PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever exercise before breakfast ???

Louis
01-13-2005, 11:02 PM
This is a question for all you “first thing in the morning before work” exercisers out there:

I am not at all a morning person, so any good ideas or hints would be appreciated.

About how long do you go? I’m going to try to shoot for 30 minutes, max.

Does caffeine help you? I would think that it would be tough on an empty stomach. I’m thinking water for hydration, but knowing how sluggish I am that early, I figure a dose of coffee might help.

I go nuts on rollers or a trainer, so I would most likely try this on my indoor rower (Concept II).

Thanks
Louis

dirtdigger88
01-13-2005, 11:16 PM
hey Louis-

this time of year I am on my rollers two mornings a week- I eat one plain waffle before hand- no coffee.

in the summer- I ride tuesday thru friday in the am- again one waffle (plain- and I mean plain) no coffee- my timer is set on the coffee pot so I have hot coffee when I get home-

I am sure I would do better with more food in me- but there just isn't time for me to digest it. I do eat well when i get home though- usually a couple more waffles (this time with butter and syrup- yum :) ) and a weight gainers shake. not that I need to gain weight, it just helps me not loose

jason

93legendti
01-14-2005, 12:02 AM
Only 2-3 days a week for 20-30 minutes when I am trying to drop a few pounds. If I do it on group ride nights it is really effective.

William
01-14-2005, 05:11 AM
I'm more of a morning person and have trained in the a.m. for years. If I'm going to go real hard and work the bag or lift, I might have a granola bar or something else light about a half hour to 45 minutes before starting. If I'm just doing a short piece say 20 - 30 min then I do that on no food and just drink water to hydrate.
It can be tough some times to get going but once you get into a routine it's not to hard. I'm also a coffee person but I'll wait on the caf.

I'll do my cycling later in the day. I also have a Concept II. Real easy to jump on in the am and bang out a short but intense training session.

William

Kevin
01-14-2005, 05:12 AM
I am on the trainer six day a week during winter. All of the sessions are before breakfast and last for an hour or less. I drink a bottle (32 oz) of sports drink while I am on the bike.

Kevin

92degrees
01-14-2005, 07:50 AM
an hour of weights in the morning before breakfast -- i do the trainer at night. in warmer weather i ride in the morning. i don't eat unless my stomach is growling and then it's a handful of almonds or a tablespoon of peanut butter and a small glass of milk.

dts
01-14-2005, 08:01 AM
An hour in the saddle daily, on the road unless wind or rain force me to another bike on a trainer. Start in total darkness and see the sun rise every day. Lots of strong black coffee to get me going. I think this works only because it's seven days a week. If it weren't routine, it wouldn't happen.

93legendti
01-14-2005, 08:52 AM
that's dedication!

hypnos
01-14-2005, 09:00 AM
During this time of year I ride the trainer in the basement for an hour. When riding in the morning before work, I drink a large glass of water before, as there is no time to digest. Usually ride from 4:30 - 5:30AM. Large bowl of cereal and skim milk immediately after. Works for me.

dirtdigger88
01-14-2005, 09:02 AM
An hour in the saddle daily, on the road unless wind or rain force me to another bike on a trainer. Start in total darkness and see the sun rise every day. Lots of strong black coffee to get me going. I think this works only because it's seven days a week. If it weren't routine, it wouldn't happen.

have you ever heard of rest days? they help

jason

MartyE
01-14-2005, 09:47 AM
4 or 5 days a week up at O'dark hundred for Roller sessions.
Coffee beforehand (sometimes during 1st 5 - 10 minutes) no
breakfast. Evening rides when weather/time permitting.

Marty

flydhest
01-14-2005, 10:37 AM
I am not a morning person at all. I have to work very hard to get myself into a routine, but if I do, then I can do some trainer/roller time in the a.m. and I do it before breakfast. I'm usually not trying to do any power stuff, just rolling for miles (that don't really count) and fat burning and cardio and fun. I have coffee, but no food. I don't recommend an empty stomach workout that lasts more than a half hour for people who are very well acquainted with their bodies and how they work. I've been a dumb jock my whole life, so I know the stages my body goes through, but I'm seen some people put themselves in a world of hurt for no good reason.

Coffee always helps. Recent research suggests that the diuretic effect of coffee exists largely for new coffee drinkers or people changing their consumption. So, if you're a regular coffee drinker, don't fret too much about that, but drink water as you normally would.

I have an espresso machine in the kitchen and can pull a shot in less than 60 seconds from having my foot hit the bottom step. It's a good thing and then you start thinking Italian thoughts. Always appropriate for the bike.

cdmc
01-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Not breakfast, but I usually have something small right when I get up, which gives me about 15-20 minutes before I ride. My two choices are normally a yogurt or a breakfast bar. I find it helps take the edge off. BTW, my normal morning rides are 30 minutes to 1 hour. If I am doing a longer weekend ride, I try to eat a bit more and take a granola bar for during the ride.

dsimon
01-14-2005, 11:42 AM
EVERY MORNING im in the army so breakfast at 530am then usually between a 3-5.5 mile run hmmmm no ill just wait till i get home at 830..... :D

spiderman
01-14-2005, 11:45 AM
i'm up early making breakfast for the clan:
we rotate swedish pancakes, soft boiled eggs/bacon and hot cereal...
i spin 20-60 minutes at noon on rollers (kreitlers)
and after work several times a week (on the big yankee rollers)
for twenty minutes when my wife wants to ride on her trainer...

...on the weekend i spin on the rollers (in winter) for 25 miles
after eating a banana and/or a kringla...while the coffee timer is set.
after a liter of water, while sipping coffee i then brew my wife a latte
and make myself a double macchiato with the left over froth.
then i do my daily yoga stretching, read some scripture
and write some poety
by candlelight...

...i know, i know TMI...

davids
01-14-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm almost exclusively a morning exerciser. On weekdays, I'm up and out (summer)/down (winter) several mornings a week. I find that all I can handle in my stomach at that time is water. The few times I've had coffee before those rides, I've regretted it.

On the weekends, I'll usually be up for an hour or so before hitting the road or woods. With more time, I'll definitely have my coffee, and sometimes some carbs & protien (cereal & soy milk, granola bar, or toast...)

My weekday morning rides are 70-90 minutes (6:15 - 8:00), but I can only stand the trainer for 30 (6:00 - 6:30.) During the school year, my family obligations begin at 6:30. Weekend rides go from 2-4 hours. Again, they're longer in the summer.

Parenthood forced me to become a morning person, and now I treasure my mornings on a bike, whether it's a quiet suburban road before morning rush hour, or seeing the winter sun sparkling through the trees in the woods.

davep
01-14-2005, 12:33 PM
I ride almost exclusively early morning. Normal weekday ride is up around 5:30 and out the door by 5:45 for 1 - 2 hours. No food, just some water before I leave the house and water on the bike. Coffee when I get back. On weekends, if I'm planning on riding longer that 2 hours I'll have breakfast - oatmeal, bagel, banana. Sometimes coffee, but not usually until after the ride.

Tom
01-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Daylight months: 1.5-2 hours 4 or 5 weekdays. Weekends I may or may not ride very early, it depends what's going on. I more than likely ride later in the day.

Dark months: 1-1.5 hours on the trainer 4-5 days a week. 1-2 hours both weekend days, generally before eating.

Water for rides < 3 hours.

Before riding, almost as a rule I drink two cups of strong brewed coffee. I need time to wake up and remember the failures of my life that have brought me to this point. When suitably depressed and angry I get on the bike to relieve my mood. I eat when I get back, maybe a bowl of cereal, maybe some fruit and a power bar, maybe whatever leftovers are in the fridge that haven't turned green since being put away.

the walrus
01-14-2005, 03:50 PM
none of your business.

Clay
01-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Just a bottle of PowerBar Endurance for the electrolytes and a glycogen boost. I usually train at 5AM. Later rides I eat a good balanced meal with carbs and protein the balance varies depending upon the energy required for the type of training ride.

Keith A
01-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Almost all my riding are early morning events. During the week, I'm usually out the door by 6ish all year long and will ride between 1.5 to 2 hours. I typically eat an apple (or sometimes a banana or bagel) on the bike as I warm up and only drink water during the ride.

Saturday is my group ride and I leave by 7:30am to meet the group. This is a longer hard ride and I get in 60 miles in less than 3 hours. I eat a bowl of oatmeal before I leave and an apple on the way to the group. During the ride I have at least one Gu gel and drink water and Accelerade. After the ride, I drink Endurox and eat whatever is in site :D