PDA

View Full Version : DA 9 speed STI shifters - NIB - $460!?

tv_vt
07-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Was following an eBay auction for a pair of NIB Dura Ace 9 speed (7700) STI shift/brake levers yesterday. I bid up to $280 and got automatically outbid, so I stopped. When the sale ended, they had sold for $461.00. Geez. Why doesn't Shimano make another production run of these things? There is still so much demand out there, obviously. I'd probably buy two pairs if the price was anywhere around $300.

Or if another company was savvy, they could jump right in with a replacement that could work. Like how about SRAM 9 speed?

TV

Ray
07-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Was following an eBay auction for a pair of NIB Dura Ace 9 speed (7700) STI shift/brake levers yesterday. I bid up to $280 and got automatically outbid, so I stopped. When the sale ended, they had sold for $461.00. Geez. Why doesn't Shimano make another production run of these things? There is still so much demand out there, obviously. I'd probably buy two pairs if the price was anywhere around $300.

Or if another company was savvy, they could jump right in with a replacement that could work. Like how about SRAM 9 speed?

TV
Wow, $461? That's insane. When they were moving everything over to 10-speed, I bought a couple of sets of DA 9 speed STI levers for something like $250 each. I have one set of old ones on a bike and another couple of sets of lightly used ones on the shelf for when these die. Hopefully that'll be enough because I'm just not gonna pay that kind of money for shifters. Maybe I should buy 2-3 sets of 9-speed barcons and be done with it. Jeez.

-Ray

tmessenger
07-13-2009, 09:11 AM
I've had a bunch of these levers apart for re-lubing and the grease that Shimano uses dries out very quickly and gets sticky. N.O.S levers that are 5 or 6 years old could have shifting problems without disassembling them and re-lubing. I just did a set of 105 8 speed levers that were barely used and the grease in them was completely dried out. Do yourself a favor buy some campy ergo's and a shifmate and use those with your Shimano drive train.

tm

paulrad9
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Do yourself a favor buy some campy ergo's and a shifmate and use those with your Shimano drive train.

tm

You don't need shiftmate with Shimano 9 speed. 10 speed Ergos work perfectly* with 10 speed Shimano.

* you can also add feel better, look better and rebuild better

tmessenger
07-13-2009, 10:24 AM
You don't need shiftmate with Shimano 9 speed. 10 speed Ergos work perfectly* with 10 speed Shimano. * you can also add feel better, look better and rebuild better

Actually Campy 10's pull 2.8mm of cable which is the same as Shimano 8 speed shifters. Shimano 9 speed shifters pull 2.5mm so ya need the shiftmate. Campy 11's pull 2.6mm of cable so you might get them to work without the shiftmate for Shimano 9 sp ?

paulrad9
07-13-2009, 10:30 AM
You're right, but there's there's a workaround to get the two to work (http://www.hubbub.com/articles_ergopower.html) which changes where the rear derailleur cable is attached which alters the pull

tmessenger
07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
And now for something completely different: Mavic 840 derailleur (same ratio as DA 8 speed) with shiftmate #3, Shimano 8 speed cassette and post 2001 Campy 9 speed shifter, and yeah it shifts perfectly.

TimD
07-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Wow, $461? That's insane. When they were moving everything over to 10-speed, I bought a couple of sets of DA 9 speed STI levers for something like $250 each. I have one set of old ones on a bike and another couple of sets of lightly used ones on the shelf for when these die. Hopefully that'll be enough because I'm just not gonna pay that kind of money for shifters. Maybe I should buy 2-3 sets of 9-speed barcons and be done with it. Jeez.

-Ray

It is insane until you realize that $460 is actually quite close to the street price of the ST-7801 shifters, which by many accounts are less reliable and have had a much shorter shelf life.

Campy or SRAM for me next time. Hopefully the Shimano PMs read posts like this.

Tim

tmessenger
07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I design mechanical systems professionally and have an appreciation for well designed systems. Shimano makes some nice parts but their shifters are design to not be even basically serviceable by most and they use grease that seems go off very quickly, planned obsolescence ?

One of the guys in the club has 7800's that are already starting to hang in cool weather, they are less the two years old.

It is insane until you realize that $460 is actually quite close to the street price of the ST-7801 shifters, which by many accounts are less reliable and have had a much shorter shelf life.

Campy or SRAM for me next time. Hopefully the Shimano PMs read posts like this.

Tim

jvp
07-13-2009, 02:32 PM
my 1990 dura ace shifters still work great, maybe the old 8 speed grease is better than the new 9 speed grease. :rolleyes:

55/Rad
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
my 1990 dura ace shifters still work great, maybe the old 8 speed grease is better than the new 9 speed grease. :rolleyes:
My DA 8's work perfectly as well. I would rather sell my DA or Ultegra 10's before I get rid of the 8's.

Ray
07-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I have a set of 9-speed sti levers that have been on my everyday bike from the time 9-speed was within one year of being brand new. They've gotten balky once or twice and I shot some compressed air and some lube into them and they're still going strong. I realize they're not particularly serviceable and Campy is, but my experience with both is that Campy needs to be and Shimano doesn't. It all works.

I'm still not paying that kind of money for shifters though - I don't care WHAT they do.

-Ray

Kevan
07-13-2009, 03:59 PM
of Ultegra 9, one broken, both well used, I'd be willing to sell for 25% of that.

soupless
07-16-2009, 12:04 AM
You don't need shiftmate with Shimano 9 speed. 10 speed Ergos work perfectly* with 10 speed Shimano.

* you can also add feel better, look better and rebuild better

Is this true?