PDA

View Full Version : New northeast hill climb races series . . .

BumbleBeeDave
07-10-2009, 06:16 AM
This sounds positively masochistic . . .

Where do I sign up? :banana:

http://www.velonews.com/article/94829/new-series-offers-northeast-mountain-goats-a-lofty-goal-or

BBD

benb
07-10-2009, 09:28 AM
The guy who is running it gave a little speech at the end of the Equinox race last year.

It sounds like fun. I tried Ascutney & Equinox last year as a way to do some hillclimbs without paying the outrageous price to do Mt. Washington.

I really liked the Equinox race. Lots of fun & they had a lunch afterwards similar to Mt. Washington.

Newton's Revenge & Mt. Washington being in it kind of kills any thought I would have entertained of trying to do the whole thing. $600 into Tin Mountain Conservation's pocket is too rich for me for 3 hours of racing.

I only hope this doesn't motivate more mountains to close their roads on normal days. Riding Ascutney for $3 for fun is really nice after hundreds for Mt. Washington.

BumbleBeeDave
07-10-2009, 09:32 AM
. . . for the first time a few weeks ago as part of a century. It is REALLY hard! But they have rebuilt both the north and south side roads so at least you don't have to worry about the potholes, frost heaves, etc. They have, however, put in rumble strips just before each hiker crossing. There's about a two foot gap on the outside of the lane, but you really have to be alert to the signs for the crossings. Miss the sign and RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-LE!

BBD

jbay
07-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Newton's Revenge & Mt. Washington being in it kind of kills any thought I would have entertained of trying to do the whole thing. You don't have to do either race to take part in the series. You can count points for a maximum of any five events. The points for Newton's and Washington are weighted, however, due to the Hors Categorie status, so it is potentially to your advantage to ride one or other.

-- John (off to do Newton's on tandem...)

ridethecliche
07-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I think my teams going to do a few rides up and down greylock next weekend. I've never been there, and I'm kind of dreading it.