PDA

View Full Version : Spokes

zray67
07-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I am going to have the wheels on my Schwinn Varsity bike rebuilt. The bike weighs approximately 41lbs. The rims and hubs are bomb prove but the bike is 36 years old and the spokes are "shot". After reading William's stories about being attacked by demented squirrels. I thought I should be prepared. I live in San Francisco so a raccoon attack is more of a possibility then demented squirrels. Demented squirrels appear to be a Rhode Island phenomeon.
With the above in mind and the Schwinn rims having a 36 front/36 rear. What gauge spoke should I use?

Marcusaurelius
07-14-2009, 09:18 PM
I always go for butted 2.0 spokes because the cost difference between 2.0 non butted and 2.0 butted is small. I think the butted spokes have a bit more spring to them.

martinrjensen
07-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Are you using 27 inch wheels? what is the rear cluster on your bike? I have a nice set of Mavic super champion wheels with 27 x 1&1/4 and 27x 1&1/8in tires off a 78 trek TX900. They have a 6 gear spin on cluster. I don't think they were stock on the bike as the only wheels that really fit (on the bike) are 700c, but they are pretty nice wheels and I will never use them again. I can send you pictures of them next week and would like to get $30.00 plus shipping for the wheels plus both sets of tires. My shipping location is 98107 if yu are interested
I am going to have the wheels on my Schwinn Varsity bike rebuilt. The bike weighs approximately 41lbs. The rims and hubs are bomb prove but the bike is 36 years old and the spokes are "shot". After reading William's stories about his being attacked by demented squirrels. I thought I should be prepared. I live in San Francisco so a raccoon attack is more of a possibility then demented squirrels. Demented squirrels appear to be a Rhode Island phenomeon.
With the above in mind and the Schwinn rims having a 32 front/36 rear. What guage spoke should I use?

fiamme red
07-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Are you using 27 inch wheels? what is the rear cluster on your bike? I have a nice set of Mavic super champion wheels with 27 x 1&1/4 and 27x 1&1/8in tires off a 78 trek TX900. They have a 6 gear spin on cluster. I don't think they were stock on the bike as the only wheels that really fit (on the bike) are 700c, but they are pretty nice wheels and I will never use them again. I can send you pictures of them next week and would like to get $30.00 plus shipping for the wheels plus both sets of tires. My shipping location is 98107 if yu are interestedFor the sake of accuracy, Mavic didn't make any wheels called "Super Champion." Super Champion was an independent rim manufacturer, acquired by Wolber about 1983. Wolber in turn was later acquired by Mavic. So it goes.

IMHO those wheels are much too nice for a Schwinn Varsity.

SoCalSteve
07-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I am going to have the wheels on my Schwinn Varsity bike rebuilt. The bike weighs approximately 41lbs. The rims and hubs are bomb prove but the bike is 36 years old and the spokes are "shot". After reading William's stories about his being attacked by demented squirrels. I thought I should be prepared. I live in San Francisco so a raccoon attack is more of a possibility then demented squirrels. Demented squirrels appear to be a Rhode Island phenomeon.
With the above in mind and the Schwinn rims having a 32 front/36 rear. What guage spoke should I use?

You should use a lightweight spoke. Something to shed some of the weight off the bike...You maybe able to get the bike down to 40.75 lbs...

Just sayin'

Steve

Louis
07-14-2009, 11:54 PM
You should use a lightweight spoke. Something to shed some of the weight off the bike...You maybe able to get the bike down to 40.75 lbs...

No way. I say re-bar. Eight spokes per side and you're done :p

zray67
07-15-2009, 10:00 AM
I always go for butted 2.0 spokes because the cost difference between 2.0 non butted and 2.0 butted is small. I think the butted spokes have a bit more spring to them.

Thank you that is the way I will be going - The Double-Butted DT Competition spokes.

Also, for the weight weenies who responded, I would like to quote Ti Design from a posting of his on 07-13-2009,
"The first thing to weigh on a bike is the rider..."

PS: I am also buying the wheelset and tires from martinrjensen.

fiamme red
07-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Thank you that is the way I will be going - The Double-Butted DT Competition spoke.

Also, for the weight weenies who responded, I would like to quote Ti Design from a posting of his on 07-13-2009,
"The first thing to weigh on a bike is the rider..."

PS: I am also buying the wheelset and tires from martinrjensen.You should also consider replacing the "Schwinn Approved" parts with Campagnolo Nuovo Record.

And while you're at it you might want to upgrade the frame and fork too. :rolleyes:

zray67
07-15-2009, 10:18 AM
You should also consider replacing the "Schwinn Approved" parts with Campagnolo Nuovo Record.

And while you're at it you might want to upgrade the frame and fork too. :rolleyes:

There are days that I don't know how I ever got along without the suggestions I sometimes receive from board members.

csm
07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm thinking a carbon fork would transform that ride. and a pair of zero gravity brakes.

PaulE
07-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Rebuild the hubs with quick-release axles.

Get a Brooks Saddle.

Put on 27 x 1 or 27 x 1-1/8 tires.

Put on cloth bar tape and shellac it.

Get an old-school water bottle and water bottle cage that mounts to the handlebar.

Finish it all off with a Serotta Forum banana face sticker. PM me and I'll mail you one if you promise to post a picture.

sg8357
07-15-2009, 01:52 PM
No way. I say re-bar. Eight spokes per side and you're done :p

LOL, Do you work for Mavic ? R(ebar)-Sys ?

zray67
07-15-2009, 04:53 PM
After reading the rants of the weight weenies who have posted on this tread. I can only come to the conclusion that weight weenies are jealous that I own a spiffy and snazzy 41lbs Schwinn Varsity Bike - A He-Man Bike. My He-Man Bike has chrome fenders. The manufacturers of your bikes duped you into thinking that fenders were unnecessary. For shame on those manufacturers who have taken advantage of the poorly informed and naive weight weenies.