PDA

View Full Version : Colorado CRL vs. Colnago Master X Light

msl819
07-13-2009, 04:52 PM
I realize this is a completely opinionated questions, but here goes.

I have a Serotta Colorado CRL that i ride and love but have always wanted as my dream bike a Colnago Master X Light. I am not thinking of selling the Serotta to help pay for the Colnago, but i am wondering if there will be any noticeable difference in ride experience between the two? Perhaps what i am asking is how much improvements have been made in high end steel bikes in the past 15 years. Money would be an object, but i do have a wife that understands and would be for me saving up to get the Colnago.

Again, i am asking for your opinions. Part says repaint the CRL, upgrade the components and you will be just as happy the other side says dont give up on the Colnago.

thwart
07-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I've ridden both, although not back to back... unless you need the thrill and excitement of a new bike, I'd keep your CRL.

That said, the Master X Light is a superior bike and amazing descender. And probably close to a pound lighter. But that CRL is certainly no slouch...

My 2 cents.

CSi guy
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
The difference would be in the geometry inho. I own a 7 year old CSI and a new Master X Light. The Colnago I think has a stiffer seat tube angle than your Serotta. I would buy the Colnago as they may be gone some years from now when everything is made from unobtanium :)

Just be CAREFUL in ordering your size in the Colnago. I ride a 57 ctc seat and top tube in the Serotta, a 59 in the Colnago, measured center to top.

msl819
07-13-2009, 05:43 PM
could you elaborate on the difference in the ride of the two frames? i realize that frames are only part of the equation, but you know what i am asking.

legacysti888
07-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I absolutely LOVE Serottas. I have 3, but I have never ridden a CRL. The only steel Serotta I own is a Singolo - which is a dream to cruise on.

That said, I also LOVE how the Master X Light rides. I have 2 with slightly different builds. The Master is absolutely stable at any speed especially descends. It;s not the lightest by any means, but it's a great all rounder that won't ever beat you up.

Just my humble opinion.

msl819
07-13-2009, 06:30 PM
for information sake i am 6'3 " and 200 lbs. if that makes a difference

palincss
07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
for information sake i am 6'3 " and 20 lbs. if that makes a difference

No worries about weight limits for you!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TK5AXoaGOl4/R2XZVN8_AKI/AAAAAAAAAPI/OQaUH20oytM/s400/stick_insect.jpg

cmg
07-13-2009, 11:13 PM
you could get a custom frame/fork for around or slightly less $$$$ than a new Master light.

msl819
07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
that certainly is true, but i have never had an issue riding stock sizes in the past. i guess i am somewhat ignorant to the benefits of going custom. i know is it good if you need changes in stick geo. I would love to hear the benefits to the average rider in going custom. My dilemna with that has always been that it would yield the same ride that i could get otherwise. i do like the idea that it would be custom made specifically for me, just not sure of the actual benefits.

Fivethumbs
07-14-2009, 07:06 PM
From what I am hearing, you want the Colnago because you want a Colnago. Getting a custom Brand X won't satisfy your desire to have a Colnago. Without much difficulty you could find a custom builder to build you a bike with the same geometry as the Colnago for about half the price. But after the novelty wears off will you still be satisfied? Just some food for thought.

Gothard
07-15-2009, 01:34 AM
I've had many Colnagos and many Serottas. There are minute differences between models but I would say in general that a Colnago is more "industrial", a bit less refined and very much performance oriented. A Serotta has clearly more effort in details, tube manipulation and general elegance.
Both are very efficient, but I'd give a nod to Serotta for longer-ride confort, and a slight nod to Colnago for all-out performance and very fast descending.
I am 6'1" and 200lbs btw.

lavi
07-15-2009, 01:44 AM
msl,

check you pm. I have ridden the X light. When they re-issued the Sarroni, I thought "I must have this bike".

Marcusaurelius
07-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I've had a few Serotta bikes including Colorado CRL and although I liked the ride I would have preferred the lower bottom bracket height and slightly more relaxed head angle of the newer Serotta frames.

Colnago Master Light is a nice steel frame but I have never been able to develop any affection for the italian threaded bottom bracket. (I had a older Colnago Olympic Master which is very similiar to the Master Light)

msl819
07-15-2009, 02:30 PM
thanks guys for weighing in your opinions on all of this. it is very much appreciated.

C50
07-15-2009, 02:45 PM
When I started racing as a kid, a few of the "old fast guys" were riding Colnagos. Colnago became the bike that I always associated with the passion, fun, and spirit which I started with when I got into riding. After 20 years of riding I finally could get one, a C40 and now a C50. I would say it surpassed all my needs in the area of performance and more importantly every time I ride it I get that feeling I first had when I started riding.

I have other bikes as well but I think of it like this, I could have Mexican food for dinner every night and be happy but I enjoy going out for a great Italian dinner as well. Can't lose either way. You already have a great bike in a Serotta and if you are in a position to give that up and yu can add the Colnago also you won't regret it for one day or one ride. Enjoy.

slowgoing
07-15-2009, 03:10 PM
You need to ride a Colnago so you can make an informed decision. They really do ride differently than most, with more slack head tube angles and higher trail (although I'm not sure if that is as true for larger sizes), making them more stable at speed and while descending. Once you ride one, your decision should be easier.

cmg
07-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Had a Colnago Master x-light which why i made the comment about going custom. I loved the solid feeling, the paint job, even got along with the italian bottom bracket and it was my fastest bike but i was always was trying to tweak my setup. oh yea, when i saw the Saronni i could easly see the passion but didn't want to afford it. I tend to ride the smaller frames and their hard to find. So the solution was a custom that got the geo tweaked.

legacysti888
07-16-2009, 04:45 AM
The only Colnago that even piqued my desire to own was a steel Saronni Master, not the Mexico/Super version. I suppose it's the tubing design. I have ridden many different Colnago models but never owned one until recently. I now have 2 Master X-Lites and quite happy about it.

Oh, and an almost NOS 1977 Colnago Super with NR group I picked up from Jack B.

They do ride quite differently.

CSi guy
07-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I rode my Master X Light, Zabel Edition (Blue/white) last night and would recommend you buy the Colnago and keep or repaint the Serotta if needed. I also own a CSi and love it also, but there is just something sexy about the Colnago. I also got the Milram Colnago Jersey, and bought a retro Del Tongo/ Colnago jersey. The first time I rode it a group of carbonites rode by and all remarked on how beautiful it was. If I had to keep just one of the two however the CSi in lt blue would win. Why not have two steeds?