PDA

View Full Version : Biking Blue Ridge Parkway (NC & VA)

rchristie
07-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi All -
Looking into planning a trip (maybe 4-5 days) of biking on the Blue Ridge Parkway and was curious if anyone had experience doing trips there. We would not be camping and would ideally fly in somewhere (Asheville, Charlottesville), ride one way, then shuttle/rent a car to get back. Any suggestions on:
- routes
- shuttle services
- accommodations

Thanks!
Ross

OtayBW
07-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi All -
Looking into planning a trip (maybe 4-5 days) of biking on the Blue Ridge Parkway and was curious if anyone had experience doing trips there. We would not be camping and would ideally fly in somewhere (Asheville, Charlottesville), ride one way, then shuttle/rent a car to get back. Any suggestions on:
- routes
- shuttle services
- accommodations

Thanks!
Ross
I rode it several years ago from Cherokee to Front Royal. Can't remember a lot the the logding specifics - sorry - but there are lodges in the Park areas and/or smaller motels all along the route. And I think a rental car could be had most anywhere along the way. Wonderful ride (but watch out for the RVs as much of it has no shoulder). Good luck.

Lifelover
07-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Email the guy from this site

Blue Ridge Cyclist (http://members.cox.net/blueridgecyclist/)

He is a very nice guy and rides the entire parkway, self supported just about every year.

Kines
07-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I am quite familiar with riding the BRP in VA and NC, but not so much with accomodations because we usually either do a day trip or camp.

In general, it gets significantly prettier and significantly hillier as you head south toward and beyond Asheville. As a cyclist my absolute fav area is the Pisgah National Forest. The Pisgah Inn is a great spot to stay, but the rooms themselves I can not comment on. We often stop there for lunch or dinner.

Also, Blowing Rock is a fantastic area to spend some non-cycling time. The riding isn't quite as scenic there, but still really nice.

It's all good.

HTH,
KN

Kervin
07-12-2009, 02:13 PM
You could ride from the Charlottesville airport to the parkway. I'd make a map for you. A very long time ago a friend stayed at The Peaks of Otter lodge (http://www.peaksofotter.com/). That would make for a 100 mile day. I've never been south of there.

link
07-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Black Bear Adventures (www.blackbearadventures.com) looks like they specialize in BRP tours. You could check out their itinerary for ideas.

jbrainin
07-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Try this:
Day one: Waynesboro, VA and bike to Peaks of Otter Lodge (on the Parkway)
Day two: Peaks of Otter to Floyd, VA
Day three: Floyd to Bluffs Lodge (on the Parkway, VA? NC?)
Day four: Bluffs Lodge to Blowing Rock, NC
Day five: Blowing Rock to Little Switzerland
Day six: Little Switzerland to Pisgah Inn
Day seven: Pisgah Inn to end of BRP (or Pisgah Inn to Asheville)

rnhood
07-12-2009, 05:30 PM
From a bike riding, and scenic perspective, I would recommend a trip to Western NC, staying in the Pisgah Inn on the Parkway, Balsam Inn just off the Parkway, or the town of Sylva - where you will have some amenities at hand.

The section of Parkway between Waterrock Knob and Richland Balsam/Graveyard Fields is probably the most scenic along the entire length of the Parkway. In addition, there are numerous routes in and around the Sylva/Cullowee/Franklin area which provide some great mountain and valley riding. See the Motion Makers website for some recommendations.

I also like the Peaks of Otter lodge as has already been mentioned if you decide on Virginia. Its a good place to stay and you can both bike and hike around there.

Galax, Va has very reasonable motel rates and, the roads around Galax are outstanding cycling roads (New River Valley). The Parkway is also at your fingertips.

But Western NC is the premier area for bike riding, all things considered.

GBD
07-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Ross,
It is a great ride.
We did it last year.
What we did was have 4 guys, three riding and one driving.
Started in Waynesboro, hoping to complete the 450 miles in 5 days. Did not happen as we got tired, had some rode closures that took us off course and we also had some rain.
There are plenty of hotels and B&Bs. Since we did not know where we would end up every day, we searched based on location daily and found a place to stay.
If you need more specific info, send PM.
Gal

acorn_user
07-13-2009, 11:16 AM
You can take Amtrak to get back to Charlottesville. The southerly route to Atlanta and New Orleans goes through North Carolina - But you'd have to get from the parkway to a station.

EddieBirdsell
07-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Black Bear Adventures (www.blackbearadventures.com) looks like they specialize in BRP tours. You could check out their itinerary for ideas.

I hung out with Paul from Black Bear at the VIP tents when I followed the Tour de Georgia last year. Great dude if you were to choose a supported trip, or I'm sure he could offer some helpful info. Try shooting him an e-mail.

rdparadise
07-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Ross:

I led a tour of the BRP from Ashville north to Big Meadows on Skyline Drive. This book is the best available for information regarding the roads, accomodations, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Ridge-Elizabeth-Charlie-Skinner/dp/0897323017

This second link is for a listing by milepost of what's on the BRP and various nearby things to see.

http://www.nukefix.org/parkway/parkwaymile.htm

There are a number of great places to stay, see, etc. based on your budget. Trying to do something this late in the season may limit the available dates based on mileage per day, etc. However, if you are going during the week, you will have better luck. The parkway lodges will most likely be sold out, however, nearby, off parkway accomodations may be available.

Two places I loved along the southern end of the parkway was Mt. Mitchell and Grandfather Mtn. Both within a few miles just off the parkway.

Good luck with your travels.

Regards,

Bob