PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Paris Robaix review

stackie
01-14-2005, 10:43 PM
I've asked about these several times on the forum and no one really seems to say much. Anyway, I wound up trying them on my Vanilla Fixie.

They measure out at 28mm inflated. I had heard rumors that they were not straight (unsure of what exactly this means). But, mine mounted just fine. The base tape seemed centered on the tire and the centerline was dead center when the base tape was centered. As far a ride comparison with the Veloflex Criterium (the only other tubie, that I've used this millenium), it's difficult. The fixie currently suffers an old Flite saddle from the time when I thought they were comfortable while the roadie has a Brooks Swift s/p Swallow mod. Also, the fixie suffers from a complete lack of gears or coasting ability which seriously detracts from the ability to perseverate over ride quality of the tire. I would say that it's a decent tire. It corners great (like tubies do), but the ride quality does not measure up to the Veloflex criterium, despite a good 6-7mm greater diameter. Perhaps not much better than a nice clincher. But, it won't pinch flat like a clincher and you get that sexy low profile tubular rim. Would I buy them again? Yes, I need to contact yellow jersey and see if they'll create a two and a spare deal on these for me. Is there another tire that I'd rather be riding? Sure, Clement make your P-R with a skinwall instead of the all black and sell them for about $40 and I'll switch in a heartbeat. Until then, I'm sticking with these for the fixie. Unless I win the lotto and can afford to buy Dugasts.

I'm also considering the lower end Clements for the roadie since the prices on the Veloflex tires have seemed to escalate significantly in the last few years. Darned weak dollar. Has anyone tried these?

Jon

Someday I'll post a pic of the Vanilla fixie, she's a beaut.

coylifut
01-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Anyway, I wound up trying them on my Perhaps not much better than a nice clincher. But, it won't pinch flat like a clincher and you get that sexy low profile tubular rim. .

Just wondering, how often do y'all pinch flat? I've pinch flatted once in the last 3 years. Maybe robust people pinch flat more than lighter folks.

Ozz
01-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Just wondering, how often do y'all pinch flat? I've pinch flatted once in the last 3 years. Maybe robust people pinch flat more than lighter folks.

Ummm, yes, yes they do I'm afraid. Especially when using too narrow of tires.... ;)

stackie
01-15-2005, 11:49 AM
There are two mechanisms for pinch flats.

One is an adverse relationship between tire diameter, tire pressure, road conditions, and body mass.

The second is creating the pinch when installing the tube/tire combination. It's just waiting to blow when you cause a sudden increase in pressure, say bunny hop, pot hole, etc. I think that this type of pinch is more likely if you use tire tools to mount the tire and with kevlar bead tires, some brands more than others.

The only fool proof way to avoid pinch flats is to go tubie! Not that I really had that many once I stopped using any tools to mount a tire other than hands and made sure my tire pressure was always 115 or greater. But, until I figured these things out, I'd have pinch flats all the time.

Jon

coylifut
01-15-2005, 02:16 PM
There are two mechanisms for pinch flats.

One is an adverse relationship between tire diameter, tire pressure, road conditions, and body mass.

The second is creating the pinch when installing the tube/tire combination. It's just waiting to blow when you cause a sudden increase in pressure, say bunny hop, pot hole, etc. I think that this type of pinch is more likely if you use tire tools to mount the tire and with kevlar bead tires, some brands more than others.

The only fool proof way to avoid pinch flats is to go tubie! Not that I really had that many once I stopped using any tools to mount a tire other than hands and made sure my tire pressure was always 115 or greater. But, until I figured these things out, I'd have pinch flats all the time.

Jon

You forgot one mechanism. Riding technique.