PDA

View Full Version : Packin' heat on STP

rcnute
07-10-2009, 05:56 PM
From http://slog.thestranger.com/blogs/slog/?hp:

Tomorrow I intend to complete the Seattle to Portland bicycle ride while openly carrying a loaded pistol. I've carefully reviewed the relevant laws of Washington and Oregon with which I shall comply. I'm willing to submit to an interview on this subject and thought you'd be interested, given your doubts about the subject.

I've served in the Navy aboard submarines, qualifying with and carrying a semiautomatic pistol thereon. I'm a member of the Washington Progressive Alliance, registered as a democrat and will admit to bisexuality and Athiesm. I've ridden bicycles as a means of commuting for many years but only in the past few have I started to ride long distances; I finished the STP in two days last year... this time I'm planning to finish in one. Could there be a better person to dispel the myth that all gun owners are bible thumping, politically regressive fundamentalists? Maybe, but you go to press with the references you have, not those you might want.

I'm planning to be back in Seattle on Sunday, give me a call any time. Also, I'll be twittering away throughout the ride as @sleepylemur on #bikeSTP.

Kind regards,
Lee Colleton

fiamme red
07-10-2009, 06:02 PM
So he'll be riding and twittering away at the same time? I hope his gun isn't loaded. :rolleyes:

pjmsj21
07-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Sounds like someone is starved for attention.

Pat Mc

Bud_E
07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
What is it with these bisexual atheists ?

shiftyfixedgear
07-10-2009, 06:35 PM
more proof that the mentally ill are drawn to firearms

mike p
07-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah, thats fair :confused:

Mike

more proof that the mentally ill are drawn to firearms

CNY rider
07-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I own guns, and support people's right to carry.

But I can't for the life of me understand WHY you would feel the need to do so on that ride, and WHY you would feel the need to advertise it in advance.

Just asking, begging for trouble is what it sounds like.

slowandsteady
07-10-2009, 07:09 PM
*** do we care about you riding with a gun. It's stupid and pointless. This post is nothing more than a grab for attention.

gdw
07-10-2009, 07:10 PM
"I own guns, and support people's right to carry.
But I can't for the life of me understand WHY you would feel the need to do so on that ride, and WHY you would feel the need to advertise it in advance.
Just asking, begging for trouble is what it sounds like"

+1 This guy definitely has a screw loose and is confirming some of the stereotypes that those of us who served in the other branches of the armed forces attached to the Navy. :D

dvs cycles
07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I own guns, and support people's right to carry.

Just asking, begging for trouble is what it sounds like.
+2 :confused:
Are we over compensating for our short comings or short something else? ;)

mike p
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
+3 Carry guns are all about discretion.

Mike

link
07-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Is your kit a cross between Chip n Dale and Rooster Cogburn?

majorpat
07-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Openly carrying a loaded pistol?

1st impression? Whatever gets you going, I guess.

If you want to get this ride done in a day, humping a 3 or 4 pound shootin' iron strapped to your hip may not add to your speed. Where you going to sport it? Drop holster? Shoulder rig? How many magazines?

Live it up, cowboy!

rustychain
07-10-2009, 08:23 PM
I am former law enforcement. To me guns are tools and I have no emotional attachment to tools. I do not have issue with someone protecting themselves but lets consider the issues related to guns and bikes.

Threats, mostly 3000lb vehicles coming at you from behind and dogs.

Responding to these threats is problematic. After the car has almost hit you and you pull your gun the car is no longer a threat. Further your heart rate would make getting off a accurate shot unlikely. You will be riding a bike one handed or on the ground. Dumb thing to do and most likely will result in a felony conviction. Also threatens bystanders, did I say dumb.

Killing dogs, Likely to provoke any motorist in the area to run you over.

Weight, and shape of a gun will possible injure you and hurt like hell if it does not go off and kill you first. Also not very aerodynamic

In my home town we have laws about being within 1000 feet of any school property with a firearm even with a license. Just sayin

I would point out to the OP that life aboard a sub and the crappy firearms training provided in no way make him as expert as I'm sure he thinks he is. Perhaps however he knows all this and is provoking a suicide by cop situation. At any rate he is not helping the case for cycling or 2nd amendment issues nor even his current status of being free to walk the streets

gdw
07-10-2009, 08:33 PM
"Is your kit a cross between Chip n Dale and Rooster Cogburn?"

Lee's a Rapha he-man for sure and is packing his compensator in a Galco, Hollywood's favorite, holster.

PS - He doesn't take kindly to being called a poser.

rcnute
07-10-2009, 08:58 PM
It's funny that people think that I'm the one packing.

Blue Jays
07-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Hope the writer of the narrative has an enjoyable bicycle trip.

Elefantino
07-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Cements my opinion that we don't need gun control; we need people control.

martinrjensen
07-11-2009, 11:48 AM
It's funny that people think that I'm the one packing.
Well it should be obvious. You got to remember that Internet posts are easy to misinterpret and yours was not clearly stated. Before you go of on a rant and say "YES IT WAS", I read the post and mistook that this was from you, as opposed to an insert from an article you read like all the rest. You need to make that fact clear as day. It was very easy to miss that fact.
Write your message so that grametically, it is easy to understand. Again, yours was easy to misinterpret, all you had to do was miss the first line. Your first line was separated from the rest of your post, very easy to do.

caleb
07-11-2009, 11:56 AM
What a crackpot. I hope the race organizer throws him out.

Chad Engle
07-11-2009, 12:06 PM
What is it with these bisexual atheists ?

POTD

rcnute
07-11-2009, 12:30 PM
:) :beer:

Well it should be obvious. You got to remember that Internet posts are easy to misinterpret and yours was not clearly stated. Before you go of on a rant and say "YES IT WAS", I read the post and mistook that this was from you, as opposed to an insert from an article you read like all the rest. You need to make that fact clear as day. It was very easy to miss that fact.
Write your message so that grametically, it is easy to understand. Again, yours was easy to misinterpret, all you had to do was miss the first line. Your first line was separated from the rest of your post, very easy to do.

Derailer
07-11-2009, 12:42 PM
POTD

Seconded, I lol'ed.