PDA

View Full Version : CK HS & logos in general.

Ahneida Ride
01-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Serotta Buds and Gals ....

I recently E-mail CK and asked if one could purchase a Logo free HS.

While polite, There response was to take a long walk off a short pier.

Logo's everwhere !!! Not only do I spend outrrageous sums on components
and clothing, but I am compelled to offer free ad space.

And Uncle Ben too sticks SEROTTA everywhere !!! But to Ben's defense
he will allow you to control the decals and even go completely stealth.
There is a default option. Not with everything else that goes on your bike.

Am I singular in this rant ???? Need I see KING shouting at me up front
and Carradice/Thompson in the back ????

I'm not riding a Nascar. My bike is not a roving road sign.

Sorry, end of Rant. I feel better.

vandeda
01-14-2005, 05:14 PM
yeah ... it's kinda funny if you think about it in my opinion. if i got out and buy a honda, or mercedes, or ferrari ... i don't see them sticking their logos on every available body panel. Bike components are funny ... they're like "HERE I AM ... LOOK AT ME ... LOOK AT ME ... I'M CHRIS KING" or whatever component/bike/whatever it may be.

Even more amusing, if I'm shelling out huge $$$ for a custom bike, then why not the option to truly paint it anyway you want, and that includes NO decals whatsoever? Let the bike speak for itself, if you like it, you'll likely tell every biker you know all about it.

Dan - LOOOOOK AT MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

hooverone
01-14-2005, 05:27 PM
maybe painting or sanding the logo off would work, but I guess not the point though

John H.
01-14-2005, 05:28 PM
As far as I know you can get them.
I have seen them at Steve Rexs' place in silver and black. If you are striking out try www.rexcycles.com.

dirtdigger88
01-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Kurt has a no logo CK headset-

jason

Blastinbob
01-14-2005, 05:41 PM
CK will sell you anything except hubs and headsets, our buddy E-Richie keeps them in stock, that where I bought mine.

shaq-d
01-14-2005, 08:00 PM
the chris king in big black letters is the single reason i prefer my campy record over it. otherwise, with all the accolades going for ck, i'd get it.

sd

eddief
01-14-2005, 09:42 PM
has them in silver and black. I've had very good experiences with FSA Orbit X headsets. They look a lot like CK and the logos are much more subtle. About half the price.

CNote
01-14-2005, 10:59 PM
...the logoless headsets are only of the threaded variety as far as I can tell. As he says, CK won't supply them anymore, so once Peter's are gone, they're gone.

As far as the logos go, my opinion is that I wouldn't ask an artist not to sign a painting of his/hers that I was about to buy. I realize bike components are different, but a CK headset deserves a certain amount of designer credit.

Ahneida Ride
01-14-2005, 11:44 PM
...the logoless headsets are only of the threaded variety as far as I can tell. As he says, CK won't supply them anymore, so once Peter's are gone, they're gone.

As far as the logos go, my opinion is that I wouldn't ask an artist not to sign a painting of his/hers that I was about to buy. I realize bike components are different, but a CK headset deserves a certain amount of designer credit.

And I paid a premium for that designer credit. Now it time for CK to disappear.And I dunno of a single artist that splahes his signature all over his work. Invision David with Michelangelo logo's all over him.

Can I get my HS reanodized ? No CK next time.

RichMc
01-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Don't like those King headsets with the logos? Send them to me! To each his own. Logos? I likes them. On the bike, the shorts, the jersey. I have been accused of being a rolling billboard. Oh well, just my taste. Picky about some things but not others.

eddief
01-15-2005, 01:14 PM
a free, democratic, capitalist society.

William
01-15-2005, 01:54 PM
If you wanted to go through the trouble, you could have it bead blasted to remove the logo. You would have to find someone with a blaster (like me ;) ) who would be willing to do it. You could have it anodized as well. But keep in mind the cost will increase that premium price.

MFG's are getting built in advertising, they pay for the paint & mask, You cover that price buy purchasing the product, then roll around the state as a moving bill board. It's not likely they will stop any time soon. But it would be nice if they offered an option.

As far as the logos go, my opinion is that I wouldn't ask an artist not to sign a painting of his/hers

Hey, I need to sign the Forum Logo. Right across the top:

WILLIAM

William ;)

Ahneida Ride
01-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Wlliam,

and make darn sure that font is better then Serotta !!!!!!!!

AR :D

Dustin
01-15-2005, 02:30 PM
They must have just changed their policy on this. I was able to get a logoless nothreadset for my new Kirk last October. It took almost three months from ordering it to getting it. For me, the clean look it provides was worth the wait. Too bad they've changed their tune. :confused:

bpm
01-15-2005, 05:26 PM
And I paid a premium for that designer credit. Now it time for CK to disappear.And I dunno of a single artist that splahes his signature all over his work. Invision David with Michelangelo logo's all over him.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but if you don't like the logo, you don't have to buy the headset. They make it and have the right to put whatever logos on it that they choose. You have the right not to buy it. It's that simple.

OldDog
01-15-2005, 06:05 PM

If it's silver, take a buffing wheel to it, best use a drill press or benchtop grinder with a wheel and some buffing compound. If need be buff down to bare aluminum, to polished finish will look good. Dont try this with a pigmented anodize, you'll buff it off.

BumbleBeeDave
01-15-2005, 06:29 PM
. . . a very personal and (for many) important choice.

I will be the first to admit that I come down on both sides of this argument. I love to wear the logos on my kit. The more way out the better (as anybody who’s seen me at the open house can attest!) But that’s partly, I think, from my desire to be different and distinctive. I want logos and gear nobody else has around here. Riding in complete Domina zebra stripes gets you noticed. Riding in a Trek jersey on a Trek bike does not. It’s also the reason I generally shun “designer” clothes when not cycling. I think THAT racket with Hilfiger or some such plastered all over the clothes is, well, just that--a racket.

That being said, I also really bridle at being forced to display logos I do not make a conscious decision to wear. Fortunately, with cycling gear the only time you really have to put up with it is if they are decals with a clear coat over them such as on a frame, carbon crank, etc. Almost anything else you can peel, rub, scrape, or buff it off. I don’t mind small, restrained, TASTEFUL logos. But when it has HED or ZIPP of SHAMAL or ZONDA or whatever written in letters big enough to read at a hundred yards, then I get excercised. The worst are the huge name graphics UNDER the clear coat . . .GRRRRRR!!

BBDave

vaxn8r
01-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Ahneida, do all component logos bug you or just CK...just curious why you singled them out...since most every component I've ever owned has a logo on it. I just wonder why in the world you'd think they'd leave it off? Have you ever seen that anywhere else? I haven't.

I will freely admit if I had a choice I'd get stuff without any logos. But what would those of us with Record do to distinguish our bikes? We need stars on our bellies dangit!

BTW, I have a bunch of CK headsets and they are all polished silver with a matte logo finish. Unless you're two feet away you can't see there is a logo. How about one of those?

xcandrew
01-15-2005, 10:31 PM
I have similar feelings about logos on components and even frames as I mentioned on the aesthetics thread. It's definitely not a snobby thing - I'm pretty sure I ride the lowest budget bike of anyone who occasionally browses this forum ('87 Trek that I bought new back then).

Looking at the catalogs, I would say that stems are the biggest offenders. Take a look at this selection: http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/displayproductlist_v2.cfm?&CGRFNBR=621&CRPCGNBR=621&TextMode=0&CI=1,225,501

Logos covering pretty much every square cm along the sides of just about every single one of them. All of them are black too. When did tastes become so homogenized that silver stems are now rare?

Product labels can easily be done much more low key. They used to be. Identifying info can be stamped on as:

http://www.supergo.com/product_images/medium/50-0167.jpg

I'm slowly planning and collecting parts for my next bike now. So far I have nice silver standard (long) reach single pivot Shimano 105 calipers (Sheldon Brown's favorite), and a silver Oval Concepts seatpost that I rubbed all the paint logos off of. Parts that have low key or easily removable logos will definitely be a consideration when I select other parts. The frame will be easy because I'm planning to get something custom made that will fit the standard reach brakes. (The fillet brazed Jeff Lyon Rogue Special looks like it has almost all the details that I like, especially the seat cluster details. I'm also a fan of Tom Ritchey's fillet brazed frames, but Lyon is less expensive).

mokmu
01-16-2005, 10:40 AM
I didn't know these weren't available anymore. If anyone is interested I have a silver logo-less 1" CK no-thread set that I am not using. $100 shipped. PM me if your interested.
Michael

Ahneida Ride
01-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but if you don't like the logo, you don't have to buy the headset. They make it and have the right to put whatever logos on it that they choose. You have the right not to buy it. It's that simple.

Absolutely TRUE !

I also have every right to request a Logo free HS and the option to purchase
a competitor next time, which I will. CK does not want or appreciate customer
feedback ? Ben sure does !

Suppose Ben Said: "Do not adust the horizontal or vertical, I control the
decals are on your new frame." :butt:
Ben will sell you a naked bike.

Logos could also be introcuced in a discrete fashion, Not Screaming
KING KING KING KING KING KING KING KING KING KING KING KING KING !
How bout one small CK ? I'll accept that.

I also don't appreciate hearing Thompson nor Carradice. A black magic
marker does a great job on these two guys.

The only Logo that I really like is PHIL and that's hidden in the BB.

The HS is Mango. So just buffing it, won't solve the issue.

vaxn8r
01-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Absolutely TRUE !

I also have every right to request a Logo free HS and the option to purchase
a competitor next time, which I will. CK does not want or appreciate customer
feedback ? Ben sure does !

Suppose Ben Said: "Do not adust the horizontal or vertical, I control the
decals are on your new frame." :butt:
Ben will sell you a naked bike.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Lots of frame builders will let you delete decals. Name a component manufacturer that offers what you are asking?

Try a Campy HS. They may let you delete the decal. :rolleyes: Or then again, maybe not. Good luck getting it in mango too....

dirtdigger88
01-16-2005, 06:47 PM
no offence to Kurts bike but look back at my post on plastic surgery on my legend- Kurt posted pix of his bike with the un- logoed (sic?) King head set- to me something looks missing- it just looks kinda plain- but thats just me- tell me Ahneida how do you feel about Serottas reverse logos- they are sorta like having logos and not having them all at the same time.

jason

vaxn8r
01-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Well, I never heard of it before but I guess CK does/did make them sans logo
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6181

Good luck with your quest ahnieda.