PDA

View Full Version : Campy Chain install - am I hosed?

GuyGadois
07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
OK, so I changed the chain on my bike today with a new Record 10 speed chain. I was in a hurry and when I put together the links (with the included HD-Link) and forgot to put the chain through one of the pully guards. I had to take the HD link back out that re-do the process after I put the chain through properly.

Did this just make the chain weaker?

-GG-

Dude
07-14-2009, 12:15 AM
it should be fine as long as it was reinstalled properly. If not, you'll know at the most inopportune time :)

A quick trick that i learned is that a chain pin is installed properly when you can catch a fingernail on each side of it. If you don't, it's not centered.

John M
07-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Next time something like that happens, just remove the outer derailleur cage and derailleur pulleys, re-route chain and reinstall. No need to break the chain again.

vqdriver
07-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Next time something like that happens, just remove the outer derailleur cage and derailleur pulleys, re-route chain and reinstall. No need to break the chain again.

+1
but I'll add that it's easier to do after you remove chain tension by dropping it off the chainring. Just stuff a rag or something above the bb to protect it.

vqdriver
07-14-2009, 12:39 AM
OP if you don't have confidence in the link now may be a good excuse to get a quicklink :)

sspielman
07-14-2009, 06:33 AM
You're hosed.

Elefantino
07-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Connex links make life easier.

Other'n that, you should be fine.

Dave
07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
The current Wipperman connex link, marked 10 SPEED is really too wide across the inside of the plates and it will be a sloppy fit. It will probably still work, but the 10S1 model is what really fits. A SRAM 10 powerloc will fit, as will a Forster superlink model 4.

palincss
07-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Seems like a lot of work to go through to avoid something you'll do every 100 miles or so for the sake of cleaning, atmo.

Dave
07-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Campy expects the chain to never be removed from the bike during it's entire life. Hence no provision to take it apart.

Think harder. The chain must be broken apart to remove it from the bike. Taking the RD cage apart won't do it.

goonster
07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Seems like a lot of work to go through to avoid something you'll do every 100 miles or so for the sake of cleaning, atmo.
You take the chain off for cleaning at 100 mile intervals? How long do your chains last?