PDA

View Full Version : Riding and digs between Burlington VT and Montreal

NHAero
07-20-2009, 08:45 AM
We're thinking of a vacation next month and looking for suggestions for rides, good places to stay, and anything else (great food?) in the area starting north of Burlington (Lake Champlain islands?) to around Montreal. We'd like to get a B&B or similar and do rides in the area. Would like to hang out in Montreal for a couple of days. Is the Montreal area too trafficky? My sweetie doesn't like lots of traffic. Should we ride in northern VT and leave the bikes when we go to Montreal?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Marc

Smiley
07-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Come join Pete, myself, rapid Tourist and Zip and Zap for a week of riding in NH with Bike VT. We are doing a week starting Aug 16 th. contact me off line for details, its $995 per person and we have used www.bikeVT.com many times before. Smiley

Bruce K
07-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Mark -

Try PM'ing LarryD. He lives near Mad River Glen and might be able to help you out with some ideas.

Not trying to hijack the thread but....

Smiley, are you guys still thinking of a day to get together before your tour?

BK

benb
07-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I'd recommend the Islands route for sure, it's incredibly scenic...

It's also pretty exposed if the weather gets bad, and always tends to be windy.

Blue Paddle Bistro in South Hero (On Grand Isle, the southernmost island you would ride onto) is excellent. Hard to say if cycling clothes would be considered appropriate attire, but IIRC they have a diner-style counter as well and cycling clothes might be OK there.

RonW87
07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Places I have stayed and enjoyed:

Black Lantern Inn near Jay Peak.

Wildflower Inn, East Burke (the prettiest location in Vermont)

Inn at Mountain View Farm, East Burke (just up the road from and on same ridge as the Wildflower, ditto re prettiest location)

There are alos, as you probably know, lots of B&Bs and Inns near Sugarbush and Stowe (Green Mountain Inn in Stowe was fine). Climb over Smugglers Notch is killer from the SN side. Even tougher from the Stowe side.

Ron

NHAero
07-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks very much!