PDA

View Full Version : OT: Wave Runner's & Jet Ski's

jghall
07-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Needing some input please. As it stands now, I'm going to making the leap to a lake front property. It has been about 10 years since I was last water bound, so I am a bit out of touch with what has gone on in the wave runner/jet ski world.

With money being somewhat tight, reliability is probably my number #1 goal.

Any brand stick out better than the others? Thought, comments?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Jeff

sokyroadie
07-12-2009, 03:54 PM
If you can swing it get a 4 stroke - Honda, Sea-Doo, or Yamaha in that order,
But for not much more $$$ you can buy a boat rather than a toy :D

Jeff
Ex boat salesman

Having owned over the past 35 years: bass boats, cuddy cabins, jet boats 90+ mph, without a doubt my favorite are pontoons. They get everyone on the water and are cheap to operate.

majorpat
07-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Make fun of 'em if you want, they are great. In-laws have one on the lake in the Adirondacks...its like strapping a motor to your backyard! Get one, you won't be sorry.

Louis
07-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Some lakes don't allow jet-powered craft (noise issues, I'm told). I assume you know what's legal and what isn't but I thought I'd mention it.

rounder
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I just got back from vacation on a lake in maine. I noticed that there were lots of people paddling kayaks and that looked fun (i was paddling around in a canoe). There were not nearly as many motor boats as there used to be on the lake...the ones out there were mainly fishing. There were no jetskis. The local paper was featuring a story on a guy who had a place on a nearby lake with rules that said no jetskis. There was a guy who decided that he wanted to exercize his constitutional rights and rode around on his (what looked to me) large jetski. THe gendarmes stopped him to give him a warning. The guy would have none of that and insisted on a ticket so that he could make it an issue and fight it in court (!!!). Meanwhile, 40,000 in court costs later, the guy is still pursuing his fight. He has since stormed the lake in his jetski some more and gotten another ticket. He intends to continue his fight...this time with a public defender. You (sorta) have to admire his new england spirit. But, to me, the guy should be more respectful of his fellow lakers and their rights to peace and quiet.

csm
07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
there was an ad several yrs ago in one of the fly fishing mags I used to get that showed a guy with a fly rod catching and yanking a jet skier off. it created quite a bit of controversy in the letters the next few months. sorta like issues here somedays!

BumbleBeeDave
07-12-2009, 08:45 PM
. . . get a kayak instead, get some upper body exercise, and save us all from the noise and annoyance. :no: :( :mad:

BBD

endosch2
07-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Jet skis are partially banned (there is a loophole in the law that makes it hard to enforce) on the lake that I live near (NH), but where the law has fallen short there is a vocal community of people who will verbally accost jet-skiers and shame them out of the place.

The pollution aspect of PWCs has diminished due to 4 strokes (the older 2 stroke models dump 30% of the fuel unburned through exhaust into the lake) the idiot factor has not changed on these. I hate them and I would encourage you to just get a small boat or kayak.

Jeff N.
07-13-2009, 07:58 AM
PWC's are the scourge of the river (Colorado) where we go. Noisy, recklessly operated, in-the-way of legitimate boaters/skiiers. Get a boat instead. Jeff N.

BumbleBeeDave
07-13-2009, 07:58 AM
. . . motocross motorcycles . . . snowmobiles . . . 4-wheeler ATV's . . .

I know I'm probably going to come across as old, stodgy, grouchy, preachy, or whatever . . . But all of these are loud and invariably shatter the peace and quiet of wherever I seem to end up trying to find it. If they were all used responsibly it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately they're not. Too bad. They can all be useful and fun if used intelligently.

BBD

endosch2
07-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Just found this because I wanted to make sure my facts were not off.

"Personal watercraft - commonly known as jet-skis - are a common source of noise pollution near water. They can reach speeds up to 60 mph and emit noise up to 115 decibels. Noise alone is not the sole reason communities have sought to ban them. While jet skis comprise 5 percent of watercraft, the small boats are involved in 37% of vessel accidents, according to U.S. Coast Guard statistics. Pollution emissions are another problem: most water scooters use two-stroke carburated engines, which emit 20 percent to 40 percent of their fuel unburned, including MTBE.

The first ban on jet skis occured in Washington state's San Juan County in 1996. Since then, many towns have enacted bans or limits to using this type of watercraft.

At the state level, Maine and Vermont have passed bills banning personal watercraft on selected lakes. Maine, New York and Minnesota also have enabling legislation that allow waterfront municipalities to petition the state for jet ski restrictions on local waters. New Jersey has proposed but has not passed a similar law.

Nationally, in April 2000 the National Park Service issued a rule banning jet skis and other personal watercraft from all but 21 of its 87 parks and recreation areas where motorized boats are allowed. The ban will be extended to all national parks on September 15, 2002. "

CNY rider
07-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Part of this reminds me of the comments we hear as cyclists when SOME of us act like fools......you know, the letters to the paper about cyclists all being arrogant law-breakers because a few of us like to ride 3 abreast and not move for traffic, or consider stop signs optional, even in traffic, etc.

I bring this up because I am a paddler and have been anti-jet ski for as long as I can remember.
We now have a little summer camp on a lake and some very nice retired folks have a jet ski tied up at the dock next door. Big, powerful machine for 2, with a 4 stroke engine. Completely responsible owners and operators. Not real noisy at all either. You know what, now I don't hate jet skis so much any more. Just goes to show that what really matters are the folks involved, as much as the machine.

nicrump
07-13-2009, 09:00 AM
noise pollution, air pollution, water pollution and fossil fuel burning...

i am with BBD, get a kayak.

johnnymossville
07-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I'd go the kayak route personally, but if a personal watercraft is what you want go for it. The Sea-Doos seem pretty cool. I know absolutely nothing about them except for the few times I've rented them over the years. Had fun, but not enough to own one fun.

If I lived on a lake I think they'd be pretty cool to use as a personal fishing rig. Do guys do that? I know fishing from a kayak is a lot of fun.

rePhil
07-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Being a long time boater I used to hate PWC's.Then my son bought a couple of Sea Doo's. Powered by turbo Four strokes they were a blast. Used correctly, ie: not being a nuisance, they are a lot of fun.It's the owner , not the machine.

endosch2
07-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I agree its the owner and not the machine. I struggle to keep an open mind.

I witness bad PWC behavior virtually every time I see them. Yesterdays example of bad PWC behavior was the only two I saw were speeding (way beyond lake 40mph limit) into a meeting of three boats (mine being one) all on different trajectories, and took evasive action by going south of a bouy that they should have been north of.

I watched cringing in fear for their safety because there are several car sized rocks inches below the surface of the area marked by the bouy.

Yes I know this is just anecdotal, but the CG statistics tell the truth.

Last summer a friends ski boat was run into by a jet ski trying to jump his wake. The guy on the jet ski had his femoral artery severed in the accident. If there had not been a dr on the ski boat he would have died.

William
07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
http://www.trykauai.com/standup-hanalei-50.jpg

OR....

http://elephantbuttechamberofcommerce.com/images/Logo-DragBoat2.jpg

William

PS: The paddle board would do me fine though.

johnnymossville
07-13-2009, 10:46 AM

PS: The paddle board would do me fine though.

Didn't you mean "The paddle board(er) would do me fine though." :p

I think living next to the water is the most important part to choosing any of these kinds of toys. That way they'll get plenty of use.

Chad Engle
07-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I love this forum, guy asks "jet ski or wave runner" resounding answer "kayak". You guys kill me.

My inlaws purchased a lake house last year with ski boat and sea doo. Sea doo, very very fun, like a crotch rocket or dirt bike, not very functional for family use though. I used to hate pwc's as they really ruin a nice day fishing, but after riding one I see why people love them. We have had some ongoing mechanical issues, but this is an old Sea Doo that wasn't well cared for.

The skil boat is an open bow 17 footer. Much more useful, skiing, tubing, general boating with up to seven people. I must add that idiots in boats are just as annoying as idiots on pwc's.

I have to go +1 on the pontoon boat suggestion though. Rented several in the last couple years. Comfortable, tons of room, easy to fish off of. Kind of depends on how big of a body of water you frequent though.

Have fun and be safe, take a boater's ed. class if you haven't already.

Lance Armstrong
07-15-2009, 04:21 PM
lets go cycling

BumbleBeeDave
07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
I must add that idiots in boats are just as annoying as idiots on pwc's.

. . . but I have to go with my own observations--the percentage of idiots on jet-skis is much, MUCH higher than power boats in general. The annoyance factor--particularly in close to shore--is MUCH higher.

Also look at the accident statistics--what percentage of accidents PWC's are involved in vs. what percentage of the total boats they are. Also more revealing to me than the suggested kayak alternative is the general reaction of dislike to PWC's. I'm not the only one who doesn't like them. I wonder why so many people don't like them? Could it be because many others besides me have gone to the local or Adirondack lake in search of some peace and quiet, only to be met with . . .

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!ZOOOOOOOOOMMMMM !! WOO-HOOOOOO!!!YA-HOOOOOO!!!ZZZZZZZOWWWWWW!!

Hmmm . . . I wonder . . .

BBD

William
07-16-2009, 08:32 AM
. . .
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!ZOOOOOOOOOMMMMM !! WOO-HOOOOOO!!!YA-HOOOOOO!!!ZZZZZZZOWWWWWW!!

BBD

BBDave, I think your engine might be needing a tune up there. ;)

William

BumbleBeeDave
07-16-2009, 08:37 AM
. . . to duplicate the incredibly annoying sounds of those motors and riders yelling.

BBD

rePhil
07-16-2009, 11:51 AM
It's easy to become a pest, but again, a lot has to do with the riders. The newer machines are quieter too.
I know a lot of folks that are against them have never operated one, I used to be one myself.
Certainly circling in the same area all day is most annoying.

. . . to duplicate the incredibly annoying sounds of those motors and riders yelling.

BBD