PDA

View Full Version : colnago mtb-opinions

yeehawfactor
01-14-2005, 01:04 PM
what's the consensus on these? i'm thinking of something like this, assuming i can find my size. any suggestions for other interesting mtbs? thanks!

-patrick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22679&item=7127960213&rd=1

davids
01-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Umm... Do you want to ride it? Off road? Unless you've already got a full suspension and hardtail, I wouldn't want it. It seems like more of a curiosity or collectable than a bike I'd want to ride.

If you want to go riding, get a Santa Cruz Blur or Superlight. Get a Trek Fuel. A Klein Palomino. I think that Colnago belongs where it is - Hanging on a wall.

Of course, I could be wrong...

gdw
01-14-2005, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't buy it. Colnago is known for road bikes not mountain bikes. The seller doesn't tell you how old it is, what kind of tubing it is made from, or what the geometry is. He also fails to mention the make and model of the components that he is including. A number of the older boutique mountain bike frames from Italy have short top tubes and steeper geometry than what we now use. The frame might not have been designed for front suspension as well. If you want an exotic older frame buy one from the classic American builders like Fat Chance, Mountain Goat, Bontrager, Ritchey, Breezer, etc. They were made better than anything from Colnago and are very capable off road. If you want a bike to ride to the coffee shop, buy the Colnago.

coylifut
01-14-2005, 04:40 PM
get a Turner flux, Titus Racer X or a Ventanna El Saltmontes

Dr. Doofus
01-14-2005, 09:07 PM
you got me so mad patrick I'm using the first person, not him but the other guy, the guy who's first, and I ain't never been first, ever, so I should use like the fifth or sixth person, or more like the twenty-third-out-of-the-dang-money person...but anyway

stay away from that crap...geeesh...just buy a '84 Trans Am with a white stallion airbrushed on the side cause that's what that Colnago MTB is about like...so if you want to cruise around charlotte and go to caribou wearin mirrored sunglasses and hittin on high school chicks go ahead cause that's what that bike is good for....

get Ilan to get you a real bike

now shut up before I go up there and kick your butt sideways and make you listen to my crap while you guys perform some basic bit of bike maintenance that I effed all up on my 4000 dollar flipin bike that i don't ride worth a crap

so there

dirtdigger88
01-14-2005, 09:21 PM
I am going to have to agree- MTB is one end of the sport that Amercian invented- perfected- and understand. You might get beat up out on the trail riding that thing- not by the trail but by other riders- I just dont see someone out bashing the dirt on this- it may be a great bike- :confused: This is one end of the sport where Trek, Specialized et. al. have got the euros beat.

jason

Kane
01-15-2005, 03:05 AM
It's real old. I had a steel Ritchey (and a Bridgestone before that). After one ride on a SC Superlight I road the Ritchey one more time. After purchasing a Turner I sold the Superlight then next day. The ride on a well designed full suspension bike makes you a much better and safer rider. Who wants to get the crap beat out of you on every little bump that you hit?

The Colnago is a pos.

Kane

yeehawfactor
01-15-2005, 10:30 AM
you got me so mad patrick I'm using the first person, not him but the other guy, the guy who's first, and I ain't never been first, ever, so I should use like the fifth or sixth person, or more like the twenty-third-out-of-the-dang-money person...but anyway

stay away from that crap...geeesh...just buy a '84 Trans Am with a white stallion airbrushed on the side cause that's what that Colnago MTB is about like...so if you want to cruise around charlotte and go to caribou wearin mirrored sunglasses and hittin on high school chicks go ahead cause that's what that bike is good for....

get Ilan to get you a real bike

now shut up before I go up there and kick your butt sideways and make you listen to my crap while you guys perform some basic bit of bike maintenance that I effed all up on my 4000 dollar flipin bike that i don't ride worth a crap

so there
can i get a trans am with an eagle on the hood instead? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4518452491&category=6427) sorry, i guess i've just been listening to ilan too much; have you seen his list? there is some decent stuff on there. recent acquisitions include a spooky and a mountain goat. and for what it's worth, i enjoy listening to your crap more than any of our other deranged customers. get your merckx ready, as soon as ilan picks up an oldschool bike there's going to be a steel bike group ride!

thanks for everyone's input!

-patrick