PDA

View Full Version : Help! HED wheels cause me to need new brakes!

Longdaddy
07-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I have Mavic SSC calipers matched w/ Campy Record-10 Shifters.

New Bastogne C2 wheels are too wide for the Mavics. I can not adjust the calipers to open enough (barrel adjuster is all the way in; I loosened the cable, etc). After all that, I still need to keep the brake lever QR "open" just to give 2-3 mm of space at the rim.

Interested to hear if anyone has had this experience and/or what type of calipers they are using w/ their HED C2 wheels.

Or, is there a secret to the Mavic brake caliper that I do not know about?

Thanks-

longdaddy

Bruce K
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I am using D-A 9 speed calipers (Concours road), Zero Gravity calipers (Ottrott and Bedford) and Pauls Neo Retro and Touring calipers (Concours cross bike) without any issues at all.

I have never heard of a brake caliper that didn't open enough to work with these rims but anything is possible.

BK

c77barlage
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't know anything about the Mavic brakes but am currently using Campy skeleton brakes (11s setup) with Bastogne C2's and having no problems.

XTC
07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
This issue has bee reported widely regarding the new HED rim width.

Supposedly Zero G's do not open wide enough.... but an earlier post seems to contradict that.

wasfast
07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
I had issues with max opening on the M5 brakes. I finally sold them and bought a pair of Campy's insead. No issue there.

jjb
07-16-2009, 09:41 PM
The HED rims are quite wide, but they really ride nice. I'm also running Jet 6's with Campy 10 and 11 without problems.

-jjb

John M
07-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Try lower profile brake shoes/pads. Some of the threaded ones for v-brakes are quite thin and work quite well with road brakes--if the aesthetic is not too offensive for you.

Bruce K
07-17-2009, 05:16 AM
The Zero G thing must be an urban myth as I have 3 sets running the new rim profile. :rolleyes:

BK