PDA

View Full Version : Castelli bibs

CNY rider
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Just curious what folks think of Castelli bibs?
I bought a pair from the Serotta store last holiday season when they were on sale at a good price.
Had never ridden in Castelli garments before but wanted to give them a try.
Let's just say they are not a good match for me.
The chamois starts feeling like sandpaper after about 20 miles. Legs are cut short and the bib is very low in the front.
Also bunches up in the groin.
These are far and away my least favorite bibs, ever.
Did anyone else get them from Serotta Store last year? How are they working out for you?
Hope that the store re-opens some time, with Giordana bibs............

Ray
07-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a couple of pair, but not from the Serotta store. I like them pretty well, but not as much as Volers. I bought the cheap ones with the KISS chamois, so comparable to Volers. I didn't have the problems you had, but the material and the chamois all sort of feels like it moves around a bit rather than staying where I want it. But I still ride them and have done some long rides on them and didn't hate them by a long shot. I bought some Giordana's on sale once that I HATED - they were painful from about five miles in. So I know of what you speak. Tried 'em about three rides and then chucked them. There are enough causes of suffering on a bike without the bibs making it worse.

-Ray

CNY rider
07-14-2009, 09:10 AM
I bought some Giordana's on sale once that I HATED - they were painful from about five miles in. So I know of what you speak. Tried 'em about three rides and then chucked them. There are enough causes of suffering on a bike without the bibs making it worse.

-Ray

That is pretty funny because for me the Giordanas are my absolute go-to gear.
I guess we all really are different.

Karin Kirk
07-14-2009, 10:09 AM
For the most part, I have had great luck with Castelli shorts, bibs, and tights, with the exception of last year's line (from which the Serotta collection was derived). The pair I got last year also bunch up on me and have short legs. However none of my other Castelli products are like that, so I would write it off as a bad year for them. Overall I still love their stuff and will continue to buy it.

The KISS chamois isn't that great, but the higher-end one (Y-Pro, for women - don't know if the men's version has a different name) works great for me. Of course, YMMV.

And as a side note, I think the Cervelo team kits by Castelli are the most stylish in the whole peloton. :cool:

TAW
07-14-2009, 10:41 AM
I'll second the recommendation for Y-Pro chamois. I've had Castelli shorts now for a while and I think they are quite comfortable. I'm not wild about the elastic "band" at the bottom of the legs, but the overall fit and comfort is great.

Marcusaurelius
07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
I've had Castelli shorts now for two years and I really like them.

Kines
07-14-2009, 10:53 AM
one pr of shorts with the KISS chamois here. "Simple" indeed. Nearly non-existant. I almost never wear them and consider them a waste of money.

KN