PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to manufac carbon fork to look like steel?

eddief
07-19-2009, 05:20 PM
are the properties of up to date carbon incompatible with manufacturing a carbon fork with the fine curved and narrow blades as in familiar nicely done steel ones? I was out riding the Bleriot today and one's mind turns to wondering. Or do they have to be big fat, flat, and winglike as in Ouzo Pro, etc? Seems like the narrow straight blades of the Wound Up are in nearly the right proportions, but not so elegant as a finely done steel one from years past.

dvs cycles
07-19-2009, 05:25 PM
If the carbon fork had the same shape as a steel fork the walls would have to be much thicker adding more weight making one of the biggest advantages to carbon null and void.

Serotta_Carbon
07-19-2009, 08:47 PM
It is possible to make carbon forks look like older/traditional metal forks. In fact some of the early offerings from Trek and some of the others looked this way. And...it's possible without making them especially heavy. Keep in mind that the carbon fiber / epoxy materials we're using are roughly 1/6th the weight of steel and we can also select fibers that are much stiffer than steel's modulus of 30msi to maintain the stiffness of the more slender cross sections used in metal fork blades.

When designing the shapes of products like the Ouzo Pro we were specifically trying to make them look different from other products and give them a more "modern" look so to speak. With molded carbon parts we have much more freedom as designers to play with shapes for the purpose of both form and function. I believe the marketing folks call it product differentiation.

eddief
07-19-2009, 09:43 PM
to a wondering question. I appreciate you'd take the time. I know steel is real, but light steel is cool too. Maybe time to do a retro-oriented steel-look-oriented carbon fork.

Avispa
07-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Eddie,

A few years ago, time made a carbon fork that looked just like a steel fork: Smaller blades, bell shaped crown, etc. I am assuming that is what you meant, right?

Today, however, i think everyone one is making their carbon forks with larger more aero blades, which is not the look of a standard steel fork.

..A..