PDA

View Full Version : calls from Nashbar, re: credit card scam

learlove
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
anyone else get a call from nashbar? Some girl "ashley" just called and read some form letter to me in ref. to a website fraud charge(s) that were going around a few months back. My card got hit but I was able to dispute it.

The weird thing is after reading me this form letter she wanted me to confirm my address. A flag went off in my head so I asked her what address she had for me (instead of giving her one) and she told me the address I've always used ref. Nashbar. A Little weird but she didn't ask for anything more than an address.

Just a heads up.

BTW in ref. to my CC info that was compromised, my CC company erased the fraud charges after an online dispute filing.

here is the original thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=59478&highlight=credit+card

or

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=57086&highlight=credit+card

CNY rider
07-15-2009, 06:17 PM
I haven't gotten a call from Nashbar yet but I had 2 fraudulent charges on my CC account last month and had to dispute the charges, fill out a fraud report and get a new card.
I purchased stuff from Nashbar shortly before that.
Coincidence or not?

joelh
07-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I was hit exactly the same way just after a priceline purchase last month. I booked a hotel (have done it a million times) and within an hour Amex call about some suspicious charges. Charges to Clickandbuy in Germany and Itunes. There were 5 of $10 - $20 in about 15 min. Amex canceled my card and overnighted me a new one, just in time for a trip. The fraud was exactly as has been described about Nashbar transactions.

Ozz
07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
just yesterday our credit card bank called and told us we had fraud on our card...$500+ in charges at a drug store in New Jersey....I've never been to Jersey.... :rolleyes:

They closed the account and should have a new card tomorrow.

stormyClouds
07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
I just got a letter from Nashbar today with the same info regarding someone hacking cc info from their site.
I think that it is legit.
Not that it is any consolation if your cc was fraudulently used, but they offered some info for protecting your identity and a 30% off any order discount.
Make sure to cancel your card immediately if you have bought from there in the last couple of years and used a cc online.

dancinkozmo
07-16-2009, 06:40 AM
i received a letter yesterday as well ....had to cancel my card . luckily there didnt seem to be any weird charges on it.

max_powers
07-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Recall that Nashbar and Performancebike.com are owned by the same company.

any website that allows such a hacking deserves no business.

fiamme red
07-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I'll ask the question this way: has anyone here ordered from Nashbar recently and not had their c.c. hacked? ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

fiamme red
07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Would it be safe if I order from Nashbar over the phone?

SpeedyChix
07-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I got the letter yesterday as well. Haven't ordered from Nashbar in a couple years but had my CC company call me earlier this year due to suspicious activity and they reissued a new card. This was around the time some thought perhaps it was international bike bit purchases. Perhaps it was all from this Nasbar deal. In doing a search for Nashbar and cc fraud ... they've been slow coming to the table on dealing with it.

dancinkozmo
07-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I'll ask the question this way: has anyone here ordered from Nashbar recently and not had their c.c. hacked? ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

i bought something in feb of '09 and it seems my card wasnt compromised...either way, im through with dealing with them.

kbone
07-16-2009, 11:52 AM
300 million people in the US
285 million identities compromised according to the IC3.
Keep an eye on your bills and look for charges big and small.
I work in internet fraud and am very careful!
I got a call yesterday from American Express asking if I had plans to fly on United. I did not. They erased the charge of $1,300 and issued a new card. They also asked if I had an iTunes account - no iTunes charges on the card so the question seemed out of place. Something up with iTunes???

MarleyMon
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
... They also asked if I had an iTunes account - no iTunes charges on the card so the question seemed out of place. Something up with iTunes???
my understanding is that thieves use iTunes to make small transactions to check if the number is still valid, then they go for the big score.

mister
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
300 million people in the US
285 million identities compromised according to the IC3.
Keep an eye on your bills and look for charges big and small.
I work in internet fraud and am very careful!
I got a call yesterday from American Express asking if I had plans to fly on United. I did not. They erased the charge of $1,300 and issued a new card. They also asked if I had an iTunes account - no iTunes charges on the card so the question seemed out of place. Something up with iTunes???

seems most times there will be itubes charges on the compromised cards. to check that the card works.
so maybe your company was just asking as a precaution to flag any itunes transactions on your card...just a guess.

kbone
07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
my understanding is that thieves use iTunes to make small transactions to check if the number is still valid, then they go for the big score.

That is my guess as well. There was a report out the other day that indicated they hack companies systems for the sole purpose of using their credit verification systems to validate large groups of numbers and once validated sell numbers to the highest bidder. Probably the same thing with iTunes.

dekindy
07-19-2009, 09:13 AM
My buddy purchased from Nashbar and has had suspicious charges on his card.

Also, when we checked into our hotel Friday for RAIN, my buddy's wife had multiple credit cards and asked the clerk for the card number that she had reserved the rooms with. He replied that he could not give her the number but could only see the card type, Visa, AM, etc. The clerk also mentioned that it was as a result of new regulations to address credit card fraud. Anybody have any information on the new regulations?