PDA

View Full Version : Another benefit of cycling at higher intensity

RPS
07-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Good Morning America did a short piece this morning on the potential benefit of cycling on Parkinson’s disease. Neuroscientist Jay Alberts and his friend Dave discovered a connection between exercise and improvement in Parkinson’s during a 50-mile tandem ride. Dave’s motor control while writing was noticeably improved after the ride.

Cool stuff if confirmed.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=8109965&page=1

Question :confused: : Do you find it odd that more scientific research isn’t done on the effect of exercise on a multitude of physical and mental conditions? Why stop at tandem riding – will single riding not work as well if one rides hard? What about running, will that help Parkinson’s too?

The fact that this hasn’t been evaluated before seems surprising to me – in a way.

fiamme red
07-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Why stop at tandem riding – will single riding not work as well if one rides hard? What about running, will that help Parkinson’s too?Obviously, it isn't safe for a person with Parkinson's to ride a single bicycle. And if walking is difficult, running would be even more so.

RPS
07-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Obviously, it isn't safe for a person with Parkinson's to ride a single bicycle. And if walking is difficult, running would be even more so.
How advanced? I’m not familiar with the disease beyond the common hand tremors; however, the lady interviewed was walking with ease. Maybe she shouldn’t jog or run, but seemed like she could.

I see the major benefit of the research (if proven correct) as avoidance. Exercise in advance to avoid, delay, or minimize effect of this disease, as well as others.

flydhest
07-20-2009, 02:26 PM
How advanced? I’m not familiar with the disease beyond the common hand tremors; however, the lady interviewed was walking with ease. Maybe she shouldn’t jog or run, but seemed like she could.

I see the major benefit of the research (if proven correct) as avoidance. Exercise in advance to avoid, delay, or minimize effect of this disease, as well as others.

Your initial question is the important one. I would agree that past a certain stage, cycling on a single would be ill advised, but there is definitely a whole continuum for the disease. Studying the effect of excercise on the early stages seems worthwhile, I agree.