PDA

View Full Version : Sketchy Front End ?

bumpin
07-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Only second post, first was a dire effort with bike fit. . .apologies.

Been out on a HSG IT a few times and am finding the front end quite sketchy when putting on some power almost to the point of bailing. Knowing this could well be operater trouble has anyone found anything similar ?

Front end gear,

Easton EA 90 SL
S Fork 8.5
40cm FSA wing Pro bars
Ritchy 95 Axis 4 Stem.

I had the bike fitted by a Serotta dealer during a Stateside visit with everthing feeling right. Any ideas mucho appreciated, - thanks in advance.
:confused:

malcolm
07-16-2009, 07:58 PM
properly fitted and balanced on the bike I can't imagine stock serotta geometry being sketchy. I've owned and ridden several all fairly close to stock geo and they were all rock solid. That stem is 95 mm? Unless the frame is quite small that seems a little short, but not much I ride a 110 on a 54-55 frame ocassionally a 120.

CNY rider
07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Yeah, how big is that frame?
Are you used to very narrow bars?
I set up my (new to me) cross bike recently with the bars a little high and the reach a little short versus my normal road geo.......first descent we went down really was scary. Front end felt very light and floaty. I thought there was a serious problem with the bike or fork/headset.
Mentioned it to manet-pal, and he saw the problem right away.
I took out a couple of spacers, got the bars down and away, and completely transformed the handling. It's rock stable.
I never really believed that handling could be so screwed up by having the bars too high, with a short stem, but that proved it for me.
Not saying that's the problem with yours but something to think about.

Also check the other obvious stuff like making sure headset is tight, nothing cracked on stem and bars etc.