PDA

View Full Version : DT Swiss rims & red spoke nipples??

wwtsui
01-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Am getting a pair of wheels built up by Mike Garcia (oddsandendos). This is obviously subjective, but he was suggesting red spoke nipples to, um, better tie in those red stickers on the rims and hubs. Any thoughts? (The wheels are for a unpainted ti bike.)

Thanks.

FierteTi52
01-15-2005, 07:14 PM
I did red alloy nipples with black Open Pro rims and it looks great. My wheels builder made a few "pimp my ride" jokes, but he ended up thinking the finished product looked nice. I'm using them on a natural Ti and natural carbon Ottrott. The decals are red with white outlines and the red nipples blend in nicely.
Jeff

92degrees
01-15-2005, 07:24 PM
What hubs?

wwtsui
01-15-2005, 09:00 PM
FierteTi52 -- have you by any chance posted pics with those wheels? I tried a quick search and didn't see any.

92degrees -- not sure whether you're asking me or FierteTi52. After much helpful discussion with Mike Garcia (boy does that guy know a lot of stuff about wheels & components), we settled on the DT Swiss 240s hubs. (It was down to those and White Industries -- he seemed to think the Whites would be slightly less maintenance (standard pawls vs. opposing beveled plates of the DTs), but were slightly less well sealed and thus less well suited for wet conditions (which we get our share of here in Beantown).

Thanks!

92degrees
01-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks, that's the wheel I've been hoping to have Mike build but there's been a delay on the 240s last I spoke with him. Does he have them now? I should call him again methinks.

FierteTi52
01-16-2005, 01:02 AM
The hubs are DA 10. I will try to post a picture.
Jeff

wwtsui
01-16-2005, 07:53 AM
I spoke with Mike middle of last week -- he doesn't have them in stock right now, but his DT rep had told him they'd be back in stock next week or so. I'm not gonna need these wheels until winter is over in Boston :( , so even if it's a few weeks, it's not an issue for me.

92degrees
01-16-2005, 08:22 AM
That's good news, thanks. I'm in W.MA so I hear you about the weather...more snow tonight :fight:

Ozz
01-16-2005, 09:01 AM
They should be finished next week!

My shop is building up a set up RR 1.1 with 240s hubs for me. I went with the brass (silver) nipples rather than red....not so much for the color, but the durability.

According to my shop, brass nipples are more durable and less prone to corrosion than alloy nipples, and since I am going to use these as my "everyday/commuter/" wheels I wanted them to be worry free....

Now this story does not address your question of color...

For me, it is a little too "flashy" and reminicent of anodized Ringle parts of the early '90's - along this the neon paint, this was sorta the "disco" era of cycling. O.K. - these are my hang ups....

My $0.02 for you is that unless the red is the same "red" as on the rims and hubs, it will not look right. But, if you want the "flash" and these are for your "look at me bike", go for it!

dirtdigger88
01-16-2005, 09:12 AM
for what it is worth I have that combo on my MTB- it looks ok- if you like it go for it- it will be different that most you see on the road- Ask yourself - do you want to stand out or blend it?

jason

FierteTi52
01-16-2005, 11:30 AM
WWTSUI,
Here is a picture of my wheel to give you an idea of what it would look like. I always figured if I'm paying for alloy nipples, they should stand out a little. Black nipples looks nice too.
Good luck,
Jeff

92degrees
01-16-2005, 12:55 PM
That looks cool. TBH, I was planning on taking the stickers off the rims and hubs -- there's nothing red on my bike.