PDA

View Full Version : 'go to' women's saddles?

fierte_poser
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
For men, it seems like the go to saddles of choice are the Arione and the Aliante.

What about for women?

I ask because we just bought a bike for my girlfriend and I think the saddle that it came with is junk.

Further, any online shops offer women's saddles for demo?

Thanks,
Kent

shinomaster
07-08-2009, 01:47 PM
My girlfriend likes my arione more than the fizik vitesse I bought her...She is skinny with narrow hips however..

MtnBikerChk
07-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I recently had my sit bones measured at the LBS with the Bontrager "assometer" as they affectionately call it. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Having said that, now I have a Bontrager saddle - and about 80 miles on it and so far so good!

goonster
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
sit bones measured at the LBS with the Bontrager "assometer"
Let me guess . . . it told you to buy a Bontrager saddle! :rolleyes:

Chez nous, it is the Brooks Pro S.

sc53
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Terry Butterfly.

MtnBikerChk
07-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Let me guess . . . it told you to buy a Bontrager saddle! :rolleyes:

Chez nous, it is the Brooks Pro S.

uh, yeah, hence the "Having said that, now I have a Bontrager saddle." 100% money back guarantee why wouldn't I try one?

let me guess goonster, not a woman? :rolleyes:

FYI lots of women love the Terry butterfly and probably is the "go to" saddle but for me it was too wide and had rounded edges rather than flat. Selle Italia lady Trans Am was a similar saddle to the Terry but a little less wide. The cutout doesn't really help and on some women it makes it worse.

I had a Vitesse for years on my MTB and I loved it but it did not work well for me on my roadie.

Terry also offers a money back guarantee.

Smiley
07-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Terry Butterfly.

A Terry Butterfly is my default saddle for all my women bike fits, a second chocie is a Koobi a name you hear little of lately. And womens Brooks saddle have worked well for my women clients too.

SoCalSteve
07-08-2009, 03:01 PM
My wife has found the Specialized "womens specific" saddle to work really well for her.

flydhest
07-08-2009, 03:50 PM
koobi AU Enduro

capybaras
07-08-2009, 03:51 PM
avocet o2

fiamme red
07-08-2009, 03:54 PM
avocet o2No longer made, I think. Does Avocet still exist?

Ti Designs
07-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Having just posted that non climbers probably shouldn't be giving climbing advice, I probably shouldn't give advice on women's saddles. Then again, I've probably put as many woman on saddles they like as anyone else here, so here goes.

I have two go-to saddles. The Specialized Jett and the Terry Butterfly. In the past two years I don't think I've had one woman like them both. The Jett is the sit bone saddle, the terry is more padded with the cut-out.

So there you have it, sweeping generalizations about women's saddles. Has anyone found the ass-o-meter to be of any help at all? Both Specialized and Trek have versions, they both have instructions with pictures of riders on the bike, and they base the width on your torso angle. So, either you're folded in half or bolt upright, or it tells you to use the 143 (in Specialized's case). I'm still waiting for the digital ass-o-meter with the overhead display...

Truth be told, I sell more Terry Fly saddles to women than Butterflys. I also sell far more's Toupe saddles than Jetts. You really can't see the pink accents on the saddle once you're sitting on it... But in the end it comes down to what works well for you...

rphetteplace
07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
my chicka just tried out about 20 saddles last week decided the fizik vitesse cp worked best by a mile

tab123
07-08-2009, 06:30 PM
For women finding the right saddle is about so much more than worrying about sit bone pain. Until I found the right saddle, I wished I had sit bone pain instead of the "soft tissue" (lovely phrase, ha?) problems I had.

Check out the many discussions on the Team Estrogen forum for help on finding the right saddle for women.

I tried at least 20 different saddles (maybe not as many as SoCalSteve) before finding the right one (SSM Mantra). One suggestion: do not get hung up on finding a women-specific saddle. Some of those were the most painful for me.

zip
07-08-2009, 06:43 PM
My favorite saddle is a carbon rail flite. I like it so much I even had my husband recover with new leather after I wore it out.

Karin Kirk
07-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I've had great luck with the Flites too and have owned several. I agree with others that a women's specific saddle won't necessarily do the trick. I don't think there is any substitute for just trying them until you find one that's right.

I will say that women's saddles have improved lately. In the past they were just wide, and were terrifically uncomfortable. Now they come in nice narrow shapes so there are some better options for women who are not necessarily wide-bodied!

shinomaster
07-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Karin, that's good to know. I haven't let her try my flight yet, and I feel it's way more comfy than an Arione.