PDA

View Full Version : Pinstriping ideas ?

old & ugly
07-20-2009, 06:46 AM
I recently rescued another old & ugly frame, a '93 Litespeed Catalyst. It'll come back from repairs with a brushed finish and I was thinking that instead of chasing down the decals, I would get a local guy who pinstripes motorcycles to do some work on it.

Does anyone have a bike with hand pinstriping or even factory decals that look like pinstriping ? Would you please post the pics or email 'em to me. I'll post the finished frame and then the build if I go with it. Thanks !

avalonracing
07-20-2009, 07:09 AM
You are going to make the frame look like your forum name. ;)

old & ugly
07-20-2009, 07:31 AM
It's not me, it's my bikes that start out old and ugly. I like old school geo bikes and sometimes I find something in amazing condition, or like this Catalyst, with a seat post stuck in and the top torn off by a pipe wrench, vice clamp marks and shredded decals.
I know the ride will be fine and since I have no loyalty to Litespeed I thought I'd spiff it up with a nice pinstriping or just some airbrush paint around the head tube.
I bought an old Purple Sportster that had sort of lavender lettering on the tank and instead of going for a re-paint I had letters hand painted silver by the pinstriper. He did a nice job and could use some more work so I thought I'd put him on the catalyst. But I'm stuck for ideas, most of the pinstriping I see is like fluer d lise/penis/swords stuff which ain't my style.

avalonracing
07-20-2009, 07:54 AM
most of the pinstriping I see is like fluer d lise/penis/swords stuff which ain't my style.

Wow, that would be quite a look all together.

So, why not try something funky? Shine it up then paint it with a clear tint and see if it would look like an anodized Vitus? That's my vote. I think that it will either look super cool or really crappy but in either case it would be a cool thing to see.

Bruce K
07-20-2009, 08:19 AM
If you could find a guy who can REALLY do old school pinstripe hotrod flames, that might be interesting.

Especially if he can so some shadings/airbrush effects to enhance them.

I would tend to look at guys who do motorcycles or hotrods and see what sort of striping has been done to try and figure out what patterns work and which ones don't.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
07-20-2009, 09:08 AM
. . . and I'm sure people there will be able to give you some suggestions for local talent, if local is what you're after. If not, then the sky's the limit, because there's truly some amazing stuff done with custom motorcycle painting.

BBD

old & ugly
07-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Dave, I am part of the Harley community here and I got directed to www.pinheadlounge.com to look at some work. Searched 'bicycle' and found some freakbike stuff. I did get some ideas but what I was after here on Serotta was respectable road bike work if there is any out there. Thanks, Josh

Lurch
07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Check the Spectrum Powderworks web gallery, especially in the wet paint section. They have some bikes with pin striping that would give you some good ideas.

Spectrum Powderworks (http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/)

92degrees
07-20-2009, 01:15 PM
You can buy all kinds of adhesive automotive pinstriping at an auto paint store. Not that expensive, you can experiment, and it's removable.

Kevan
07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Not mine, but that of a dear pal of many here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=221260&postcount=1

Peter P.
07-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I can't offer suggestions for pinstripe schemes but I will say I wonder how VISIBLE any single color pinstriping will be against a brushed titanium finish. I think you'll be better off with multiple color artwork or pinstripes with a background color. Something to consider... and I look forward to the finished product!

P.S. This is the season for outdoor hot rod/motorcycle shows. I say attend a car/bike meet and check out the work, bring a camera and notepad, and ask for referrals. I think you'll hit the jackpot there.

John M
07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I recently rescued another old & ugly frame, a '93 Litespeed Catalyst. It'll come back from repairs with a brushed finish and I was thinking that instead of chasing down the decals, I would get a local guy who pinstripes motorcycles to do some work on it.

Does anyone have a bike with hand pinstriping or even factory decals that look like pinstriping ? Would you please post the pics or email 'em to me. I'll post the finished frame and then the build if I go with it. Thanks !

This dude can paint whatever you want.

http://2wheelercustoms.com/index.htm

sr51
07-20-2009, 07:55 PM
This is a flikr gallery dedicated to pinstriped bicycles.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/971940@N22/

avalonracing
07-20-2009, 08:32 PM
This is a flikr gallery dedicated to pinstriped bicycles.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/971940@N22/

Man, there is a fetish for everything!

old & ugly
07-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the help and suggestions so far. I have a few ideas to get started with but no final design yet. It might be a fluid kinda thing that will change as I watch the painter get started. I know I just posted this morning but I sure thought someone ( or a few ) would have a bike custom striped or artfully decorated and have pics to post and show us. We'll see what shows up till mine in finished and then I'll post it.