PDA

View Full Version : Quick links for 11 speed chain

thinpin
07-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Has anybody had any experience with connex or other makers links in the new campag 11 speed chains? Its a real factor in whether I buy a new 10 or 11 speed gruppo. The roads are so sandy around here I like to clean the chain off the bike every 250km or so.

Dave
07-19-2009, 03:43 PM
I've used a Wipperman connex link, but it was the no-longer-made 10S1 model. Others have had luck with the SRAM 10 powerloc, but it's not very easy to remove (but it can be done with the right pliers). The Forster model 4 should work about the same, but goes click, click click, every time it rides over the cogs. KMC is just starting production on an 11 speed chain with a master link, but I don't know of any source for it yet. Eventually, they will probably sell the link separately.

The KMC chain won't be cheap, compared to Campy.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=KMCACHAI6700000 00000

I don't like that the Campy chain is not removeable, but I deal with it by wiping after every ride and occasionally performing a chain cleaning on the bike. I brush or squirt a small stream of mineral spirits or diesel on the chain and catch the excess with a folded paper shop towel, then apply my regular home brew lube. It's a bit of a pain, but I sure like the performance of 11 speed. The shifting is great.

thinpin
07-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks Dave, as always, a gold mine of info! I have the alloy centaur from 2009 and really do not like the soft shift. I hope the new athena his a more campy-like shift to it.

Charles M
07-19-2009, 06:42 PM

Dave
07-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks Dave, as always, a gold mine of info! I have the alloy centaur from 2009 and really do not like the soft shift. I hope the new athena his a more campy-like shift to it.

There's a rumor that Campy made a running change to the '09 10 speed shifters to make the right finger clicks more distinctive, but I've not been able to confirm that. I might call Campy USA and see if they know anything about it.

I have no problem at all with the 11 speed clicks.