PDA

View Full Version : Today's Winter Adventure

FierteTi52
01-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Today in buffalo N.Y. it was 17 degrees and not enough snow for snowshoeing. I decided to ride along the 12 mile bike path down the street from my home on my winter bike. I remember a while back Dirtdigger started a thread encouraging us to take photos on a ride , so here is my adventure. Sure beats being stuck on a trainer.
Jeff

Louis
01-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Looks like a nice ride for winter (assuming no ice on the trail...)

How did you press the buttons on the camera? At temps below 20 I have to wear gloves that really don't allow me to do anything delicate like that...

Louis

RABikes2
01-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the great photos! Your ride looked like an adventure. :D

It was around 45 degrees when I started riding today and it went up to 59 degrees; sunny, bright, chilly, and WINDY. ;)

spiderman
01-16-2005, 05:17 PM
inspirational...looks like a sweet ride
thanks for the pics...
i'm thinking it's time
to get out and get with the program!

CNY rider
01-16-2005, 08:46 PM
It seems that in a former life (for me) we were neighbors. I recognized the bike path pix even before the photo of the Amherst sign came up.

Did you end the day in style with a big bucket of duff's wings? That was always my favorite Saturday night treat in WNY: Hockey Night in Canada and a couple dozen of Duff's finest :)

Kevan
01-16-2005, 09:09 PM
That beats my being a coward and instead going to a smelly, humid, spin studio for an hour.

I should be ashamed of myself... :crap:

FierteTi52
01-16-2005, 09:14 PM
CNY Rider,
Small world isn't it? I'm lucky enough to live down the street from the Amherst Museum / bike path start. This is the bike path along Tonanwanda Creek/ Erie Barge Canal, not the bike path near the university.

I know Duff's well. The best chicken wings in town. I used to go there, but gave up fried food 11 years ago. I still watch hockey ( exept this year) and drink Canadian beer.

What were you doing in buffalo, and why did you leave the area?

Jeff

george
01-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Ditto, ditto. I like the second picture as my favorite: lonely, cold, snowy trail!? Thank you for the pics. :)

mikemets
01-17-2005, 06:55 AM
That beats my being a coward and instead going to a smelly, humid, spin studio for an hour.

I should be ashamed of myself... :crap:

Yes you should :p

86 outside miles this weekend, and mostly within a few miles of your house. Warm enough temps, dry roads, little wind, but some ice patches that needed to be avoided, but all very visible...a wonderful riding weekend :D

Ozz
01-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Nice pics! How did you keep the water in your bottle from freezing? I suppose a little scotch would do it! :rolleyes:

mikemets
01-17-2005, 08:38 AM
How did you keep the water in your bottle from freezing?

Start with room temperature water or sports drink, and use a Polar bottle.

M_A_Martin
01-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Warmer water in a Camelback under the jacket/insulated tube/end kept tucked into front of jacket.

Stays thawed on long freezing rides.

CNY rider
01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I lived in Amherst for 3 years, 1998-2001. I would ride locally after work on weekdays, then shlep the road bike to the south towns on weekends for some real riding. The biggest hill in Amherst is the overpass across the Tonawanda creek.

I was there for a training program at Roswell Park. I couldn't leave fast enough when it ended.