PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Alta wheelset

zap
01-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Anyone ride these wheels?

Likes/Dislikes.

sn69
01-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately, between the rain last week (Southern Cal) and having the bike in the shop being rebuilt with new Chorus goodies, I haven't yet been able to try them.

They are impressing looking wheels, although that's hardly an effective measurement. They are light, the bearings seem smooth and the Sapim spokes are really thin. Again, time will tell how things hold up. The wheels were true when I got them...

The only oddity was that the hubs are maybe 1mm wider than normal on each side in the front, requiring me to slightly spread the fork legs (Reynolds fork) to get them in. They spin fine, but they seem to "fit" somewhere between Shimano hubs and Mavic hubs in terms of the width.

Oh, and one other thing.... The level of difficulty mounting the tires (Michelin Pro Race) was slightly more than Ksyriums and a good deal less than Campy rims.

I'll provide a full ride report once I get my beer drinking, twinkie eating arse on them for a bit.
Scott

Skrawny
01-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Just rode on them for the first time on Friday. Major improvement from my previous wheelset. Unfortunately that isn't saying much. My previous wheels were a POS that came with my entry level bike and I'm new to this cycling thing. Others on this site could give more sage analysis of them. Nevertheless, I am very happy that my LBS steered me toward them, it aparently fills a rather large hole they had in their price-points.

It always made sense to me that improving the wheels is a great way to improve performance, but I didn't think it would be so obvious to a neophyte like me.

Skrawny
01-16-2005, 03:21 PM
I had the same trouble with the increased width. After I picked them up from my LBS I couldn't get the front wheel off! I had to a fairly brisk whack on the top of the tire to get it to drop out.

BarryG
01-16-2005, 03:32 PM
I had to a fairly brisk whack on the top of the tire to get it to drop out.

Next time you might want to try loosening the front quick release a few turns and spreading the fork arms slightly by pulling them apart and the wheel should just drop right out.

Could one of you guys comment on how noisy/quiet the Alta's rear hub is when freewheeling?

Barry

sn69
01-16-2005, 04:54 PM
although in a muted sorta way (hard to describe). It's not as distracting as a Chris King rear hub, probably more akin to a standard Campy rear.

Again, however, that was only by hand. I've yet to check it under riding conditions.

Len J
01-16-2005, 06:27 PM
although in a muted sorta way (hard to describe). It's not as distracting as a Chris King rear hub, probably more akin to a standard Campy rear.

Again, however, that was only by hand. I've yet to check it under riding conditions.

where one of the riders had them..........they are VERY loud.

Len