PDA

View Full Version : Craziness of the TdF

CSi guy
07-13-2009, 04:49 PM
So I was out of town in San Diego for 10 days, got in a couple of rides thanks to a friend. Mid 1980s OLMO, nice steel bike. I come home and was yesterday watching and getting dressed for my own ride. ready to go when I noticed the bibs didn't feel right. Looked down and they were inside out!!! that would have been a wardrobe malfunction!!! On the ride and I hear a sound that seems to be coming from the front wheel, must be no grease left in the front hub. Stop and listen still making noise so think must be the tire valve loosing air. No ..was the garmin team water bottle with a bit of Isse carbonated drink hissing. I am obviously watching too much of the TdF. Last but not least scored a mid 80s noodle Vitus 979/Mavic equiped, Green Sean Kelly tribute on ebay. Life is good.

My prediction is that there will be two Astana riders on Paris podium.

regularguy412
07-13-2009, 05:04 PM
.... Last but not least scored a mid 80s noodle Vitus 979/Mavic equiped, Green Sean Kelly tribute on ebay. Life is good.

My prediction is that there will be two Astana riders on Paris podium.

Great! Just don't put any Spinergy Rev-X wheels on it. :no:

Not a good combination.

Mike in AR:beer:

Jeff N.
07-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Right. Lance and Armstrong. Jeff N.

CSi guy
07-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Lance and Armstrong....did he Kloden himself?

Jeff N. enjoyed the ride to Point Loma lighthouse ,down the hill, on other side and then back up.

Sandy
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
I do not know the riders like many here, but I agree. Two Astana riders on the podium. First will be Contador. Second might be Lance. I envision the Astana team simply dropping most everyone, with a torrid pace, on one of the upcoming mountainous stages, with Contador ultimately dropping Lance to establish himself as team leader. Just like I did to Indurain and Eddy Merckx in the past........in my dreams. :)

Sandy

jlwdm
07-13-2009, 06:44 PM
It is sad to see famous climbs like the Tourmalet rendered meaningless by the long downhill and flat finishes.

Jeff

rustychisel
07-13-2009, 07:02 PM
It is sad to see famous climbs like the Tourmalet rendered meaningless by the long downhill and flat finishes.

Jeff

It is the manner in which they are raced rather than the descent and flat finish which neuters the stage.

Consider, for instance, if a rider like Cancellara had gone out on a long raid from the Aspin, crested the Tourmalet with 4 minutes in hand and headed for the line (a la Landis 2006). Would that have caused a reaction behind?

Consider a race without radio communications in the same scenario. Would the peloton have let a lone raider get loose at all?

jlwdm
07-13-2009, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=rustychisel]It is the manner in which they are raced rather than the descent and flat finish which neuters the stage.

Consider, for instance, if a rider like Cancellara had gone out on a long raid from the Aspin, crested the Tourmalet with 4 minutes in hand and headed for the line (a la Landis 2006). Would that have caused a reaction behind?

QUOTE]

If there was any fear of Cancellara he would not be allowed to have a four minute lead over the Tourmalet. There is no such fear. The Tour of Switzerland made some people think Cancellara was a different rider than he is - unfounded.

The course did not allow a favorite to attack the Tourmalet and stay away.

You can't beat the Tourmalet followed immediately by Luz Ardiden - finish the descent and immediately start climbing again. I am a little biased in that this was the route used the year I was at the Tour and struggled on these climbs.

Jeff