PDA

View Full Version : Century Rides - Tubulars vs Clinchers

GuyGadois
07-16-2009, 11:42 AM
So, I am doing a couple of centuries in the next week or so and I am debating on whether to ride my tubies (Nucleons) or my clinchers (cxp33).

The nightmare situation would be getting two flats with the tubbies (one on the mounted and one on the spare). The other fear would be riding long distances on a spare that is not mounted to the rim with glue (even though the spare is pre-glued it still isn't properly glue). But, I keep leaning towards the tubbies for that nice ride.

Any opinion on which wheels to ride during a century ride?

-GG-

znfdl
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I am conservative when it comes to distance riding. I always ride clinchers and carry a boot, two tubes and a patch kit. I hate having to call the wife for a ride home.

TAW
07-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Probably the benefit to clinchers is that if you have a problem, there's usually someone with you or along the road that has equipment if you run out.

CSi guy
07-16-2009, 12:06 PM
If the tubies fit you must commit. I take two of the the tufo orange quick tapes with me for the spares and would grab 2 extra tubies. they ride so much better, I think they are more comfortable on a long ride.

djg
07-16-2009, 12:22 PM
You can have bad luck with any tire, but my informal guess-timate is that I'm less likely to flat when I'm riding tubular tires. In many cases, pit stop -- a small light can -- can fix a small puncture in almost no time. Also, although I'm not a big fan of the tape, you could easily carry a dose of the tape in your seat bag, which means that, in the event that you really need to pull a tire, you don't need to ride an unglued tire for 30 or 40 miles (you don't exactly need to do that anyway, as you've probably got a tack layer on the spare tire and residual glue on the rim, but I hear ya -- we all go a little easy riding on a spare that hasn't been properly glued, especially when cornering). Heading out into the wilderness for a week, I'd plan for backup on backup. But for a century with no special wrinkles to it, I'd ride the tires you prefer.

MattTuck
07-16-2009, 12:22 PM
obligatory tubeLESS comment.

wave of the future, man.

GuyGadois
07-16-2009, 01:11 PM
obligatory tubeLESS comment.

wave of the future, man.

I still have a Crank of the Future, Shimano Biopace if you want it... ;)

-GG-

Acotts
07-16-2009, 01:54 PM
The sublime ride of tubulars is mostly in your head. If not, get some better tires like vittoria evo's and put some latex tubes in it. The ride is as nice as it gets.

Acotts is anti-tubie for any ride that requires turning and potentially changing tires. (save my tubularas for my one annual TT)

And I will not change!

[ducking]

GuyGadois
07-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably ride the clinchers on the regular century this weekend and the tubies (Nucleons) on the mountain climb century next weekend and hope for no flats.

-GG-

zap
07-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Tubulars.

mike p
07-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Clinchers for just about everything. Tubulars just aren't worth the hassle. I now have just one pair of tubulars for racing where if I flat i'm done anyway. Tubulars do corner a tad better but to me not worth the extra hassle and it is quite a bit of extra hassle.

Mike

Ray
07-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm a tubeless guy and a clincher guy. But I'd say ride what you like. Flats don't happen THAT often that I'd let em determine what I'd ride in a century. An unsupported tour maybe, or PBP, but not a century.

-Ray

RonW87
07-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Two data points from me:

1. A few weeks ago I was in a group of a dozen riders. We were on a 200k ride. It rained almost the whole time. I was the only one on tubulars. 8 flats. None of them mine.

2. Two years ago, I did a double century. Flatted a tubular at mile 25. Threw on an unglued spare tubular and completed the 175 miles with no problem. (Not recommended of course, but knowing that the glue on the rim will provide SOME bond helps).

mister
07-17-2009, 08:57 AM
if the spare has some previously applied glue, it will stay on the rim pretty well.

riceburner
07-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Bring some of the liquid latex foam with you to save you at least one small flat....

Jeff N.
07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Centuries=Clinchers. Jeff N.

Marcusaurelius
07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
If I had a team car following me with a few spare wheels, I would use tubulars.

Z3c
07-17-2009, 01:32 PM
1. Load some Stan's into your tubulars before the ride.
2. Carry a PitStop for use as first resort.
3. Carry a spare tuby for last resort.

Enjoy the ride..