PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone really want Contador to win?

GuyGadois
07-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Funny, but I find myself routing for anyone to beat Contador on these cols. It's not that I don't like him but I would really enjoy seeing someone or anyone drop him on a climb. Sadly, I don't think that can happen.

Anyone else wishing he would get dropped?

-GG-

c-record
07-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Otherwise all of Spain is rooting for him.

soupless
07-21-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm not rooting against Alberto, but I'd like to see a good fight.

dekindy
07-21-2009, 12:13 PM
No. I am not aware of anything that would inspire that kind of feeling from anyone. Is there something I am not aware of that makes him someone that I should despise?

Acotts
07-21-2009, 12:26 PM
No. I am not aware of anything that would inspire that kind of feeling from anyone. Is there something I am not aware of that makes him someone that I should despise?

Talent. Lots of it.

Louis
07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
He's the best cyclist out there (for that type of race) and deserves to win.

Ozz
07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
He's the best cyclist out there (for that type of race) and deserves to win.
+1 I hope the best rider wins.....

93legendti
07-21-2009, 12:35 PM
I do. He looks great on the bike; is not afraid to attack and let's his riding do the talking...what's not to like?

cadence90
07-21-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm not rooting against Alberto, but I'd like to see a good fight.
I thought the Schleck bros v. Contador/Kloden v. Nibali/the amazing Wiggins with Armstrong bridging back was a heck of a fight.

Contador is clearly the best.

Ozz
07-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I do. He looks great on the bike; is not afraid to attack and let's his riding do the talking...what's not to like?
well said.

:beer:

GuyGadois
07-21-2009, 12:39 PM
...what's not to like?

He is the best TDF rider out today. But...

1. I always like an underdog
2. I am always suspicious of Spanish riders (more than any other country Spain is the most lax with doping, well next to Kazakhstan :rolleyes:
3. To bring a little excitement to this tour. It is proceeding as a formula now. We all know the end result now we are just watching how they get there.

Personally, I would love to see Wiggins do it.

-GG-

Bud_E
07-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Yep. He seems like a classy guy -- no whining with all the LA/Astana drama. I'm rooting for him.

Ray
07-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Like others, I'd like to see an exciting race and would like to see him challenged. But I'm cool with him winning. Anyone who can climb like that, hold his own in the TT's, and doesn't appear to be an obvious prick, is a good guy to have on top.

-Ray

sc53
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I hope Alberto wins because he's been just incredible in the climbs. But I truly wish he'd develop a new "victory salute" because the old one is just tired. Cavendish comes up with a new one each time, so should Alberto.

Satellite
07-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Yep I want Contador to win much more than I want Lance to win. I like Lance but Contador is a better rider at this point in Cycling. “Lance is so three years ago!” (Valley Girl Accent). I would also like to see something special from Cadel.

weiwentg
07-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I'd like to see Contador win.

That said, I don't like to see the same person winning all the time. I would hope to see Contador beaten fair and square some day.

Johny
07-21-2009, 02:30 PM
http://www.velonews.com/article/95548/contador-i-can-breathe-a-little-easier
Q: Do you believe you demonstrated yesterday that you’re the new patron of the peloton?

AC: In my head, I am absolutely the same today as I was yesterday; nothing will have changed at all.

93legendti
07-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I think the climb up the Ventoux will be beyond exciting. That climb is long and steep enough to lend itself to repeated attacks.

97CSI
07-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Go LA.
Go Kloden.
Go Shleck(s).
Go Vande Velde.
Go Wiggins.
Go all the top doges except Contador (well.......not really).

All that said, I only care the LA wins and don't really care one way or another unless it is another American. But, with Levi gone, I don't see that. The most important is that it is a good race, which it has been thus far. Especially with some of the new winners, like Astraloza, today. It is nice that no one is 7-mintues ahead at this time. That a few breaks have stayed away. That there was the heart-break (for him, anyway) of GH not quite making it. Tough out there in the pro peleton and is great entertainment. Next two mtn stages and the TT should be most interesting. Zabriskie could pull off a miracle and end up on the podium. Other than Contador and LA, the rest of the race is wide open in the top-10.

cadence90
07-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Zabriskie could pull off a miracle and end up on the podium.
That would be a miracle indeed, given that he's currently 71st, 00:59:47 down, and riding (insanely well, esp. today) for Wiggins. ;)

97CSI
07-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Remember............you read it here first. :D

Johny
07-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Other than Contador and LA, the rest of the race is wide open in the top-10.

+1, Contador will win and LA is definitely out of the top 10. :)

Elefantino
07-21-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm rooting for whoever doesn't dope to win.

:argue:

prolearts
07-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Personally, I'm not anti-Contador per se, but just like I thought it incredibly boring being a Chicago Bulls fan in the 90s (or choose your dynasty), it's just nice to have something not be a forgone conclusion. Vive la underdog!

I'm pulling for Wiggo, it's just more fun that way.

Mad props to Armstrong for bridging the gap today. Hooray for the "old folks!"

Len J
07-21-2009, 04:01 PM

So you are watching what sport then?

len

William
07-21-2009, 04:09 PM
So you are watching what sport then?

len

Curling?

William :)

Derailer
07-21-2009, 04:19 PM
I was not a Contador fan until he gave what I thought was a classy interview after winning the yellow jersey. Seems like an OK guy to me.

Bob Ross
07-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Especially with some of the new winners, like Astraloza, today.

Thanks for the spoiler alert

...not.

Ray
07-21-2009, 04:34 PM

I'm gonna go enter real quick, so when they bust all the dopers, I'll win by default.

Lance is FAR from a sure thing for the podium, although the way he chased back today was more than I'd seen from him so far. So maybe he can hang on Ventoux and stay put. I'd still bet on Wiggins to get that 11 seconds back and then some and move into second if he doesn't have a bad day in the hills.

Its all fun. Watching them descend through the Alps in Hi Def is a definite treat of modern life. Bummer about Jens though - I hope no lasting damage but that looked nasty.

-Ray

roguedog
07-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Yep. He seems like a classy guy -- no whining with all the LA/Astana drama. I'm rooting for him.

+1. He seems quiet and understated.. I like that.

And Jens... All I could think of was "Ouch..." Dude, I like Jens.. Hope it's not too bad.

johnnymossville
07-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Alberto's Pea Shooter Salute is kinda lame. I prefer Bettini's Street Sweeper.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/xnodesign/shooters.jpg

paczki
07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Did you hear that interview with Levi where he said that Contador doesn't just want to win, he wants to crush and destroy. I think beneath that relatively calm surface is a personality much like the other guys who've won a lot of Grand Tours -- perhaps with the exception of Indurain.

johnnymossville
07-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Did you hear that interview with Levi where he said that Contador doesn't just want to win, he wants to crush and destroy. I think beneath that relatively calm surface is a personality much like the other guys who've won a lot of Grand Tours -- perhaps with the exception of Indurain.

I haven't seen the crush and destroy part yet. Maybe tomorrow though!

malcolm
07-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Yep I want Contador to win much more than I want Lance to win. I like Lance but Contador is a better rider at this point in Cycling. “Lance is so three years ago!” (Valley Girl Accent). I would also like to see something special from Cadel.

Most folks gave up on anything special from cadel several years ago.

Dekonick
07-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Good race thus far this year. I would like some drama to make it a bit more interesting as long as no one gets injured. So far my only complaint has been the advertizing on VS.

:)

:beer:

Climb01742
07-22-2009, 04:29 AM
i've enjoyed bradley wiggins' quotes and interviews. seems very no-BS and as the brits say, takes the piss out of himself. refreshing. alberto looks to be clearly the best climber, but it was cool to see the racing the last 3-5k of the second climb yesterday. just good exciting stuff. also, kudos to pelezotti (sp?) for winning the KoM with style.

William
07-22-2009, 04:38 AM
"Smile and wave boys. Just smiiiile and wave."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01207/contador-bruyneel-_1207974i.jpg

simple
07-22-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm waiting for him to be announced 'positive'.

TAW
07-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Curling?

I don't know...have you seen the way some of those guys and
gals wield that broom? They have to be on something. ;)

cadence90
07-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't know...have you seen the way some of those guys and
gals wield that broom? They have to be on something. ;)
True!

But William's secret to winning curling is not at all in doping hisownself...it's ALL in the fact that his stone is actually an old wire vegi steamer with several chattering squirrels locked up in it...talk about motivation and "enhanced performance"!!! :D

malcolm
07-22-2009, 04:45 PM
"Smile and wave boys. Just smiiiile and wave."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01207/contador-bruyneel-_1207974i.jpg

Has lance got the crazy eye workin

GuyGadois
07-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Today's stage makes me want Contador to get dropped even more. Preferably by a teammate! :cool:

Ozz
07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Today's stage makes me want Contador to get dropped even more. Preferably by a teammate! :cool:
Did he ever really have a "teammate"?

Team? Sure. Mates? Hardly.... :cool:

benji
07-22-2009, 05:56 PM
He doesn't seem to be a team player. I'm not sure how bright he is after watching this tour.

1centaur
07-22-2009, 07:15 PM
I'll hold my hand up - yes I want him to win, I like watching him ride. Back story's good; have not heard anyone say he's a bad guy, though seems a little green on tactics from time to time. Wonder if a new team will be able to recreate the power of the Astana hill climbing train.

Elefantino
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Me.

More and more.

"I'm good. I want to win. Eff all y'all."

Very Merckxian.

cadence90
07-22-2009, 07:53 PM
I definitely want him to win now.

And I hope he wins next year against whatever the new "EVERYTHINGISBIGGERINTEXASESPECIALLYMYEGO" juggernaut will be.

These mixed messages from the Astana camp are becoming so tiring.
I bet, despite the public statements indicating "all is well", that dinners with that group must be hell lately. I'm sure he just wants to get out of that viper's nest.

Presuming he wins, he'll be 4-4 in GTs.
Not bad for a guy who had brain surgery five years ago....

e-RICHIE
07-22-2009, 08:11 PM
i hope he wins atmo. it's his team. it's been his team since he won 2 years ago.
this recent distraction is nothing but a distraction. and atmo if johan had a spine
he would have kept it status quo. obviously he lives off the LA nipple as so many
do. i'm not a hater; i simply follow the sport and knows what goes on the other
11 months of the year.

ps

arrange disorder

;) ;) ;)
;) ;) :cool:
:) :) :rolleyes:

paczki
07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
This "controversy" is ridiculous. I honestly think Bruyneel just does this to amuse himself and the riders.
I want whoever is the strongest rider to win. And when the rider has panache in addition, like Contador or Andy Schleck, I'm thrilled.

e-RICHIE
07-22-2009, 08:35 PM
This "controversy" is ridiculous. I honestly think Bruyneel just does this to amuse himself and the riders.
I want whoever is the strongest rider to win. And when the rider has panache in addition, like Contador or Andy Schleck, I'm thrilled.
johan wants to make a statement and spray the TDF with his dna.
he was snubbed in 08 and contador was his meal ticket in the other
grand tours atmo. iow, last year, the TDF didn't matter, especially
since he was banned. well, guess what atmo. the menu is less limited
now, and he can't decide what to eat.

hey - thanks for reading.

ps

arrange disorder

:) :) :)
:) :) :)
;) :) :)

97CSI
07-23-2009, 06:50 AM
May the best rider win (AC first, LA second and AK third - all Astana podium). Bruynel will be with LA in their new team next year (Mellow Johnny's?) which will include about half of the present Astana team. Vinokurov will be back at the head of Astana and Cantador will be riding for Castroneves' Spainish team. Remember, you read it here first. :)

cadence90
07-23-2009, 07:14 AM
May the best rider win (AC first, LA second and AK third - all Astana podium). Bruynel will be with LA in their new team next year (Mellow Johnny's?) which will include about half of the present Astana team. Vinokurov will be back at the head of Astana and Cantador will be riding for Castroneves' Spainish team. Remember, you read it here first. :)
Yeah, except for the fact that if a race-car dude is associated with The Kid, it will be Fernando Alonso, not Helio Castroneves.

One is Spanish, Español, Spagnolo puro and is a F-1/Ferrari driver and loves cycling; the other is Brazimerican and is an IndyCar/Penske driver and rides a Bike Friday only in order to evade the IRS.

Muy diferente.... ;)

Flat Out
07-23-2009, 07:30 AM
One is Spanish, Español, Spagnolo puro and is a F-1/Ferrari driver...

Well, he drives for Renault, but... from your lips to God's ears, I'd love to see the kid in Red next year and that's coming from a hardcore tifoso. Rumor is an announcement is coming at Monza. We'll see.

cadence90
07-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Well, he drives for Renault, but... from your lips to God's ears, I'd love to see the kid in Red next year and that's coming from a hardcore tifoso. Rumor is an announcement is coming at Monza. We'll see.
Renault this year; Ferrari next season, if rumor be true.
Renault has no HQ in Monza, afaik, while Maranello is very nearby....

Contador in red with the prancing horse would be awesome.

Lifelover
07-23-2009, 07:42 AM
....obviously he lives off the LA nipple as so many
do......

We agree on this even though it hits much closer to home for you.

cadence90
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM
One is Spanish, Español, Spagnolo puro and is a F-1/Ferrari driver...Well, he drives for Renault, but... from your lips to God's ears, I'd love to see the kid in Red next year and that's coming from a hardcore tifoso. Rumor is an announcement is coming at Monza. We'll see.Renault this year; Ferrari next season, if rumor be true.
Rumor verified. Alonso is officially a Ferrari driver as of today, with Banco Santander as the main Ferrari sponsor. Raikkonen is out, so it will be Alonso/Massa, with Fisichella as the reserve.

I have no idea if Ferrari/Santander/Alonso are going to sponsor a cycling team, but it would be super if they did.
I would love to see Contador win the Tour next year, on this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/212/509889930_35f9c0f9be.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/2416000-2416999/2416491_269_full.jpg

http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/110/879/535/o_izYKAJoJJZkZ3bW.jpg