PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Freedom's progress

torquer
07-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Yankee Stadium Won't Stop Potty Trips In 7th Inning Stretch

heathbrandon's Flickr
Two uniformed cops who ejected a Red Sox fan from Yankee Stadium last summer when he tried to use the bathroom during "God Bless America" have cost NYC taxpayers some $20,000 in settlement money. But the good news is that Yankee Stadium will now allow attendees relieve themselves during the Seventh Inning stretch! You'll recall that last August, one Brad Campeau-Laurion refused to obey an NYPD officer who ordered him back to his seat when he tried to use the bathroom as "God Bless America" played. According to Campeau-Laurion, two officers then forcefully threw him out, with one of the officers telling him to "leave the country if he didn’t like it." In the wake of 9/11, Yankee stadium began requiring spectators to remain in their seats during patriotic songs, in some cases extending chains to block the ends of the aisles. But after a lawsuit filed by the NYCLU over "enforced patriotism," a settlement was reached yesterday whereby Campeau-Laurion gets $10,001 from the city, the NYCLU gets $12,000 for legal fees, and baseball fans are granted the liberty to micturate at will.

http://gothamist.com/index3.php

I'll save you the bother of looking it up: it means what you think it does.

Bonus cycling content: check out the comments; one of them links the Stadium cops' behavior to the You-tube Critical Mass rider mugging Fiamme Red recently brought us up to date on in another thread.

fiamme red
07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Here's a direct link: http://gothamist.com/2009/07/07/yankee_stadium_will_permit_bathroom.php

I haven't been to a baseball game since 9/11. Is "God Bless America" now de rigueur during the 7th inning stretch? It used to be "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

goonster
07-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Depends.

At Wrigley Field, various demi-celebrities still murder TMOTTB in honor of Harry Carey, I think.

At other ballparks, 'America the Beautiful'* was sung in the 7th inning stretch.

This Yankee stadium thing, if it really went down as described, is truly horrendous.

(* = Should replace the 'Star Spangled Banner' imho, and has NYC connection)

Ozz
07-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Depends.

At Wrigley Field, various demi-celebrities still murder TMOTTB in honor of Harry Carey, I think.)

That is the tradition at Safeco Field as well....

This Yankee stadium thing, if it really went down as described, is truly horrendous.
+1