PDA

View Full Version : BB30 bottom bracket ?

Kingfisher
07-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Just picked up a great deal on ebay, NOS, Cannondale, caad 7, w/bb30 bottom bracket, (description said it was custom painted and built for the Tour of Ireland, but never built up) for a 2nd bike

My question relates to the BB30 BB.....anyone have experience running this, am I restricted to certain cranks, BB's, etc.? I emailed the shop/seller about it and he said they make an adaptor that will allow conventional cranksets??

jeffinCT
07-09-2009, 10:26 AM
They do make an adapter you can get at a Cannondale dealer.

Acotts
07-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I say,

If you have a bb30, use a bb30 crank. Both the canondale SI and he FSA gossamer are fantastic cranks.

For the record, until I got my CAAD9, I was anti-fsa. I broke a K-Force crank a few years back and swore them off ever since. I almost didn't buy the bike because of that.

That said, I love the bb30 Gossamer. Its lightish, super stiff, and built like a tank. If you have some extra cash, then the Canondale si is great too.

I put safety and durability very, very high on my list of things i look for in bike parts. Well the $250 Gossammer gets A's in both categories.

The next bike I get will be bb30, and it will run a gossamer on it.

And frankly, the crankset is the last place i want to be messing with conversion kits. Just more stuff to go wrong.

-A

Jeff N.
07-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Pressed-in Bottom brackets of any kind would be a deal killer for me. But that's just me, of course. Jeff N.

Velociotis
07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
I just picked up a CAAD 9 CX frame with the insert already installed. I built it up with Shimano BB & cranks, no problem, works great.

I must admit that I secretly lust after the Cannondale SI cranks, if I find a good deal, I may convert back. Not because of any issues, just aesthetics.

Acotts
07-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I will admit I have no idea what the inserts are like or how they function.

They could be great.

I will, however, vouch for the Gossamer. It is a really good crank that has served this pedal masher well in about 15 races so far without making anything close to resembling a creaking sound. And I think they are sexy too.

I can see the appeal of the SI, though. Personally, I dont really trust all carbon cranks. I am 180 and I put down lots of watts. I try very hard to be smooth, but on the last lap when the going gets tough, I am just mean to bikes. I crash a bunch too.

I do like Basso's TT BB30 crank. It makes me feel funny down below.

alancw3
07-10-2009, 05:38 AM
i also have the bb30 on my six13. it has the original carbon crankset made by fsa for cannondale. at the time i would have preferred the insert with a dura ace crankset but after 15,000 miles with no problems i am sold on the bb30.

i did recently hear about an adapter made by an aftermarket company that allows one to use the dura ace crankset. this appears not to be the pressed/glued in sleeve that cannondale uses but adapters. not sure if it extends out the crank centerline though. anyway here is the likn:

http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/785/54/