PDA

View Full Version : if you do, what bike do you Tri with?

allegretto
07-10-2009, 07:38 PM
i know many here have Serottas, but the Meivici AE is the only aero they have. and i am thinking about Tri bikes.

so what do the real users, use?

as always, thanks

:)

TC Johnson
07-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I am no pro by a long shot, (too old, and way too slow), but as a titanium fan, I searched for and found a 2004 Litespeed Blade frameset on the 'bay. Training and racing this bike is a treat, and doesn't beat you up before the run. It doesn't hurt that the Blade is nicely aero as well.

Litespeed makes great Ti tri bikes for people who don't get to buy new ones all the time.

The pros love their carbon rides, because for them, seconds matter. For us AGers, comfort is king.

TC

Dekonick
07-11-2009, 12:59 AM
I 'try' to ride all my bikes. I sink like a rock so no Tri's for me.

rinconryder
07-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Cervelo P2C - probably one of the best bang for the buck bikes out there - Wellington rode it to multiple Ironman victories. Geometry is not overly aggressive and you are not slammed to the top tube like many tri bikes out there.

rugbysecondrow
07-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I used my Concours this year and it treated me well. Comfortable, stable, fast, and didn't beat me up at all before the run. Really, I was ready to go after the rides.

I only got passed by one guy on a road bike, and he was riding a Land Shark and I think he was a part of a relay team, so that doesn't count. The other bikes that passed me were tri-specific bikes, and no other clydesdales.

I am thinking about getting a tri-bike, but I am trying to decide how much it is worth for me to be a just a tad faster. At least if I get a TI frame litespeed or comperable bike, then the resale will be better then a carbon frame bike.

Cheers.

caleb
07-11-2009, 04:11 PM
I have ridden a Yaqui (made my Ves Manderic in CA) for five years. Great bike.

If cost were no real object, I'd get a Litespeed Saber built to measure.

PS. This assumes I/you already have a road bike. If no road bike, I'd buy a standard road bike with drop bars and use it for tris.

cp43
07-11-2009, 04:20 PM
My tri bike is a cervelo P2k that I bought from a guy in my club. I've only used it in one race so far, but so far so good. Several of the guys I ride with have the Cervelo P3, and they all like them.

Chris

ds97a
07-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I do primarily half IM distance and my first full IM at Lake Placid this year (2 weeks, yike!) Wish me luck...

To answer the question though, I have a 2007 Serotta CDA with a fast forward seat post and clip on aerobars. I've found it to be very comfortable, and stable on the descents. I have changed the seat to the ISM Adamo Racing Saddle, and Vision S-bend aero bars.

I continue to lust after a dedicated tri bike. At the moment I am betwixt several. Parlee, CXII, Guru and a variety of others that catch my eye. Unfortunately, my CDA is very comfortable and a good match for the hilly courses. I just wish that It or I was a bit lighter.

Keep the rubber side down!
-Dan

RFC
07-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Quintano Roo Santo Ti with a little different shifter configuration that gives me more control for general riding.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0020r.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0026r.jpg

allegretto
07-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I do primarily half IM distance and my first full IM at Lake Placid this year (2 weeks, yike!) Wish me luck...

To answer the question though, I have a 2007 Serotta CDA with a fast forward seat post and clip on aerobars. I've found it to be very comfortable, and stable on the descents. I have changed the seat to the ISM Adamo Racing Saddle, and Vision S-bend aero bars.

I continue to lust after a dedicated tri bike. At the moment I am betwixt several. Parlee, CXII, Guru and a variety of others that catch my eye. Unfortunately, my CDA is very comfortable and a good match for the hilly courses. I just wish that It or I was a bit lighter.

Keep the rubber side down!
-Dan

Luck bro :D

allegretto
07-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I used my Concours this year and it treated me well. Comfortable, stable, fast, and didn't beat me up at all before the run. Really, I was ready to go after the rides.

I only got passed by one guy on a road bike, and he was riding a Land Shark and I think he was a part of a relay team, so that doesn't count. The other bikes that passed me were tri-specific bikes, and no other clydesdales.

I am thinking about getting a tri-bike, but I am trying to decide how much it is worth for me to be a just a tad faster. At least if I get a TI frame litespeed or comperable bike, then the resale will be better then a carbon frame bike.

Cheers.

for me anyway, it's as much about the different position/mission and since my 705 will do both, i'll be interested in the performance difference from my Meivici. will def go SRM on the tri-bike. not sure about the Meivici. but that would be the ultimate test.

eyeballing a P3C, but maybe a P2C is better as a first tri-bike