PDA

View Full Version : Faster, Taller? Maybe Weight/Height Classes For Athletes

1happygirl
07-20-2009, 07:03 PM
I guess I'm in trouble at 5'2" .....
(unless we develop height/wt classes like boxing that some are suggesting)

from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1200174/Top-athletes-track-faster-taller-predecessors.html#

Revealed: How world's top athletes have become taller and bigger (and faster) over past 100 years

By David Derbyshire
Last updated at 10:49 AM on 17th July 2009

The world's greatest athletes aren't just getting faster - they are also gaining in height, scientists say.

Today's record breaking sprinters are now six inches taller than their Edwardian counterparts while the best swimmers have gained four inches in the last 100 years.

In contrast, the average adult has grown just two inches in height since 1900.

Scientists say height gives sportsman such an advantage that the world's swimming and athletics bodies may soon have to introduce boxing-style weight classes.

Usain Bolt (right) won gold and set a new world record in the men's 200m final in the Beijing Olympics. He is 6ft 5in tall.
The ever growing size of elite athletes was highlighted last year when Usain Bolt - the 6ft 5in tall Jamaican - became the fastest man in the world, winning gold in the 100 and 200 metres sprint at the Beijing Olympics.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/16/article-1200174-025B983800000578-16_468x381.jpg

Bolt is such a towering figure he was once considered 'too tall' for sprinting.

American Michael Phelps, who won eight gold medals at Beijing, is another giant. At 6ft 4in he is four inches taller than Mark Spitz who won seven gold medals in the 1972 Munich Olympics.

According to the Duke study, published in the Journal of Experimental Biology, Bolt is part of a trend for taller and taller sportsmen.

The researchers collected heights and weights of world record 100 metre runners and 100 metre swimmers since 1900.

He found that the swiftest runners were 6.4 inches taller than they were in 1900 - while the best swimmers had gained 4.5 inches.

'In the future, the fastest athletes can be predicted to be heavier and taller,' said Dr Adrian Bejan, an engineer at Duke University, North Carolina.

'If the winners' podium is to include athletes of all sizes, then speed competitions might have to be divided into weight categories.

'Larger athletes lift, push and punch harder than smaller athletes, and this led to the establishment of weight classes in certain sports like boxing, wrestling and weight lifting.'

The average height of adults has increased over the last 100 years because of improved diet.

Elite athletes have grown disproportionately in height because of the fiercely competitive nature of modern sport.

In Victorian and Edwardian England, athletics and swimming was an amateur, part time activity in which even a tiny sportsman had a chance to shine on the world stage.

But as sport became more professional, and competitive, athletes needed every advantage - including height and build - if they were to reach the top.

Engineering student Jordan Charles, who led the study, said: "The trends revealed by our analysis suggest that speed records will continue to be dominated by heavier and taller athletes."

The researchers used their findings to develop a mathematical model that predicts an athlete's speed based on their height and weight. Using the model, they worked out how modern day stars would fare against the sprinters of the original Olympic Games of ancient Greece.

Mr Charles said: "In antiquity, body weights were roughly 70 percent less than they are today. Using our theory, a 100-metre dash that is won in 13 seconds would have taken about 14 seconds back then."

To create their model, the scientists used two types of motion - lifting weight vertically and overcoming drag horizontally - to describe running and swimming.

Mr Charles said his new way of looking at locomotion and size validated a technique in swim training - although for a different reason.

Swimmers are urged by their coaches to raise their body as far as they can out of the water with each stroke as a means of increasing their speed.

He said: "It was thought the swimmer would experience less friction drag in the air than in the water. However when the body is higher above the water, it falls faster and more forward when it hits the water.

"The larger wave that occurs is faster and propels the body forward. A larger swimmer would get a heightened effect. Right advice, wrong reason."

In 1930, the 100 metres dash world record was beaten by Canadian Percy Williams. Williams was just 5ft 6in tall - nearly a foot shorter than Usain Bolt.

In the 1980s, Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson won a string of records between them. Both men were 6ft 2in. In the last few years, the world record has been shared by 6ft 3in Asafa Powell and 6ft 5in tall Bolt.

How about the Spud Webb basketball class/league or the Thor Hushovd class in the tour?

I'm always slow anyway. Ha.

fiamme red
07-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Mr Charles said: "In antiquity, body weights were roughly 70 percent less than they are today. Using our theory, a 100-metre dash that is won in 13 seconds would have taken about 14 seconds back then."
First, a world-class time today in the 100m dash is 10 seconds, not 13.

Second, if body weights in antiquity were 70 percent less than they are today, and the average male today weighs 170 lbs, then in antiquity the average male weighed 50 lbs. :confused:

zott28
07-21-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm 6'2" and my 5'7" buddy leaves me in the dust every climb, I always have to catch him in the descents. Gravity, my enemy and friend.

RPS
07-21-2009, 09:39 AM
I guess I'm in trouble at 5'2" .....
Or we can rejoice in knowing that smaller people on average live longer. :)

This theory seems to address short-duration speed as in a sprint, which may not be directly related to other forms of speed. On a bike a sprint may favor a larger man (generally speaking although there are some exceptions), but climbing speed generally favors the smaller and lighter rider because of higher sustainable power-to-weight ratio. Whether top climbers today are larger than top climbers of 100 years ago would be interesting to know.

BTW, if we introduce small-size weight and/or height classes for sports that favor large people (football, basketball, sprinting, etc.), should we also introduce large-size classes for sports that favor smaller participants, like gymnastics or diving?

Acotts
07-21-2009, 09:55 AM
big Bad Berto is 130 pounds and pushing some folks are estimate he is pushing 6.75W/kg on the climbs. Unreal.

i dont think this article applies to the Tour.