PDA

View Full Version : Hannity Rant

OnceFast
07-15-2009, 07:24 PM
I caught Sean Hannity taking a call from someone who happened to be on a bike. Sean went into a rant about getting off the road and staying on a bike path. Then the real reason for the hostility came out. Sean was agitated that this guy had found the time to get in a ride in the middle of the day as opposed working his butt off, like Sean does. This confirms for me what I've always thought and that is that there is a great deal of jealousy out there that produces anger towards people that have the discipline to find the time to get some decent exercise. I don't think any type of "driver education" is ever going to solve this problem. I'd like to see health care reform include some carrots and sticks to encourage healthy habits like bike riding, but I don't expect much from the clowns in DC running that show. Funny, drivers don't seem to get as hostile to runners. Wonder why.

Ozz
07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
.... Funny, drivers don't seem to get as hostile to runners. Wonder why.
Runners don't smile when they exercise.... :beer:

fourflys
07-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Did you really expect anything less of Hannity, he's an idiot? Didn't he do some rant a while bike that actually advocated hitting a cyclist?

steelrider
07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Did you really expect anything less of Hannity, he's an idiot? Didn't he do some rant a while bike that actually advocated hitting a cyclist?

+1 That guy is a clown. Typical reactionary Fox "news" moron.

th_boone
07-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I do agree with the original post on how people on bikes are actually out, getting exercise and probably lowering health care costs. Whether someone cycles or not, they should respect that and allow it to cost them a second, two or three in the vehicle. :cool:

Louis
07-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Funny, drivers don't seem to get as hostile to runners. Wonder why.

Here's my theory:

Runner = person on the road

Car = vehicle on the road
Bike = vehicle on the road
Car + Bike on same road = competition for the same resource

Driver = person
Runner = person

Driver is not a cyclist
Cyclist = Other
Other = Different = Get out of my way

johnnymossville
07-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I just turned him on and heard that rant too. I then turned him off.

I must admit I agree with much of what he believes politically, but his buttheaded comments like that one keep me from being a listener.

allegretto
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
WOW, is all i got to say

OK, i didn't vote for That Guy and don't like what i see in terms of spending. the best gov spends the least, always. OK, politics done

when i ride home from work i just have the radio on, and in my area it is the affiliate that has Hannity. i wasn't really listening closely until i heard him say he was getting off his bike (funny what gets someone's attention).

when Sean went off i wanted to grab him by the throat...!!! what an A$$HOLE.

i like o'reilly. i like greta, sort of, if i'm awake. but there is something about that guy (Hannity) that grates me and i can't listen.

this caller sealed it

rugbysecondrow
07-15-2009, 09:17 PM
You are a GRRREEAATT American!

I just turned him on and heard that rant too. I then turned him off.

I must admit I agree with much of what he believes politically, but his buttheaded comments like that one keep me from being a listener.

avalonracing
07-15-2009, 09:24 PM
but there is something about that guy (Hannity) that grates me and i can't listen.

That is because he is a bully... And not very bright either.

allegretto
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM
That is because he is a bully... And not very bright either.

i think you're right on both counts. i think it's guys like him that make it easy to mock social and fiscal conservatism... sadly

Louis
07-15-2009, 10:54 PM
the best gov spends the least, always

What if the spending is to fix cr@ppy roads that are full of potholes? ;)

mflaherty37
07-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Hannity trys to get people fired up. Don't waste time with that.

onekgguy
07-16-2009, 12:29 AM
You are a GRRREEAATT American!

I've never understood how an absolute stranger can call the program and have hannity tell him that he's a great American. I'm sad to say that there was a time in my life when I seriously listened to the clown. I remember last Fall when you couldn't turn on his program and listen for more than 5 seconds without him mentioning the name of William Ayers. He got ridiculously old in a hurry.

Kevin g

csm
07-16-2009, 06:38 AM
i think you're right on both counts. i think it's guys like him that make it easy to mock social and fiscal conservatism... sadly

in the same vein as Al Franken makes it easy to mock the liberals.

Elefantino
07-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Cycling is the greatest sport God ever created.

Wear the red, white and blue proudly.

avalonracing
07-16-2009, 06:49 AM
in the same vein as Al Franken makes it easy to mock the liberals.

That's Senator Franken to you! ;)

dannyg1
07-16-2009, 07:26 AM

Just for the record, Senator Franken is neither funny or warm in person. Actually, he comes across as easily annoyed and pretty mean spirited. Seems odd for a comedian I know, but I've met him and he certainly was more politician than comedian, on that day at the least.

Ray
07-16-2009, 07:38 AM
There are plenty of equal opportunity jerks out there. I tend to agree with Olberman on a lot of issues, but he's as much of a jerk as Hannity. Or damn close. I didn't agree with William Buckley on all that much (although more than you might imagine) but I respected the guy. Plenty of idiots on all sides. Hannity's an idiot because he's an idiot, not because he's a conservative.

-Ray

Flat Out
07-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Just for the record, Senator Franken is neither funny or warm in person. Actually, he comes across as easily annoyed and pretty mean spirited. Seems odd for a comedian I know, but I've met him and he certainly was more politician than comedian, on that day at the least.

I met him as well. Though I'm on "the same side" with him, politically, I agree with you 100%. Actually I've met a bunch of comedians and some of them were the same way.

Joellogicman
07-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Cycling is a sport, but also a mode of transit. One that, as it happens, uses very little imported oil (assuming carbon fiber and synthetic tires use imported oil - maybe they do not.) This fact has always left me wondering why the most vociferous anti-bike commentators tend also to be against leaders of nations such as Iran and Venezuela that happen to produce a lot of oil.

Along with providing great sport and fitness benefits, bike riders can help staunch the flow of U.S. transportation money to nations that do not like us.

During WWII, people took pride in coming up with ways to save resources for the greater defense of the nation. Now the people who arguably think the most about defending the nation seem to believe the appropriate response is to consume, the enemy be darned.

Joellogicman
07-16-2009, 08:06 AM
I didn't agree with William Buckley on all that much (although more than you might imagine) but I respected the guy.
-Ray

Buckley was polite, respectful and presented astute and reasoned arguments for his opinions. I differ with some of his conclusions but appreciate the way he conducted himself.

BumbleBeeDave
07-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Hannity's an idiot because he's an idiot, not because he's a conservative.

There are plenty of self-righteous idiots on both sides. But it's not even restricted to politics. "Doctor" Laura Schlesinger just makes me grind my teeth. Many years ago she gave advice and actually was pretty useful. Then she morphed into giving "moral judgments" on the air. Started giving a whole new meaning to "holier-than-thou." Her "doctor" title isn't even in psychology--it's in physiology. And her own marital troubles make me wonder why anyone would listen to her advice on the "care and feeding of a husband" or whatever that book of hers is called. Her on-air persona is patronizing to the max, but people still keep calling her . . . Yuck . . .

BBD

paczki
07-16-2009, 08:07 AM

The tricolore?

CNY rider
07-16-2009, 08:18 AM
To me Hannity commits the greatest possible sin for a radio personality:

He's B O R I N G.

It's just the same Republican talking points over and over and over. Nothing new, innovative, or considerate.

Whereas I find Limbaugh and Olberman generally entertaining, even if they are being jerks and expressing views I don't agree with.

William
07-16-2009, 08:36 AM
http://teachers.henrico.k12.va.us/godwin/hoen_l/artinsight1/art3projects/ComputerArtVisualPuns/ArtistWorks/Photoshop%20Visual%20Puns/BoneHead.jpg

malcolm
07-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I've never understood how an absolute stranger can call the program and have hannity tell him that he's a great American. I'm sad to say that there was a time in my life when I seriously listened to the clown. I remember last Fall when you couldn't turn on his program and listen for more than 5 seconds without him mentioning the name of William Ayers. He got ridiculously old in a hurry.

Kevin g

The same way folks around here (not you) assume anyone with different views politically is an idiot. I don't support Hannity and personally think he is a douche and him and his ilk are destroying the republican party of the Regan era. I do however tire quickly of the every one on fox news is a moron and everyone remotely conservative is an idiot. I see equal idiocy across the board CNN, MSNBC. Most of them just mouth the mantra of whomever they believe and of course everyone else isn't just wrong they are idiots. I find it tiresome from both sides.

SamIAm
07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
As much as I believe this nation is on the wrong trajectory, I just can't stand listenning to the guy. I cringe when I hear "You are a great american." He never let's a "lib" have a normal dialog with him, usually muting the caller going on a typical rant and moving on to the next great american. I don't think he has the intellectual firepower to engage. I would love to see what a Neal Boortz could do with Hannity's audience.

rugbysecondrow
07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Lets be real people. HE IS AN ENTERTAINER. His job is not ideas, not betterment of the country, but ratings. Hannity, Olberman, Franken (before he was elected), Air America folks (before it went under), Madow, O'Reily etc are all in it for ratings. Their business is entertainment and not ideas. Lets not confuse ENTERTAINERS with political parties and political platforms because they are not meant to be comingled. Doing so is not intelectually honest.

To me Hannity commits the greatest possible sin for a radio personality:

He's B O R I N G.

It's just the same Republican talking points over and over and over. Nothing new, innovative, or considerate.

Whereas I find Limbaugh and Olberman generally entertaining, even if they are being jerks and expressing views I don't agree with.

rugbysecondrow
07-16-2009, 09:11 AM
As much as I believe this nation is on the wrong trajectory, I just can't stand listenning to the guy. I cringe when I hear "You are a great american." He never let's a "lib" have a normal dialog with him, usually muting the caller going on a typical rant and moving on to the next great american. I don't think he has the intellectual firepower to engage. I would love to see what a Neal Boortz could do with Hannity's audience.

Again, his job is not to engage and come to resolution on an issue but to entertain. He is smart, smart enough to do extremely well and reach the peak of his chosen profession, but lets not confuse what that profession is.

Joellogicman
07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Lets not confuse ENTERTAINERS with political parties and political platforms because they are not meant to be comingled. Doing so is not intelectually honest.

Well, that is the ideal. Although earlier this year the chairman of the Republican Party was responding to Limbaugh as though he was a peer, not a ratings hungry clown.

In fairness, this seems to be under control of late.

avalonracing
07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
But it is pretty said that Steele and others are afraid to piss off or challenge the media fat-cats (emphasis on fat).

As for entertainers... Wasn't St. Ronnie just an entertainer before he became the poster boy of the neo-cons? One day we might have a President Beck.

BumbleBeeDave
07-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Lets be real people. HE IS AN ENTERTAINER. His job is not ideas, not betterment of the country, but ratings.

Hannity. Dr. Laura. Franken. Mike Gallagher.

They're all on the air to get RATINGS. It even works locally. The Gazette has a columnist named Carl Strock who gets a lot of people mad and I hear them complaining about him. They don't understand that it's his JOB to get p[eople up in arms so they will keep buying the paper to see what outrageous stuff he will spout next.

BBD

Climb01742
07-16-2009, 09:53 AM
another "plus" in william f. buckley's column is, when debating with someone, he raised his intellect, not his voice. he attacked the argument, not the arguer. he used wit, not ire. his "facts" had the advantage of actually being factual. he could "say" more with a raised eyebrow than most of our present day "commentators" (of all ilks,stripes and temperments) say in a month. and i say all this as a liberal, tree-hugging, panty-waist. :beer:

malcolm
07-16-2009, 10:14 AM
another "plus" in william f. buckley's column is, when debating with someone, he raised his intellect, not his voice. he attacked the argument, not the arguer. he used wit, not ire. his "facts" had the advantage of actually being factual. he could "say" more with a raised eyebrow than most of our present day "commentators" (of all ilks,stripes and temperments) say in a month. and i say all this as a liberal, tree-hugging, panty-waist. :beer:

Wish I could live up to that. I've not seen anyone on television that does in a long time.

I challenge anyone to find proof there have ever been panties around your waist. Big hug, in a straight up manly fashion.

Spinner
07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
... i witnessed a television show many years when william was asked if he had ever smoked pot. his response, "yes, i did once, beyond 12 nautical miles at sea in international waters."

choice.

torquer
07-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Sort of a contrast to the standard in DC recently, no?
Seriously, lets remember that he was running for, and elected to, a political position, not an entertainer's role. Limbaugh et. al. don't run for office because they know that they only need to attract enough listeners to matter to the one voter that counts, the sponsor. They wouldn't necessarily be able to muster the 50% plus one vote needed to be elected in a straight-up election contest.

jimp1234
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Former comedian becomes Senator...hmm..

DukeHorn
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, Hannity just had a screed about whether Obama is an American citizen (sigh, like we need this @#$@ when we can be talking about whether the stimulus is working or not).

Pretty easy. Just compare Hannity to Maddow. Both are cable new "entertainers" but from an intellectual engagement viewpoint they are night and day. You might wonder why. It's easy:

Hannity--high school education, ex DJ
Maddow--Rhodes Scholar, PhD (British equivalent I guess)

Maybe I give Rhode Scholars too much credit (but I know 3 in real life and they're all extremely smart, extremely articulate, and usually well-versed in public policy).

As for Franken, yeah, he's a comedian but a bright one at least (Harvard, cum laude).

malcolm
07-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Kris Kristopherson (spelling) was also a Rhodes Scholar, don't know that it actually means anything in this incidence but I found it interesting. Willie Bosket considered one of the most violent men in america holds a phi beta kappa key. Initials and credentials are not the only yardsticks, I do agree they are often a good starting point.

Well, Hannity just had a screed about whether Obama is an American citizen (sigh, like we need this @#$@ when we can be talking about whether the stimulus is working or not).

Pretty easy. Just compare Hannity to Maddow. Both are cable new "entertainers" but from an intellectual engagement viewpoint they are night and day. You might wonder why. It's easy:

Maybe I give Rhode Scholars too much credit (but I know 3 in real life and they're all extremely smart, extremely articulate, and usually well-versed in public policy).

As for Franken, yeah, he's a comedian but a bright one at least (Harvard, cum laude).

paulh
07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
I was a Roads Scholar. Studied highway engineering in college.

William
07-16-2009, 12:32 PM
...Pretty easy. Just compare Hannity to Maddow. Both are cable new "entertainers" but from an intellectual engagement viewpoint they are night and day. You might wonder why. It's easy:

~And~, Maddow did a stint as a bike messenger. Points there...I bet you'll never hear her rail against cyclists.

William

OtayBW
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I caught Sean Hannity taking a call from someone who happened to be on a bike. Sean went into a rant about getting off the road and staying on a bike path.....
It's confirmed: he is a putz for sure. :banana:

avalonracing
07-16-2009, 12:59 PM
but from an intellectual engagement viewpoint they are night and day. You might wonder why. It's easy:

Why else do you think these chuckleheads complain about the "intellectual elite". I think it's pretty sad that we live in country where education is often mocked (along with progressive ideals).

torquer
07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Buckley was polite, respectful and presented astute and reasoned arguments for his opinions. I differ with some of his conclusions but appreciate the way he conducted himself.

Well, that's the party line, anyway. Then there's the record:

"...the central question that emerges... is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas where it does not predominate numerically? The sobering answer is Yes – the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race."

(Buckley, Jr., William F. (August 1957). "Editorial". National Review.)

"Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I will sock you in your goddamn face, and you will stay plastered."

(In "debate" with Gore Vidal, over Chicago police behavior during 1968 Democratic convention. Probably available on YouTube.)

His business ethics (I know, an oxymoron) were also slippery:

"In 1979, the SEC filed suit against William F.
Buckely Jr. accusing him of violating the antifraud statutes for allegedly
attempting to avoid personal bankruptcy by selling some of his losing
personal investments to Starr Broadcasting Group Inc., a publicly owned
company in which he was a a major stockholder. While neither admitting nor
denying the allegations, the columnist as part of settlement agreement paid
some $1.4 million to shareholders of the company."

Starr Broadcasting, by the way, was infamous in NYC for converting its classic-music format station, WNCN, to a rock format in the 1970's. So much for defending elite cultural values.

Small potatos, sure, for an author whose early work was a defense of Joe McCarthy. I was impressed myself with his use of big words, once, too. Then I realized it was just a smokescreen, and a political arguement can be even more effective if you use language accessible to all. Too bad those big words would be ridiculed by the current generation of right-wing pundits.

OnceFast
07-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Man, did this thread get hijacked. I should have left out the host's name.

rugbysecondrow
07-16-2009, 02:34 PM
But it is pretty said that Steele and others are afraid to piss off or challenge the media fat-cats (emphasis on fat).

As for entertainers... Wasn't St. Ronnie just an entertainer before he became the poster boy of the neo-cons? One day we might have a President Beck.

There is a difference between being in the entertainment business and having political beliefs you discuss (Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin) and having your business be the esposing of political entertainment for ratings (Rush, Hannity etc.) There is nothing wrong with either, but there is a difference. Franken and Reagan are in a different catagory, entertainers who decided to actually make politics their business by running for office.

As far as the comparison between Madow and Hannity...well I guess we can argue about who is over-emplyed and who is under-employed for their respective entertainment positions, but I find it funny that so many liberal know so much about conservative talk entertainers. Could it be you guys really enjoy listening in on what the "Folks" with the High School Diplomas have to say? When you get down to it, these guys are GREAT entertainers who can get both liberal and conservatives to listen to the show and get them ratings...you help keep them on the air and they thank you for it. You kept them on the air while Air America was going down...what does that say?

Ray
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Well, that's the party line, anyway. Then there's the record:

"...the central question that emerges... is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas where it does not predominate numerically? The sobering answer is Yes – the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race."

(Buckley, Jr., William F. (August 1957). "Editorial". National Review.)

"Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I will sock you in your goddamn face, and you will stay plastered."

(In "debate" with Gore Vidal, over Chicago police behavior during 1968 Democratic convention. Probably available on YouTube.)

Well, yeah, he was badly wrong on some issues. VERY BADLY, imho. But at least he had the pelotas to admit he'd been wrong on civil rights once he figured it out (later than I'd have liked, but it did happen). I don't know about his record on gay issues, but he was enough of a personal liberty kind of guy that I suspect he changed stripes on that too. And, in fairness, there probably wasn't a Democratic pol in those days who wouldn't have reacted similarly in a confrontation with a gay guy. 1968 was before even Stonewall, ferchrissakes - gay rights was on nobody's radar except for some gays, and probably not most of them, who were just trying to get by.

And he opposed the Iraq war and was very critical of the Bush admin (W variety) on a number of issues, so he was highly capable of independent thought. That didn't make him right, but he was very capable of rational argument. I feel the same way about George Will. I get REALLY pissed at some of his opinions, but I respect him enough to listen, usually two or three times before I fully decide he's wrong.

-Ray

malcolm
07-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Well, yeah, he was badly wrong on some issues. VERY BADLY, imho. But at least he had the pelotas to admit he'd been wrong on civil rights once he figured it out (later than I'd have liked, but it did happen). I don't know about his record on gay issues, but he was enough of a personal liberty kind of guy that I suspect he changed stripes on that too. And, in fairness, there probably wasn't a Democratic pol in those days who wouldn't have reacted similarly in a confrontation with a gay guy. 1968 was before even Stonewall, ferchrissakes - gay rights was on nobody's radar except for some gays, and probably not most of them, who were just trying to get by.

And he opposed the Iraq war and was very critical of the Bush admin (W variety) on a number of issues, so he was highly capable of independent thought. That didn't make him right, but he was very capable of rational argument. I feel the same way about George Will. I get REALLY pissed at some of his opinions, but I respect him enough to listen, usually two or three times before I fully decide he's wrong.

-Ray

Ray I suspect almost anyone whose lifetime spanned such issues or any issues you can go back years and find things that don't look so good in the current light of day. I probably like you prefer to use as my measuring stick the fact that they at least eventually saw the error of their ways.

One of the great embarassments of the south George Wallace, as an old man had some interesting takes on his earlier positions. Apparently early on as a fairly liberal guy he lost an election because he was too soft on race and didn't vigorously support segregation, he told his manager he would never loose because of that again and made race/segregation the forefront of his platform and promptly won. As an old man he seemed truly repenant, maybe he was just trying to polish up how history viewed him, but it was still a little sad.

torquer
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I was mainly reacting to the "polite and respectfull" reputation. Certainly in contrast to the current climate, but hardly a saint.

Thread drift be damned, its interesting you bring up Geoge Will; just read he was named as graduate alumni trustee at Princeton. I guess the old grads who write in to the Alumni Weekly regularly denouncing coeducation (after 35 years) need a representative, too.

avalonracing
07-16-2009, 03:39 PM
, but I find it funny that so many liberal know so much about conservative talk entertainers. Could it be you guys really enjoy listening in on what the "Folks" with the High School Diplomas have to say? When you get down to it, these guys are GREAT entertainers who can get both liberal and conservatives to listen to the show and get them ratings...you help keep them on the air and they thank you for it. You kept them on the air while Air America was going down...what does that say?

I have an easy answer for that. I like to hear what both sides are saying so I check out both. But I don't need to listen to people who have similar views as that gets pretty boring and I'm not so weak minded that I need validation. As for news, I get that from genuine news sources (like The Colbert Report :D )

RSR- You do realize that we are neighbors and we are bound to meet sometime during a loop of Granite, Sykesville or a Race Pace ride. We'll probably be riding for 20 minutes before we realize it.

rugbysecondrow
07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
I have an easy answer for that. I like to hear what both sides are saying so I check out both. But I don't need to listen to people who have similar views as that gets pretty boring and I'm not so weak minded that I need validation. As for news, I get that from genuine news sources (like The Colbert Report :D )

RSR- You do realize that we are neighbors and we are bound to meet sometime during a loop of Granite, Sykesville or a Race Pace ride. We'll probably be riding for 20 minutes before we realize it.

We only wouldn't know it if politics didn't come up in the first 20 minutes :)

Good Times!