PDA

View Full Version : No one saw this coming

Elefantino
07-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Bruyneel, Astana to part ways
By Andrew Hood
Published: Jul. 21, 2009

The Johan Bruyneel era at the Astana team will conclude at the end of this season.

Bruyneel confirmed to Belgian television Sporza that he will stop running the Kazakhstan-backed team at the conclusion of the 2009 season, citing a breakdown over the expected return of Kazakh rider Alexander Vinokourov.

“Astana is a closed chapter for me,” Bruyneel told Sporza.

Bruyneel said relations with the Kazakh backers of the ProTour team have broken down over the the question of whether Vinokourov will return to Astana following his two-year ban for blood doping during the 2007 Tour de France. His two-year ban ends this month.

Vinokourov held a press conference before the start of the 2009 Tour in Monaco announcing his intention to rejoin the team, which was built following the wreckage of his former Liberty Seguros team in 2006 as part of the Operación Puerto doping scandal in Spain.

That press conference caught Bruyneel by surprise and the Belgian director said he will end his two-year stint as team manager of the troubled team.

Bruyneel’s exit will clear the way for Vinokourov’s return to cycling, but there is no word on who might run the team or what will happen with the team’s ProTour license.

If recent history is any indication, Vinokourov should expect a cool reception from Tour de France officials, who would likely frown on his presence in next year’s Tour. That doesn’t mean Vinokourov couldn’t race in other events.

Bruyneel’s confirmation before the start of Tuesday’s stage caught Astana team captain and race leader Alberto Contador by surprise.

“That’s the first I’ve heard of it,” Contador said when asked during a post-stage press conference. “Right now I am focusing on the final five stages of the Tour and when it’s all over, we can talk about what will happen with me and the team.”

Bruyneel’s exit from Astana will only fuel speculation of a new team with sponsors backing seven-time Tour champion Lance Armstrong.

Spanish media, meanwhile, have already reported that Contador could line up next season with a team sponsored by Spanish bank Santander and Renault, two sponsors currently backing Formula 1 star Fernando Alonso.

GuyGadois
07-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Goodbye Astana, hello Team Livestrong.

-GG-

dekindy
07-21-2009, 12:18 PM
I did not follow closely the lack of payment by sponser and sponsor removal from the jersey story. Maybe this and other issues had made him decide to leave and the Vinokourov story just brought this to the surface at an akward time?

erector
07-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Yes, Lance is back, and I think that this tour will be a good test for Contador to see if Lance will actually work FOR him, but I hope that the team essentially stays together. AC knows the power, technique and victory of JB as the team director. All the GT's that AC's won were with the help of Johann's team and guidance, and I HOPE that means AC will decide to stick close to his director. IF Lance decides to create the MellowJohnny's LiveSTRONG team, he'll most likely take good names from the Astana team, and AC knows he can win big tours with that team. Although there might be a Spanish team he could ride with, when was the last time a Spanish Team one major tours? Team Once? I think AC will be smart enough to know the importance of a great team led by a great director.

"you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" - "maybe one day you will join us, and LA and AC will be as one"

cadence90
07-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Although there might be a Spanish team he could ride with, when was the last time a Spanish Team one major tours? Team Once?
Technically, Oscar Pereiro Sio, Caisse d'Epargne, 2006.

rwsaunders
07-21-2009, 04:18 PM
JB won't have any difficulties finding a team.

OtayBW
07-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Goodbye Astana, hello Team Livestrong.

-GG-
Or would that be Team LiveNikeStrong?

Johann is already wearing the Nike shirts in the team car...

cadence90
07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Or possibly TeamLivesTrekoNikeg (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-done-with-astana) according to CN.

1. Bruyneel is definitely pisssed off.
2. Lance says "big announcement on Thursday".
3. The last 3 paragraphs and Mediator Rini Wagtmans' comments are truly confusing.... :confused:

Elefantino
07-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Team Swooshstrong.

GuyGadois
07-21-2009, 07:03 PM
I foresee Armstrong gone (and taking the strong men with him), Bruyneel obviously gone with him and Contador on a Spanish team next year. Vino will be left with his own team - the old Liberty Seguros, without strong backup, without the best riders in the world, without the leading coach and with flaky backers.

Good luck getting into the TDF next year!! They ain't going to touch you with an inanimate carbon rod.

http://aggregatemadbox.com/bloggregate/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/inrodwetrust.jpg

-GG-

Bob Loblaw
07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I foresee Armstrong gone (and taking the strong men with him), Bruyneel obviously gone with him and Contador on a Spanish team next year. Vino will be left with his own team - the old Liberty Seguros, without strong backup, without the best riders in the world, without the leading coach and with flaky backers.

Good luck getting into the TDF next year!! They ain't going to touch you with an inanimate carbon rod.

+1

Astana is going to become a second-tier team comprised of riders no one has ever heard of, plus Vino whom we wish we'd never heard of. And Contador is going to flounder without Astana. His ego is big enough to make him believe he doesn't need a strong team, but without Bruyneel, Kloden, Lance, Leipheimer, and Popovich, his Tour next year is going to be very different.

Team Bruyneelstrong, by any other name, will kick the same amount of tush.

BL

GuyGadois
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
If there was any doubt Contador will not be riding with any of his current teammates/directors next year then today's stage removed all doubt.

-GG-

Ozz
07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
If there was any doubt Contador will not be riding with any of his current teammates/directors next year then today's stage removed all doubt.

-GG-
Hmmm....I think we knew that the day Lance said he was coming out of retirement. :rolleyes:

GuyGadois
07-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Hmmm....I think we knew that the day Lance said he was coming out of retirement. :rolleyes:

Doesn't he still have one year left on his contract?

Ozz
07-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Doesn't he still have one year left on his contract?
Not if Lance is paying the bills....Isn't the one keeping the team afloat?

Bob Loblaw
07-29-2009, 08:16 PM
From what I gather, Contador's contract status is a bit murky. His contract is actually with Bruyneel to ride for Astana. With Bruyneel no longer working for Astana, Contador's contract might or might not be enforceable.

In any case, Vino has made it clear he's returning and that he aims to be the star of the Astana team. I doubt he'd want to be riding in anyone's shadow. I think it's a forgone conclusion that Contador is going to be looking for a team the moment Vino comes out of retirement.

BL