PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan bike rental?

dogdriver
07-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey all- work takes me to Midtown for the day on Wednesday. Any suggestions as to where to rent an OK road bike for a 2-3 hour ride? I've tried a few places in Mahattan, but haven't been impressed enough with any of them to go back. If someone doesn't save me, I'll just eat my way around the city for 10 hours, so you can look at help as a health issue...

Thanks, Chris

Blue Jays
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Post your approximate size and perhaps a local Manhattan forumite will help with a loaner.
Have a great trip.

dogdriver
07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Very kind thought-- I'm a 55-56 TT guy. In the meantime, I shook a few hours free in the morning Tuesday before leaving home and hope to beat myself up enough to recover (er, eat my way around Manhattan) on Wednesday...

WeakRider
07-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Manhattan Velo (www.manhattanvelo.com) rents bikes. Mostly hybrids of course, but you should call 'em to see if they have anything nicer.

slowandsteady
07-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Ride at home - eat in the city!

Do what a city is best at (food). Although i grew up in NYC and rode my brains out aall over the city and throughout high school it is a different kind of riding - rough and tumble jungle riding with tons of cars and traffic and pedestrians all conspiring against the rider...fun but you have to be ready for the start/stop/honking/yellling/ speds who who step out in front of you etc. If you are gonna ride The Park (Central park) or head north of the city, though great riding, That aint NY riding! Just ride at home and eat your way uptown!

EDS
07-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey all- work takes me to Midtown for the day on Wednesday. Any suggestions as to where to rent an OK road bike for a 2-3 hour ride? I've tried a few places in Mahattan, but haven't been impressed enough with any of them to go back. If someone doesn't save me, I'll just eat my way around the city for 10 hours, so you can look at help as a health issue...

Thanks, Chris

Check out Toga on the UWS (or UES, if you prefer).

goonster
07-14-2009, 11:16 AM
I'll just eat my way around the city for 10 hours,
Why would you want to get out of this? If you don't spend the evening chasing a pastrami OD, you've wasted the trip.

edit: what I'm trying to say is that Manhattan is much more of a food destination than a cycling destination. Put in an extra ride when you get home.

johnmdesigner
07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Go to Central Park South to SBR (1 block further south).
Rent a crappy bike.
Do the Central Park Loop.
Have a pastrami at Artie's on B'way and 83rd.
Ride down to the Parker Meridian hotel on 56th st and have a hamburger in the hidden burger bar.
Ride up to Haru on Amsterdam and 81(?) for some great lobster rolls.
Return the bike and go downtown to see the new Hi line park.
Mission accomplished. :D

fiamme red
07-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Go to Central Park South to SBR (1 block further south).
Rent a crappy bike.
Do the Central Park Loop.
Have a pastrami at Artie's on B'way and 83rd.
Ride down to the Parker Meridian hotel on 56th st and have a hamburger in the hidden burger bar.
Ride up to Haru on Amsterdam and 81(?) for some great lobster rolls.
Return the bike and go downtown to see the new Hi line park.
Mission accomplished. :DRent a good lock too. :)

alancw3
07-14-2009, 12:52 PM
many years ago when i use to do continuing education we always stayed at the marriot essex house at central park. around back of the hotel was a bike rental place (beaters) but you could go across the street to central park and ride for hours. one night i left at 6pm and road until 7;30 and never reached the other side of the park. i was advised to get back out of central park before dark so i turned around. it was a fun time. i wish i had my bike up there on a weekend morning to explore central park more.

dogdriver
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks, all. I bagged the ride option, choosing to go the conspicuous consumption route. After sampling Barney Greengrass, Manganaro's, and some noodle joint in Chinatown (thanks to the guy who thught up the Metropass), I lie in my hotel room with a new appreciation for what a boa constrictor feels like after eating a gazelle.

I did stop by Signature Cycles while digesting breakfast-- great eye candy and nice folks. If that trunk of money ever arrives from the forgotten relative, Signature will be my first stop.

Kudos to you guys who live in the city and stay in shape. Were I a Manhattan denizen, I'd weigh 400 pounds.

dannyg1
07-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Kudos to you guys who live in the city and stay in shape. Were I a Manhattan denizen, I'd weigh 400 pounds.

Nobody who lives here can actually afford to eat.

MAMAEV
03-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks, Chris
Don't think you still needed). But if for all other members looking for bike rental places in Manhattan i would recommend that one - Central Park Bike Rental (http://www.centralparkbikerental.org/).
Though there many in the area... Also i've heard that they are building now public bicycle system in NYC! The same they have in Europe cities like Barcelona.

leooooo
03-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Don't think you still needed). But if for all other members looking for bike rental places in Manhattan i would recommend that one - Central Park Bike Rental (http://www.centralparkbikerental.org/).
Though there many in the area... Also i've heard that they are building now public bicycle system in NYC! The same they have in Europe cities like Barcelona.

Don't think? I'm damn sure he doesn't need it.

I've rented from Central Park Bikes when friends and family came and wanted a lap around CP. But super OG OP post was asking for a road bike, which they definitely do not carry at all