The dose is measured according to your body weight and you only drink one dose of it apres ride. May folks also swear by Hammer products, so you can't go wrong there either.

If you like fig newtons but don't want the artificial ingredients, try Fig Newman's. They're more natural-er.

Everyone is different, but for me, dinner time is the ideal place to cut back a little on portion size.

Overall, it sounds like you are way ahead of the curve and are doing things right. Keep having fun! :)

pjmsj21
07-22-2009, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=Likes2ridefar]This is what I usually use. It's expensive though. I've been going through the hammer bucks but will have to start paying pretty soon again.

I havent tried Recoverite, but I do use Perpetuem, also by Hammer and experience a very noticeable difference, so much so that I have pretty much sworn off the usual munchies on longer rides and live off of Perpetuem. Hammer products are not cheap but you can find deals.....REI now has Perpetuem for around $16 or $17.

BCS
07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
+1 on the Hammer products. Unfortunately, I find Perpeteum undrinkable once it gets warm. For long distance events, I have switched to Podium by Myogenesis.

Likes2ridefar
07-22-2009, 04:28 PM
I havent tried Recoverite, but I do use Perpetuem, also by Hammer and experience a very noticeable difference, so much so that I have pretty much sworn off the usual munchies on longer rides and live off of Perpetuem. Hammer products are not cheap but you can find deals.....REI now has Perpetuem for around $16 or $17.

I'll have to see if they sell recoverite. It goes for $50 retail for the 32 servings jug. Fortunately, I received A LOT of hammer dollars last year which are referral points for sending new customers hammer's way. I did a review on some bib shorts they had in '08 and got nearly a thousand hammer dollars from the generous referral program.

I absolutely hate Perpetuem. It goes to show you it's worth experimenting with all the various brands out there. If you don't like the taste of something you don't have to suffer through it. There's probably another brand out there that may satisfy the taste buds nicely.

I race endurance events both on and off road and have done WAY too much research on diet both on and off the bike to try and optimize my performance, and also not be puking at the Xth aid station due to various reasons.

The addition of protein is a big debate on whether it's necessary for even longer events like 12 hour races or the 100 mile mtb races I do. I've always ate in to the 4:1 ratio of carbs and protein that Hammer and other companies push as the ideal ratio. BUT, there are numerous studies out there supporting both camps, the other being carbs, carbs and more carbs. Studies support the market, imo, and can be tweaked to benefit the companies product quite easily. Have you noticed the 4:1 mixes are significantly more expensive than simply carbs?

I've tried to force feed perpetuem and accellerade over the years, both have protein, and I HATE the taste of both especially when it's very warm. At first the perpetuem is OK, and even great when it's chilled, but after 8 hours of riding and the hammer has sat in the bottle cage for 2 hours in the sun the stuff is disgusting to my buds!

This year I've gone on a carbs only diet and have found my performance to be even better. I enjoy the taste of what I'm drinking, and don't feel like I'm going to gag 9 hours later.

On short rides I've found just a drink is fine, but after 4 or so hours I start needing a bit more so I supplement the drink with clif gel shots or gu shots. Both are chewy versions of gel, taste far better, and aren't messy.

On hot days and when I'm racing, I usually take electrolyte pills once every hour.

But, take all of the above for what it's worth, I'm racing not just riding and racing HARD to win not to just finish. If I was just cruising along perpetuem would probably be tolerated much easier.

Likes2ridefar
07-22-2009, 04:31 PM
+1 on the Hammer products. Unfortunately, I find Perpeteum undrinkable once it gets warm. For long distance events, I have switched to Podium by Myogenesis.

Never heard of this stuff. I just checked out their site. I may have to try it out.

BUT, the ingredients just seem to be a typical electrolyte drink very similar to Heed with the addition of Whey protein. I could probably just add that myself...

DesertJack
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I've been reading all these replies with great interest. Thanks all. Keep them coming.

My response to this input has been to order some Endurox and Recoverite and am now also searching for a mix for my water bottles. Currently - and I did not mention this in the original post because .... well.... there is only so much one can say about something in one post - I also usually carry a couple of Powerbars or Cliff Bars on my rides. Sometimes I eat one, rarely I eat two (after 50 miles or better) during a ride. If I am riding in the city where there are stores I sometimes stop and buy a pint of OJ, or one of the various Gator-Aid drinks and chug them. I used to do the Fig Newton thing back in NJ maybe 10 years ago (back in the pre Cliff Bar, pre Powerbar era). I also used to mix something called Cytomax into my water. For some reason I got away from those things (maybe it was because I didnt like eating out of the soggy baggy of macerated newtons, or the gag-inducing Cytomax once it warmed to ambient temps).

I am thinking that using a variety of these recovery products is probably a reasonable strategy. One day this, one day that, the third day another, and so on. That way one might mitigate the shortcomings of one product and perhaps even defeat the boredom factor. I spent my career doing preclinical toxicology and drug metabolism studies and perhaps have a higher than average paranoia regarding self-dosing and ingesting stuff that is not clinically studied. The "food additive" industry is practically unregulated and the claims made by the purveyors can be unsubstantiated and misleading ("natural male enhancement" for instance). That is one prime reason that I am soliciting experiences from you folks. Experience talks, BS walks.

Thanks and keep relating....

best regards
Jack

BCS
07-22-2009, 05:04 PM
the ingredients just seem to be a typical electrolyte drink very similar to Heed with the addition of Whey protein. I could probably just add that myself...

I agree 100%. I also prefer complex carbs and try to avoid simple sugars (the Hammer philosophy). But flavor and drinkability really matters, especially when using liquids as the sole fuel for a ride/race. The thought of a warm bottle of Sustained Energy makes me want to hurl. (I doubt any Hammer bucks are coming my way--Heed, Recoverite and hammer gel are really good products ATMO)

Birddog
07-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm a big believer in "recovery" drinks,I think it is the single most important post ride thing you can do. I'm a little older than you and put in similar mileage. I don't bother with the recovery drink or even a supplement until I ride 35 or more miles. Up to that point, water seems to suffice. I have used Endurox for several years and haven't bothered to switch because it works for me. I also use Accelerade, but I mix it with powdered Gatorade preferably "Endurance formula" Gatorade. I use 1 scoop Acc with a scoop and a half of Gator in a 24 oz bottle. I find I don't have to supplement with Clif Bars or other stuff until around the 75 or 80 mile mark. If I know I'm going long (75+ miles), then I have a bar or gel sooner and take them more often. If it's hot, I add more electrolytes, usually whatever I find at the convenience store.

Birddog

WadePatton
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
more greens, less meat.

seriously.

pm me with email for more info.

Likes2ridefar
07-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I agree 100%. I also prefer complex carbs and try to avoid simple sugars (the Hammer philosophy). But flavor and drinkability really matters, especially when using liquids as the sole fuel for a ride/race. The thought of a warm bottle of Sustained Energy makes me want to hurl. (I doubt any Hammer bucks are coming my way--Heed, Recoverite and hammer gel are really good products ATMO)

What does the stuff you mentioned, sorry I forget the name, taste like? For most my races I just mix 1-1.5 hour bottles. Right now I'm using Heed subtle melon, carbo-pro, and accelerade hydro for no parcticular reason other than they all work and that's what I have. The acc. hydro has protein, another 4:1 and I actually find it pretty good tasting but it's still way stronger flavored than Heed and carbo-pro, and I try to stay away from that because I know I don't like it after about 6 hours in the heat.

What really ruined me with hammer and sustained energy were the times I had to mix a 4 to 6 hour bottle due to no or limited support. Just thinking about the taste of that concoction makes me feel ill.

JumpStart
07-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Seriously? They may taste good - flavor factories are good at that. Not to be mean or anything, but recommending fig newtons is just terrible advice.

Ingredients: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), FIGS PRESERVED WITH SULFUR DIOXIDE, CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, WHEY (FROM MILK), PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, SALT, BAKING SODA, CALCIUM LACTATE, MALIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), POTASSIUM SORBATE ADDED TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR.
Before Gu, HammerGel, PowerGel, etc...lots of riders would carry fig newtons and a banana. I recall Greg Lemond being a big fig newton fan. That said, I haven't had a fig newton in years, but I'm starting to feel a craving coming on!!

Wanker
07-22-2009, 11:43 PM
more greens, less meat.

seriously.

pm me with email for more info.

Read: The Engine 2 diet. Something to be learned here. wank

fiamme red
07-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Polar insulated bottles help the Sustained Energy or Perpetuem mix stay palatable longer on a hot day, perhaps an extra hour or even more.

jemoryl
07-23-2009, 09:49 AM

Seriously, the only thing I would be concerned with from that list is the hydrogenated cottonseed oil (and it appears to be a fairly minor component). If you eat any dried fruits (or drink wine) it will most likely be preserved with sulfur dioxide - not an issue unless you have an allergy (and those who do know not to eat things like this). Maybe some high-zoot fig newtons from Whole Foods would have a nicer sounding ingredient list?

goonster
07-23-2009, 09:51 AM
FIGS PRESERVED WITH SULFUR DIOXIDE, CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, WHEY (FROM MILK), SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER),
Virtually all dried fruit is sulfured. Corn syrup is not worse than sugar (so what the quantity). What's so terrible about soybean oil? Lecithin is not a problem either, in fact I know folks who take it as a supplement.

fiamme red
07-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Seriously, the only then I would be concerned with from that list is the hydrogenated cottonseed oil (and it appears to be a fairly minor component). If you eat any dried fruits (or drink wine) it will most likely be preserved with sulfur dioxide - not an issue unless you have an allergy (and those who do know not to eat things like this). Maybe some high-zoot fig newtons from Whole Foods would have a nicer sounding ingredient list?Fig Newmans (http://www.newmansownorganics.com/food_fignewmans.html). They've been around for a long time.

Likes2ridefar
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Virtually all dried fruit is sulfured. Corn syrup is not worse than sugar (so what the quantity). What's so terrible about soybean oil? Lecithin is not a problem either, in fact I know folks who take it as a supplement.

I didn't mean to imply all those ingredients were bad. Most of them are simply not necessary for cycling. There are far more efficient means to fuel yourself.

The OP eats healthy already so why introduce flavor factory crap? It just doesn't make sense. Maybe back in the day fig newtons were not so poor quality. They were probably more like the organic ones listed by a few people here. It's cheaper to make high fructose corn syrup and to use a minimal amount of fig subsitituted with 'natural' and 'artificial' flavors than it is to buy raw sugar and figs.

From that list, the only one that scares me away is the high fructose corn syrup. that stuff is poison as far as I'm concerned.

JumpStart
07-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I've never bonked when using Perpetuem or Hammer Gel, but I did back in the day of fueling with Fig Newtons.
Old stories abound of desperately seeking a 7-11, or hearing of a buddy siting on the side of the road in a hypoglycemic daze.

jvp
07-23-2009, 01:17 PM
my recovery drink of choice:
http://media.divinecaroline.com/ext/article_images/sierranevada.jpg
But only one, along w/ a carby lunch.

CNY rider
07-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I didn't mean to imply all those ingredients were bad. Most of them are simply not necessary for cycling. There are far more efficient means to fuel yourself.

The OP eats healthy already so why introduce flavor factory crap? It just doesn't make sense. Maybe back in the day fig newtons were not so poor quality. They were probably more like the organic ones listed by a few people here. It's cheaper to make high fructose corn syrup and to use a minimal amount of fig subsitituted with 'natural' and 'artificial' flavors than it is to buy raw sugar and figs.

From that list, the only one that scares me away is the high fructose corn syrup. that stuff is poison as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, the first two ingredients are flour and figs.
I'm not a fan of HFCS either.
I am an educated, healthy eater and wouldn't consider them "crap".
I think they are perfectly appropriate cycling food for the vast majority of riders. They may cost only 1/10 of the products you seem to prefer but that doesn't make them bad.

pjmsj21
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I've never bonked when using Perpetuem or Hammer Gel, but I did back in the day of fueling with Fig Newtons.
Old stories abound of desperately seeking a 7-11, or hearing of a buddy siting on the side of the road in a hypoglycemic daze.

Ditto my experience as well and it will be on my bike a week from today when I am on Ramrod. Yes by the end of the day you really do get tired of it and long for something that you can sink your teeth into, but for my body and others, it really makes a signficant difference.

Likes2ridefar
07-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Actually, the first two ingredients are flour and figs.
I'm not a fan of HFCS either.
I am an educated, healthy eater and wouldn't consider them "crap".
I think they are perfectly appropriate cycling food for the vast majority of riders. They may cost only 1/10 of the products you seem to prefer but that doesn't make them bad.

What's the source for the figs and flour though, and the rest of the ingredients? The figs are probably grown in some giant greenhouse in Africa and sprayed with who knows what and picked by underpaid people, essentially slaves, and then sold for 400% profit here in the USA. total speculation, I know, but sadly it's probably pretty close to the truth.

I apologize for completely derailing from the OP's topic!!!!

And more on target: If cost is of a concern, which I've gathered it's not for the OP, you can always order a 50lb bag of maltodexterin and voila, you have the most insanely cheap energy drink which will last you a year or more. Add some whey or soy protein bought in bulk and you are nearing Perpetuem. Add some electrolytes and you got yourself the real deal that goes for $50 a jug.

jemoryl
07-23-2009, 04:04 PM
What's the source for the figs and flour though, and the rest of the ingredients? The figs are probably grown in some giant greenhouse in Africa and sprayed with who knows what and picked by underpaid people, essentially slaves, and then sold for 400% profit here in the USA. total speculation, I know, but sadly it's probably pretty close to the truth.......

I suppose the same thing can be said about the ingredients in all the overpriced potions and powders that people have been recommending. Where is your maltodextrin sourced? I might trust some of the dietary supplement companies less than agribusiness.

Oh and on the fig newtons (I don't actually use them - I tend to eat Cliff bars): some people used to throw some light salt (a mix of sodium and potassium chloride) in the baggie to stick to the newtons, boosting the electrolyte content.

Karin Kirk
07-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm growing my own malodextrin this year, hydroponically of course. I was going to try to grow some heirloom malodextrin too, just to preserve the historical malodextric genetic lines.

Buying your own food is sooo last year.

:) :) :)

DesertJack
07-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm growing my own malodextrin this year, hydroponically of course. I was going to try to grow some heirloom malodextrin too, just to preserve the historical malodextric genetic lines.

Buying your own food is sooo last year.

:) :) :)

No, non, nein, nyet........

Growing your own is so.... Mother Earth News-ish, and way passe and selfish. Its time to shave the legs, trade in the Birkinstocks for plastic Crocks and take the sacrament of eco-maltodextrin.

What is hip today is to send certified pale and sallow skinned sensitive new-age guys (knowledge of any competitive sport disqualifies with prejudice) to a third world hellhole and have them - assuming an attitude of psychic self-flaggelation and guilt assumption for all the thoughtless ingestion of right-wing factory-carbs by the western world - trudge the jungle in a Land Rover (red, with iPod connectivity) and recruit ex-guerilla fighters to grow in dense (bird loving) shade a primal maltodextrin that is unpurified and rich in terroir and the natural flavoring of bird droppings, beetle legs, and the sweat of the peons sanctified with the responsibility of growing the sweet stuff for consumption by us so it can be packaged in very cute rough-hewn made in India paper and sold at thrice the price in high-end gourmet cycle shops .

Man, that sounds good!

Maybe fig newtons mashed in a baggie, carried in the center pocket and heated by the sun and the riders body is the way to go... Back to the roots.

I've ordered three different brands of recovery product, two species of drink-while-ya-drive additives, and - for no good reason - a cool coffee cup I saw on the Hammer website.

I'll let y'all know the results of my little science experiment if anyone is interested.

cheers
Jack

CNY rider
07-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I suppose the same thing can be said about the ingredients in all the overpriced potions and powders that people have been recommending. Where is your maltodextrin sourced? I might trust some of the dietary supplement companies less than agribusiness.

No, the expensive stuff is prepared by virgins wrapped in white robes who have purified themselves with rose water daily.
Now go eat your evil Fig Newtons, made from toxic figs, poison flour and the labor of poor starving children who are beaten as they work their poor emaciated fingers to the bone churning out newtons.

Likes2ridefar
07-23-2009, 08:01 PM
No, the expensive stuff is prepared by virgins wrapped in white robes who have purified themselves with rose water daily.
Now go eat your evil Fig Newtons, made from toxic figs, poison flour and the labor of poor starving children who are beaten as they work their poor emaciated fingers to the bone churning out newtons.

It got a little tired after the 2nd or third version of this.

Anyways, sorry for ruffling the feathers and seriously distracting this post.

Blue Jays
07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I've had good experiences using Hammer Recoverite both pre-ride and post-ride coupled with flasks of Hammer Gel while in the saddle.
I typically don't count calories while riding and remain mindful of my food intake the rest of the day.

Likes2ridefar
07-23-2009, 08:39 PM
I've had good experiences using Hammer Recoverite both pre-ride and post-ride coupled with flasks of Hammer Gel while in the saddle.
I typically don't count calories while riding and remain mindful of my food intake the rest of the day.

This morning I was looking at the ingredients of Recoverite. For some reason I had never really bothered looking closely. I only knew it had protein and a few other things that were claimed good for recovery.

I've only had recoverite a few times and only because I can get it for free. I usually drink meal replacement shakes because I like the creamy vanilla flavor and they have way more stuff in them.

The jug is right beside some Heed and I started comparing them. They are exactly the same thing besides the protein and glutamine.

Heed is a heck of a lot cheaper. I think I bought, well, ordered, my last jug of recoverite and will just add some protein and maybe consider getting glutmaine to each shake.

Blue Jays
07-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Good point.
I just took a stroll to the kitchen after reading your post and compared labels, too.
A bit of added whey or soy protein and...shazam some cool homemade Recoverite!
It will be helpful to see Hammer Nutrition's insights on this, likely in their FAQ section.

Volant
07-23-2009, 10:34 PM
A lot of whey proteins taste aweful and they don't mix very well (clumps). I've found the Hammer Whey to be the best so far.

Re: Perpetuum, I did a 9-hour cycling event two weekends ago and that was my only source of fuel all day. No bonk and a big recoverite shake afterwards. No soreness the next day and I was able to do an easy 12 miles easy run to boot. It works for me. YMMV.

But, as others have stated, it can be pricey.

imm
07-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I like Endurox, though I wonder if anyone experienced the same added feature of jet propulsion on the following morning's ride?

bob the nailer
07-24-2009, 08:18 PM
I am a 54 so a little younger. I use two bottles of eload and one bottle of accelerade, i actually kind of like the orange accel, as long as it is cold. I am not much on recovery drinks, I have some emend and if i have gone a long way, 70-80 mi and I am not hungry when I get home, I will mix a teaspoon of emend in skim chocolate milk. If I am hungry, I just eat. Now I hesitate to mention this, and will likely get flamed, but if you are 5'10", and riding 600-700 miles per month, and weigh 196, perhaps your overall diet, although containing healthy foods, still contains too many calories. You might want to look at that. I personally think soreness comes with the territory riding that mch, and like most people, myself included, we don't rest enough. Who among us had not had the experience of riding with your usual group after you have been out of town for a week and wow look how strong/fast I am! Good luck on your ride and keep after it.

JumpStart
07-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Any experience with Ribose?

It's a carb with no caloric value. I have been experimenting with it recently. It seems to improve post ride energy, but that may be a placebo effect. A few studies suggest it may be helpful for chronic fatigue type illnesses.

Aside from Ribose capsules, the only recovery drink that I found that contains it is Jarrows "Creatine Surge." Creatine Surge looks like a lower calorie recovery drink option.

Blue Jays
07-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Creatine has a list of undesired side-effects for a cyclist...the primary one being significant fluid retention and associated weight gain.
Creatine does produce an increase in strength...yet not worth the hassle and feeling of sluggishness.

JumpStart
07-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Creatine has a list of undesired side-effects for a cyclist...the primary one being significant fluid retention and associated weight gain.
Creatine does produce an increase in strength...yet not worth the hassle and feeling of sluggishness.
Thanks. I'm not very familiar with Creatine. It seems like weight lifting supplementation is begining to overlap endurance nutrition.