PDA

View Full Version : Will DA triple STI work on double crank?

tv_vt
07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Friend has a 9 speed triple DA STI left/front shifter and has offered it to me to use with my double crank. Will this work or do I need to get a double STI shifter?

Thanks for the info/advice.

Thom

SoCalSteve
07-14-2009, 04:58 PM
It will work just fine. Its all in the way you adjust the front derauiller.

Good luck!

Steve

mscott
07-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Friend has a 9 speed triple DA STI left/front shifter and has offered it to me to use with my double crank. Will this work or do I need to get a double STI shifter?

Thanks for the info/advice.

Thom

I have an Ultegra triple shifter that I use on a double crank. It works great. Should be the same with DA.

Mike

Pete Serotta
07-14-2009, 05:33 PM
as Steve says...works fine!!!

Ken Robb
07-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I have read that Ultegra is ok dbl or triple but DA is one or the other. Obviously our pals here have proven that wrong. I wonder if you can limit the travel on a triple to make it work as a double but that a double DA won't work as a triple??

SoCalSteve
07-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I have read that Ultegra is ok dbl or triple but DA is one or the other. Obviously our pals here have proven that wrong. I wonder if you can limit the travel on a triple to make it work as a double but that a double DA won't work as a triple??

You can go smaller, not bigger with 7800. In other words, if you have a triple left shifter (7803), you can use it for 3 chainrings or 2. But if you have a double (7800) it will ONLY work for 2 chainrings.

If this is TOO confusing, I apologize. :confused:

Steve