PDA

View Full Version : Some days... dog bite... broken spoke...

thwart
07-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Some days... you're better off staying in bed.

Out of work a little early, so a quick solo ride before supper. Passing a farm that is well known locally for its bike-chasing dogs... 2 of 'em; one I found out later has been clocked by the owner at 32 mph, the other an older but larger (and much slower) animal. I see them coming at me even before I reach the property and cross over to the other side of the road, and notch up the speed. But the fast one has the angle, so I slow almost to a stop, and he veers away. But in comes his much slower buddy and nips me at the ankle.

The son of the owner of the farm is outside the barn and very apologetic, he helps me clean the wounds and apply a few band-aids. His parents have just left on a brief vacation. I reluctantly tell him that I'm afraid I have to report the unprovoked bite to the local animal control officer. We exchange names and phone numbers (turns out he was a classmate of my younger daughter in high school), and I get back on the bike.

The adrenaline has me climbing in higher gears than usual.

I get 5 or 6 miles further along the route and PING! flup-flup-flup-flup. No way! Yep---a rear spoke has failed. I open the brake and wind it around another spoke.

OK. That's it. I'm going home. :crap: :crap: :crap:

Sandy
07-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I realize that I have stated this in the past, but the most important thing that you must do is to check to see if the dog that bit you has a current rabies vaccination certificate. In this area, Maryland, a rabies certification is normally good for 3 years. At the shelters, it is sometimes a 1 year certification. It is imperative that you check on this- meaning you read the certificate and observe the date, as once contracted, rabies is a fatal disease (virus) for a dog (and other animals) and humans. If the dog does not have a current vaccination, I would guess that the local Animal Control will quarantine the dog for approximately 10 days to determine if it shows symptoms of the disease.

Dogs that live in the country are often exposed to other animals, like raccoons, which sometimes have rabies.

Please verify rabies vaccination immediately.

Sandy

thwart
07-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Sandy.

The farmer-owner called me on his cell shortly after I arrived home, and reassured me that all shots were current, and that I could go ahead and check with a local vet who cares for his animals. Also offered to 'pay my medical bills' if I would skip reporting it. The family has owned the farm for generations (the road it lies on bears the family name), and I felt really bad for potentially screwing up their vacation (Lord knows dairy farmers seldom get a vacation), but felt that for other's safety I needed to go ahead and report the bite.

The animal control officer actually goes out and quarantines the dog for 10 days, and the owner has to document that the dog is current on their immunizations, which includes a mandatory vet visit.

A ticket is also usually also issued, but I encouraged a warning this time rather than a citation.

The son told me that he had helped set up an electric fence, but his mother felt bad about the "fast" dog wearing the shock collar... :rolleyes:

vqdriver
07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
how about a normal fence?

vqdriver
07-14-2009, 07:33 PM
"known" bike chasers?
one, two, police reports. how many before they're classified as 'aggressive' animals and put down. it's in the dogs' best interest to contain them within the property.

rwsaunders
07-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Call your insurance company and they will notify the dog owner's insurance company of the incident. One strike and you're out with a dog bite, in terms of homeowner's coverage. The next cyclist that is bitten by this dog might not be so lucky.

I can send you a photo of an indentation that my 16 yo daughter has in her calf from an unprovoked incident 12 years ago, if you need a reminder.

Steve in SLO
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Well that just plain sucks.
Out for a nice ride and you get damage to yourself and your bike. I hope you and your bike heal quickly.
I hate to say it, but I feel bad for the dogs, too. Having irresponsible owners is a potential death sentence for them. The owners will probably get a ticket, but that might not get the message across to them. Any possibility that a petition to contain the dogs for their, and bikers' safety can be cobbled together? It can be left at an LBS or taken along on a group ride, signed, then presented to the owners. The owners might not realize how widely known their dogs are, or how widespread the problem is.

bluto
07-14-2009, 08:32 PM
RWSAUNDERS nailed it.

Report it to your insurance company and they will set the wheels in motion. The farmer will be affected enough to create a solution to the problem......as opposed to just shrugging it off and paying a pesky little fine.

Blue Jays
07-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Nice SmartWool socks and Diadora shoes......and keep that wound cleaned and properly-dressed until healed! What an unfortunate day on the bike. :(

BumbleBeeDave
07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
The son told me that he had helped set up an electric fence, but his mother felt bad about the "fast" dog wearing the shock collar... :rolleyes:

Perhaps she'll feel less "bad" after some other cyclist--less forgiving than you--sues her pants off.

BBD

PBWrench
07-14-2009, 09:34 PM
It sounds like the dogs are doing a Dairyland Dare.

Dekonick
07-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Hard to blame the dog - the owner has to step up and properly contain their pet. No excuses.

Glad you are ok - sucks about the spoke.

RaleighComp
07-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Full-size frame-fit pumps are much better implements for playing doggie polo than CO2 inflators.

Steve in SLO
07-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Full-size frame-fit pumps are much better implements for playing doggie polo than CO2 inflators.

I did that a number of years ago when a German Shepard being walked by its owner off leash came after me. At first I shot water at him, but he kept coming and caught the back of my tights, so I whacked him over the head with my frame pump and he backed off (thanks Campy metal head). The owner yelled at me for hitting his dog. No apology for my torn clothing, though. I just rode off. What was I going to do? I was a poor college student and the guy lived in Hope Ranch (wealthy) in Santa Barbara.

lavi
07-15-2009, 02:12 AM
I don't think it really does anything, but I heard somewhere the dogs can tell if you're afraid of them or not. I have a certain dog (thankfully behind a fence - he's a Rottwieler) at the top of one of my climbs. He and I are always screwing with each other. Sometimes, I'm so cross-eyed at the top of the climb, I forget that bastard always sees/hears me coming. Those days he get's the jump and scares the piss out of me and he goes balistic with his barking. However, some days, I'm waiting for him. As he's fenced, I feel safe, but I still hate that he gives chase. When I'm ready for him, I'm usually full of anger from the climb. I show him my teeth and stare him down...he backs right off. It's like he can tell I'm ready to kick the crap out of him if I need to.

I employed this tactic - not being afraid, being agressive, and showing my teeth - with other dogs when I get chased. They seem to sense that I mean business and back down.

I usually sprint off if I can help it though. I'm sure the showing my teeth with a snarl is just nonsense. It makes me feel good tho.

soulspinner
07-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Heel quickly(couldnt resist) :)

zap
07-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Scary when a dog hunts you down but normally they think of cyclists as something animal like and not human. Verbal commands work many times to stop or slow a dog down (or a peanut treat, carry one in your favorite jersey pocket) but sometimes those hunting hormones are raging and nothing short of a good wack will stop the dog.

I know I would be pissed if I got bit but the son appears to be cooperating so I'd chill and just have the dogs quarantined (including any reporting needed to get it done) just to make sure.

Now if it's a repeat offender, well, more needs to be done.

Folks walking dogs off leash :no: ..............I hate it when owners say their dog is friendly.........stories I can tell.

RABikes2
07-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Heal well thwart. Let's hope your next ride(s) will be great and incident free!

I've been bit twice while on the bike, it sucks.

RA

Blue Jays
07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
"...I've been bit twice on my bike, it sucks..."Imagine what the dog's teeth feel like after biting your bike...that must HURT!

RABikes2
07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Imagine what the dog's teeth feel like after biting your bike...that must HURT!
Actually, the dog's teeth and the bike didn't feel a thing, but my left calf didn't feel too great. :rolleyes:

Sandy
07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't think it really does anything, but I heard somewhere the dogs can tell if you're afraid of them or not. I have a certain dog (thankfully behind a fence - he's a Rottwieler) at the top of one of my climbs. He and I are always screwing with each other. Sometimes, I'm so cross-eyed at the top of the climb, I forget that bastard always sees/hears me coming. Those days he get's the jump and scares the piss out of me and he goes balistic with his barking. However, some days, I'm waiting for him. As he's fenced, I feel safe, but I still hate that he gives chase. When I'm ready for him, I'm usually full of anger from the climb. I show him my teeth and stare him down...he backs right off. It's like he can tell I'm ready to kick the crap out of him if I need to.

I employed this tactic - not being afraid, being agressive, and showing my teeth - with other dogs when I get chased. They seem to sense that I mean business and back down.

lavi,

I think that tactic would probably work well in many instances. However, if you met a genuinely dominant aggressive dog, he might take that as a challenge and might want to attack you. How about this tactic- Bring a biscuit or two and each time you pass the yard, stop, slowly approach, not directly, and not right up to him, and do NOT stare into his eyes. Gently toss a biscuit over or through the fence for him to eat. No need to even say anything. After a while he might associate you with somenthing good instead of a crazy maniac human (to him), In fact, after a while, he will probably look forward to seeing you- Not to eat you, but to eat the biscuit.

Milk Bone Sandy

2LeftCleats
07-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Recently on vacation, I had a very unpleasant experience while riding a 2 lane highway in rural western IN. As I climbed a hill, I saw a pack of dogs--2 Rotweilers and 3 pit bulls--heading my way at the perfect intercept angle. There was no way to outrun them, so I was forced to stop and dismount. Really a scary situation with lots of snarling. I kept my bike between us and got my water bottle ready. But I wasn't sure if squirting them wouldn't just piss them off more. Luckily, a guy drove up the road behind me and positioned his pickup between the dogs and me. They had to go around the truck to get to me but the delay was enough for me to escape. After my pulse slowed and I realized my shorts were unsoiled, I discovered that I'd passed my turnoff road before the dog incident and I had to go back past them. This time I had the advantage of downhill speed and didn't have a problem. Maybe I should have reported this to the sherriff, but judging from the number of other loose dogs in the area, there seemed to be a less-than-serious attitude towards this type of thing.

Sandy
07-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Recently on vacation, I had a very unpleasant experience while riding a 2 lane highway in rural western IN. As I climbed a hill, I saw a pack of dogs--2 Rotweilers and 3 pit bulls--heading my way at the perfect intercept angle. There was no way to outrun them, so I was forced to stop and dismount. Really a scary situation with lots of snarling. I kept my bike between us and got my water bottle ready. But I wasn't sure if squirting them wouldn't just piss them off more. Luckily, a guy drove up the road behind me and positioned his pickup between the dogs and me. They had to go around the truck to get to me but the delay was enough for me to escape. After my pulse slowed and I realized my shorts were unsoiled, I discovered that I'd passed my turnoff road before the dog incident and I had to go back past them. This time I had the advantage of downhill speed and didn't have a problem. Maybe I should have reported this to the sherriff, but judging from the number of other loose dogs in the area, there seemed to be a less-than-serious attitude towards this type of thing.

A loose dog is one thing. A pack of dogs (say 3 or more) is another. A pack of dogs comprised of 2 rottweilers and 3 pit bulls takes it to another level. Lots of snarling raises it even more. That is a situation that would probably really scare me- a pack and the two breeds- especially the 3 pit bulls. I would definitely have gotten in touch with the proper Animal Control, or as you said, with the sheriff. My guess would be that they all belong to the same owner and an owner of 5 dogs- pits and rotts, who would allow them to be out chasing, is highly suspect to me. Squirting water on those 5 dogs probably would have gotten them wet and very little else.

They chased as a pack with a pack mentality and then lots of snarling- 3 pits and 2 rotts- A disaster waiting to happen.

Snarling Sandy

Kevan
07-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I guess they're bidding their time when the dogs can do some real damage to some cyclist. Dog bites, face plant, broken bones...

I think you'd be doing them some service reporting them now. Not going to be popular, but they don't seem too concerned about repaying you for your pain and suffering.

Maybe the medical costs include a case of nice wine, perhaps.