PDA

View Full Version : Vacationing With Bike

kgrooney
07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Every year I go on at least one vacation where I bring my bike while my wife spends time at the beach and every year I become stressed as the departure date arrives.

My stress is a result of traveling with the bike on the roof and the possibility of rain during some or all of the road trip.

Does anyone else have this stress and are there products I can use to cover the bike in the event the forcast calls for rain?

Appreciate the assistance.

EddieBirdsell
07-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Enclosed trailer?

Ozz
07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
I assume there is no room in the car?

I have a yakima bike-bra that covers the front of the bike and seat for roof top racks...don't really use anymore.

Have a Thule T2 now, and been thinking of getting a drivetrain cover to protect bike. Pygmy Bikes has one, as does Excel and ProBikeKit....just have not decided which one yet.

kgrooney
07-14-2009, 01:41 PM
I assume there is no room in the car?

I have a yakima bike-bra that covers the front of the bike and seat for roof top racks...don't really use anymore.

Have a Thule T2 now, and been thinking of getting a drivetrain cover to protect bike. Pygmy Bikes has one, as does Excel and ProBikeKit....just have not decided which one yet.

Nice ideas. THX.

kgrooney
07-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Enclosed trailer?

For the family, right?.....and put the bike in the car!!!

I like it.

fiamme red
07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
For the family, right?.....and put the bike in the car!!!

I like it.That was funny. :D

jchasse
07-14-2009, 02:07 PM
hmmm, do most people worry about their bikes getting wet? I'm honestly just curious...

i ride mine in the rain without worrying. so i've neever worried about it when it's in a rack. the only thing i would give any thought to is maybe taping a plastic bag on a leather saddle to keep it clean/dry.

ahumblecycler
07-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Owning a wagon, I do not have this issue. However, I would suggest a Trico Iron case ... break down the bike and store it in your trunk. You should have enough room for suitcases and such.

I would to part with my case if you are interested ...

Kevan
07-14-2009, 02:23 PM
plastic bag the seat and iphone/gps your route. This is my first month owning such a device and I had a blast using it in an area I'm not too accustomed to. Visiting Lenox MA, I've done most of my riding west and north of the village. Using the iphone, I decided new turf had to be explored so I went off in the opposite direction and would occasionally refer to it, making sure the road didn't deadend and was going in a direction I wanted to go. I ended up on dirt, beaten and beautiful roads and lanes that saw little traffic. Bugs were caught in my teeth as I grinned my way through a self-determined route, pleased with my exploring. Okay...it isn't the fastest riding, but for sightseeing, yuh can't do better.

Cinci Jim
07-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I have a friend who uses one of those roof top boxes for this reason. Wheels off and then wraps it up in blankets. No worries for the whole trip AND no one can see the bike so he feels safer about it up there.

allegretto
07-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Thule makes a case for travel thru the airposts and it mounts to their roof rack system as well.

i'm with you. i don't like my bike getting wet. but i lower the back seats and she fits in the trunk with all the luggage space i could ask for when it's just wifey and me.

Ken Robb
07-14-2009, 06:54 PM
plastic bag the seat and iphone/gps your route. This is my first month owning such a device and I had a blast using it in an area I'm not too accustomed to. Visiting Lenox MA, I've done most of my riding west and north of the village. Using the iphone, I decided new turf had to be explored so I went off in the opposite direction and would occasionally refer to it, making sure the road didn't deadend and was going in a direction I wanted to go. I ended up on dirt, beaten and beautiful roads and lanes that saw little traffic. Bugs were caught in my teeth as I grinned my way through a self-determined route, pleased with my exploring. Okay...it isn't the fastest riding, but for sightseeing, yuh can't do better.

So you have gone over to the Ken Robb type of bike rides, eh? :beer:

Ken Robb
07-14-2009, 06:55 PM
my bikefriday folds into a Samsonite suitcase for travel so you might like one of those.

SoCalSteve
07-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Just buy an SUV, problem solved.

rugbysecondrow
07-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Or a minivan...just say'n

torquer
07-15-2009, 03:11 PM
For $20, this may reduce your stress somewhat:

http://velonews.com/article/93096/wrenched-and-ridden-the-chain-condom

Dunno if the name may increase it on the domestic front, though :rolleyes:

gearguywb
07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
I have a friend who uses one of those roof top boxes for this reason. Wheels off and then wraps it up in blankets. No worries for the whole trip AND no one can see the family so he feels safer about it up there.

Are we referring to the family again?

Ken Robb
07-15-2009, 03:31 PM
though prices are up this year it is still a bargain to rent a car for a week or two. I rent whatever is needed for a particular trip and avoid putting miles on the cars I own and/or driving a truck all year so I can use it for a cycling or skiing trip.

EddieBirdsell
07-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Are we referring to the family again?

Well played.