PDA

View Full Version : Class act

David Kirk
07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Carlos Sastre is proving to be a class act and Armstrong did a good thing.

From Velonews article about Armstrong talking **** about last years Tour -

Before this Tour started, Sastre was asked what he thought of Armstrong’s comments.

“It’s his point of view, his words, his life. I’m not interested in anything about that. I think he’s a great champion, he won seven Tours, the world championship, he’s a great rider,” Sastre said. “But behind every rider must be a person, and in that respect, maybe he needs to learn something more.”

The full article - http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/94704/armstrong-apologizes-to-carlos-sastre

Nice to see,

Dave

shinomaster
07-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm glad Lance had the ball to apologize.

e-RICHIE
07-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm glad Lance had the ball to apologize.
it's like the start of a long list of apologies atmo.

David Kirk
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM

The first one is the hardest.

dave

e-RICHIE
07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
The first one is the hardest.

dave

ps i meant to post -
it's likely the start of a long list of apologies atmo.

David Kirk
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
ps i meant to post -

That's how I took it.

It's got to start somewhere eh?

He hasn't called me yet. You?

dave

William
07-08-2009, 03:15 PM
It's easier to apologize when you're not on top...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/800px-MacTakumiKOS.JPG/250px-800px-MacTakumiKOS.JPG

Just sayin'

William

e-RICHIE
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
It's easier to apologize when you're not on top...

http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/bannister/8/renzo1.jpg

Just sayin'

William

from what i read he still manages to climb on top every so often atmo.

allegretto
07-08-2009, 03:19 PM
finishing fifth in TdF is a joke???????

even if it's Lance, that's BS, BIG BS

William
07-08-2009, 03:20 PM
from what i read he still manages to climb on top every so often atmo.

Now that's something to get excited about.....more so then the weather.

http://www.ratemyeverything.net/image/8358/0/News_Anchor_Weather_Time.ashx

William :)

David Kirk
07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Now that's something to get excited about.....more so then the weather.

http://www.ratemyeverything.net/image/8358/0/News_Anchor_Weather_Time.ashx

William :)

Now there is someone who really likes Ohio.

dave

mef
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM

"My name is Earl" Armstrong.

mister
07-08-2009, 04:00 PM
haha ^

mosca
07-08-2009, 05:01 PM
That's how I took it.

It's got to start somewhere eh?

He hasn't called me yet. You?

daveYou may have to insist. A little something called STEP NINE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eaUXkicnXQ)

BumbleBeeDave
07-08-2009, 08:09 PM
. . . to mitigate the bad PR. He probably knew he should do it. He's too smart and too calculating to not know. The only question in my mind is if he went ahead and did it on his own or if PR types really put the pressure on him to do it. If he ever does want to go into politics--as has been rumored--then he needs to get a lot smarter. Doing stuff like shooting his mouth off about Sastre and CVDV like he did will get him eaten alive in Texas politics, and an "I'm sorry" won't help him there.

BBD

jlwdm
07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
All we allow anymore is the politically correct answer - boring. Questions are asked of athletes and politicians and there is a pause before the answer - thinking about the politically correct answer.

I wish we would let people say what they think without crucifying them if it is not politically correct. Definitely some truth in what Armstrong said about Sastre and CVD. Although I thought Sastre looked better in the Giro this year. He might have some new confidence from winning the Tour.

Jeff

e-RICHIE
07-08-2009, 09:14 PM
. . . to mitigate the bad PR. He probably knew he should do it. He's too smart and too calculating to not know. The only question in my mind is if he went ahead and did it on his own or if PR types really put the pressure on him to do it. If he ever does want to go into politics--as has been rumored--then he needs to get a lot smarter. Doing stuff like shooting his mouth off about Sastre and CVDV like he did will get him eaten alive in Texas politics, and an "I'm sorry" won't help him there.

BBD

he didn't fire the salvo in an evening news soundbite atmo.
it was taken from conversation that crept into wilcockson's
biog, no? there was plenty of time to temper his words and
even restate them for the book. he only apologized since he's
back in the fray and among the regulars, of which he is no
longer one atmo. heaven's forbid that he'd finish as poorly
as vdv in 09 after all of the posturing. some smart guy prolly
told him to man up and speak about it lest he begin tanking
on gc atmo. hey - thanks for reading.

ps

arrange disorder

;) ;) ;)
;) ;) ;)
;) ;) :p

nobrakes
07-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Lance and Frankie A. are back to bein' buds again.

BumbleBeeDave
07-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Lance and Frankie A. are back to bein' buds again.

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/94723/armstrong-andreu-back-on-speaking-terms

According to the story, Lance specifically asked that Andreu be assigned to interview him . . .

Andreu told VeloNews he was surprised when Versus producers on site in Monaco informed him that Astana had requested he conduct interviews with Armstrong and the team, which is managed by Andreu’s former boss and close Armstrong friend Johan Bruyneel.

“I got a phone call Saturday morning that I’m on the Astana detail and in charge of interviewing Lance and the rest of the team,” Andreu said. “I was definitely surprised and shocked by it. They told me Astana had called over and requested it. I didn’t understand why or what was going on, but Versus said to go over and do it.”

Asked about the decision to mend the proverbial fence with Andreu, Armstrong said, “I don’t have a problem with Frankie. He’s an old teammate; he’s an old friend. Obviously more is made out of the weirdness… but for me it’s not a problem. If he comes up, I’m not going to say ‘I’m not talking to you.’”

I would like to believe the best about Lance, but previous history makes that very difficult.

This also comes across as both a shrewd and cynical PR move by Lance and an ego exercise all thrown into one. If Frankie says, "Hell, no, I'm not talking to him" he probably gets fired from his Versus gig. If he does follow orders and interview him, which he did, you can bet that Lance is enjoying being able to shove his success in Frankie's face. He wouldn't have to say a word about it--it's a given. The interview situation itself puts Frankie in a subservient role, dependent on kissing Lance's ass no matter what Lance says. You can also bet that Frankie is not going to admit that having to talk to Lance was like getting a colonoscopy with no anesthesia. His pride won't let him.

Very shrewd, very calculating by Lance. Bullying and head games combined with brilliant PR. Now I'm open to the possibility that Lance might actually really want to mend fences with Frankie and have meant this in honest friendship. But his previous behavior in so many situations makes it so unlikely to me . . .

BBD

Climb01742
07-09-2009, 07:25 AM
watching lance's face while frankie asked him questions...well, it didn't look like one old bud talking to another.

jlwdm
07-09-2009, 07:58 AM
It is amazing after all of these years that Frankie still can't ask a proper question. He likes to suggest the answer in every question. Never understood how he kept this gig.

Jeff

BumbleBeeDave
07-09-2009, 08:09 AM
It is amazing after all of these years that Frankie still can't ask a proper question. He likes to suggest the answer in every question. Never understood how he kept this gig.

Jeff

. . . but I would not make any judgments about Andreu based on this interview. He was probably doing his best to not grab Lance and strangle him. :rolleyes:

BBD

e-RICHIE
07-09-2009, 08:15 AM
. . . but I would not make any judgments about Andreu based on this interview. He was probably doing his best to not grab Lance and strangle him. :rolleyes:

BBD

he's not at the front of the line for that yet atmo.

jchasse
07-09-2009, 08:18 AM
finishing fifth in TdF is a joke???????

even if it's Lance, that's BS, BIG BS

hmmm...i took the VdV comment to be a slam against Christian, as in "he's a nice guy, but if he could finish in the top 5, the Tour had to be a joke"

William
07-09-2009, 08:27 AM
he's not at the front of the line for that yet atmo.

Hey Frankie!! No cuts!! Get to the end of the line.... :butt:

http://blog.taiwan-guide.org/wp-content/uploads/car-free-day-line-up.jpg

:rolleyes: ;)

William

Keith A
07-09-2009, 08:58 AM
. . .
Nice to see,

DaveI agree. Whether or not there was some PR reasons behind it or not, it was a good thing to do...especially going directly to CS and apologizing in person.

jlwdm
07-09-2009, 09:14 AM

BBD

BBD

I mean every interview Frankie has ever done with anybody on the tour broadcasts.

Jeff

BumbleBeeDave
07-09-2009, 10:50 AM
BBD

I mean every interview Frankie has ever done with anybody on the tour broadcasts.

Jeff

He's obviously there because of his connections in the sport rather than his interview skills.

BBD

dave thompson
07-09-2009, 10:56 AM
He's obviously there because of his connections in the sport rather than his interview skills.

BBD
That's for sure, Frankie needs some serious schooling on interviewing techniques. He's got some great cycling palmares but when you stick a mike in his hand, it all goes down the tubes.

Lance Armstrong
07-09-2009, 12:07 PM
For what? for being myself? no way!!!!

BumbleBeeDave
07-09-2009, 12:28 PM
For what? for being myself? no way!!!!

. . . twittering or something right now? :p

BBD

shinomaster
07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
ps i meant to post -

I'm sorry ATMO.

BumbleBeeDave
07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm sorry ATMO.

. . . that you're sorry!

BBD