PDA

View Full Version : Campy Cassette with SRAM Drivetrain?

RADaines
07-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Anyone out there using a Campy 10 speed cassette with a SRAM drivetrain? I am thinking about changing from my 2005 Chorus to SRAM Red and was told that I could still use my current cassette and hub. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

Bob

Pete Serotta
07-11-2009, 03:02 PM
The shifting can be made to work with the CAMPY, But I would see about either switching the "carrier" on the hub to SHINAMO/SRAM or selling the wheels are getting some others.......

As a side note, ask yourself what you like about SRAM RED over the CHORUS or even the new CAMPY CHORUS.... They both work very well.

Also there is a device that will allow you to use CAMPY cassette and I am told shift very well. It is called jtec or something like that...... It someone does not post the name, I will look to get you the site.

PETE

ridethecliche
07-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Zinn's take on it:

http://www.velonews.com/article/73404

I've been using a campy drivetrain with shimano chain on a shimano rear wheel (10 speed) with no complications.

Dave
07-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Zinn's article is not relevant to the question. He's talking about a different mix and he hasn't done his homework very well, with poor measurements of the comparable cable pulls. The Campy cables pull far less than the 3.1mm per shift required by the SRAM RD and they are not uniform, like the SRAM cable pulls.

If the whole drivetrain is SRAM, except for the cassette, you have 4.15mm spaced cogs mated to a drivetrain the undershifts significantly to 3.95mm spacing. A J-tek shiftmate is needed to correct that, if you want decent shifting.

Without correction, the RD adjustment becomes much more critical. You have to carefully split the undershifting between up shift or down shifts, or the error will be quite large at one end of the cassette.

Gold Knight
07-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Dave keeps saying this even on WW! I have been doing just this and no issues even with the decimal/fraction of cable pull! I have been using Campy chains/Wippermanns/and now KMCx10SL chains w/o any problems

i do value Dave's opinoins and calcs on these aspects but after mixing these companies up since 8speed systems--they work just fine.

Pete Serotta
07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Dave is correct on this one (as he usually is).

Because of manufacturing tolerances and what some consider "acceptable" shifting - things will work for "some"

Simple answer is that "give it a try" and see if acceptable to you.

I did not even find 10 speed campy hubs/cassette in 78oo group acceptable to me, but many others have found it ok for them,
:D :D

Pete

Dave
07-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Dave keeps saying this even on WW! I have been doing just this and no issues even with the decimal/fraction of cable pull! I have been using Campy chains/Wippermanns/and now KMCx10SL chains w/o any problems

i do value Dave's opinoins and calcs on these aspects but after mixing these companies up since 8speed systems--they work just fine.

So you have the EXACT mixed system described by Zinn - Campy 10 shifters with a SRAM 10 RD and SRAM (or Shimano) cassette? If not, your repsonse is off the mark. Were are not talking about mixing chains. I've had no problem with that.
All 10 speed chains are pretty much interchangeable since they all have the same 5.9mm width. Shifting performance will vary depending on the mix, but it's not a must to match chain brands to the drivetrain. I've used Shimano and KMC chains on my Campy drivetrain with no problem.

To be more specific about the Zinn article, it is easy to prove that his initial stement is incorrect. A SRAM shifter pulls a uniform 3.1mm of cable per shift. After the first five shifts, that's 15.5mm of cable pull. A Campy shifter pulls far less - only about 13mm for the first five shifts.

The J-tek website also mentions the problem. Although their device will increase the Campy cable pull to reduce the shifting mismatch, it can't fix the nonuniform cable pull of the Campy shifter. Campy shifters pull about 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice.

cmg
07-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Get yourself a veloce cassette, the campagnolo cassette that doesn't have the cogs anchored together with an aluminum spacer, usaully the last 2 cogs are rivited together on centuar, chorus or record cassettes. Go to the Sram website and see if you can find the cassette cog spacing and use Wheel manufacturing spacers to match the spacing. http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/517/42/