PDA

View Full Version : iPod: to do or not to do?

DesertJack
07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I've been riding a bike for many years and have been an audiophile listening critically to music for even longer. To date; the two loves never crossed paths. One activity required sweating and spreading my attention over a 360 degree area, the other required sitting in semi-darkness and focusing aurally on the sounds coming out of my speakers.

I am at this late stage in life trying to be less the luddite and to take more advantage of the tech-opportunities this gadget rich world is offering.

Enter the iPod. I see lots of folks grooving around with wires hanging from their ears. I see them walking on the street, jogging, driving, and ...... riding bicycles.

I have always believed that using all the senses - hearing very importantly among them - while riding a bike was basic safety protocol.

That said, the idea of listening while riding is becoming more appealing. Some Miles or Louie the B while aimlessly gathering miles might be nice indeed.

So, what are the thoughts out there? Pros/Cons? Any of you folks ride plugged in? Words of wisdom? I have the common sense not to do it when in a high-risk area (city streets) but a lot of my riding is on rural roads and open desert where cars are less common (but do travel at high-speed and dont always "respect" the bicyclist).

thanks all
cheers
Jack

avalonracing
07-08-2009, 01:06 PM
When riding how many times do you hear a car coming up on you before it passes you? If you answer "Never" then go ahead and use the iPod while riding.

I would say I hear the car behind me 99% of the time (it use to be 100% until the Toyota Prius came out). I love music and I have iPods and and iPhone and I would never think about riding with them.

fiamme red
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Louie the BWho's that?

It makes a difference whether you're using a mirror. Then you can see cars approaching from behind you without relying on your ears. Of course, you still need to be extra-cautious at intersections.

sc53
07-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Having both vices myself (audiophilia and bikomania), I understand your curiousity. But keep the iPod for your car or stationary trainer or gym workout. I would never ride plugged into an iPod or anything else. You NEED your sense of hearing to be safe(r) on a ride. Don't deprive yourself of a vital resource in making sure you arrive home safely after a ride.

Ozz
07-08-2009, 01:13 PM
...I have always believed that using all the senses - hearing very importantly among them - while riding a bike was basic safety protocol....
and that pretty much sums it up....if you want to ride....ride....if you want to listen to music....listen to music.

The ipod people rank right up there with the inline skaters and aerobars-on-bike-path people....their so into "their experience" they forget about the safety of others.

imho....

:beer:

thwart
07-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Just started doing some training rides with my 20 year old daughter, who is accustomed to exercising/running always with an iPod. Told her it was just unsafe to do that on a road bike---even at low volume---and probably while riding trails as well.

She griped a bit the first day, but after having a few rural miles/car encounters I heard nothing further...

mpetry
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I think having earbuds on blocks out many important cues about what's happening around you.

About the only time I'd wear 'phones is if I was riding an "event" like the Furnace Creek 508 or RAAM or something like that. For riding "in the wild" I would not wear them. Just not safe in my opinion.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

David Kirk
07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Just say no.

Dave

92degrees
07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I use an ipod for about half my rides. With or without it I ride as if a car is in my blind spot. In the past 30K mi I can't say I've ever been surprised by a car because I was plugged in.

rwsaunders
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I save my IPod for the indoors work and airplanes. It's tough enough dealing with cars, squirrels, deer and joggers, let alone riding while grooving to the Greatest Hits of Kool and the Gang.

Bruce K
07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
I believe it is illegal in most states to drive with an iPod in and since bicycles are subject to most traffic laws it would probably be the same for us.

So, beyond the stated reasons above it is conceivable that you could be deemed negligent in an accident where you didn't hear the approaching vehicle or worse, a pedestrian or overtaking cyclist.

For me, part of riding the the sensory input from wind, tires, chain, heartbeat, breathing, nature, etc. I wouldn't mess with that for ANY ride.

BK

WadePatton
07-08-2009, 01:53 PM
or, try it where the cars aren't. in the woods and such.

but then i don't ever. going to get one for the shopmo.

92degrees
07-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I believe it is illegal in most states to drive with an iPod in

Really? I would wager that 2/3 of the drivers I see out here have earphones in. I work around 5 college campuses, though. Then again, I can't remember the last time I saw a police officer driving or on a detail at the side of the road without a cell phone to their ear. I say that with respect, it's just a sincere observation.

This thread interests me because everyone says "not me, never" but everyone I see riding is plugged in...and I'm not talking about wannabes on hybrids. Maybe it's geographical.

GuyGadois
07-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I'll go against the stream on this one. I use an iPod while riding but only on the non-street side ear. I don't wear it in groups or in trafficy areas but I ride mostly in coutryside and I couldn't hear a mtn. lion coming up anyway. I usually have it fairly soft and can hear any traffic as the traffic side, the left, is not used. I may just be used to it but I hear the cars just fine.

It is illegal if earphones are in both ears in CA (otherwise, every one of the bluetooth ear pieces would be illegal)

-GG-

mandasol
07-08-2009, 01:58 PM
When I run I get really bored and have to have my music, but there is no way I'd ride with headphones while I'm riding.

Chris
07-08-2009, 02:00 PM
I use one on every ride except group rides. Getting ready to head out for four hours on the bike in a minute. I have always listened to music (but now I can listen to podcasts too with the iPod). I've been riding for 25 years and never had an encounter with a vehicle because I was listening to music. I have turned around and gone home when the batteries died unexpectedly though...

Matt-H
07-08-2009, 02:07 PM
The sounds associated with riding, to me, are an important part of the experience. Ear buds (even one) would result in a disconnect from that experience.

Ken C
07-08-2009, 02:33 PM
To play the contrarian:

When I ride on the street I ride as far to the right as I can safely. When a car approaches I don't change the way I ride, I just continue to ride straight, as far to the right as possible. How is hearing a car coming behind you really improve safety?

Many of the non-music agruments are that you can't hear cars comming. What do you do when they approach? If you are riding as far to the right as possible, you will not be able to go any further right.

Plus the sound of a car that is about to hit you is the same as a car that is about to pass you. If you are constantly looking back at every car you are not paying attention to the road ahead of you.

I do wear an I-pod while riding, but I ride alone. I would never wear one while riding with others, but I don't feel that my safety is greatly reduced. Sometimes I ride without one to enjoy the slicene as well.

Ken

rugbysecondrow
07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Resist the temptation. It can be dangerous to you and others around you since you are since you will be removing one of your most important senses.

The last triathlon I was in, some douchebag was wearing his earbuds while riding. As I was passing him, I kept hollering out "on your left!" and he never moved over. Once I got up next to him, that is when I saw the ear buds and wires, he never saw me or heard me. That made it a dangerous situation for me, which certainly would have made it a dangerous situation for him if he would have swerved into me.

palincss
07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I have always believed that using all the senses - hearing very importantly among them - while riding a bike was basic safety protocol.

And you've always been right. 100% exactly correct.

That said, the idea of listening while riding is becoming more appealing. Some Miles or Louie the B while aimlessly gathering miles might be nice indeed.

And stupid, too, for all the reasons you already know. People do all sorts of stupid stuff. Text while driving cars and Metro trains, for christ sake. It seems appealing. It's still stupid.

William
07-08-2009, 02:45 PM
I've been riding a bike for many years and have been an audiophile listening critically to music for even longer. To date; the two loves never crossed paths. One activity required sweating and spreading my attention over a 360 degree area, the other required sitting in semi-darkness and focusing aurally on the sounds coming out of my speakers.

I am at this late stage in life trying to be less the luddite and to take more advantage of the tech-opportunities this gadget rich world is offering.

Enter the iPod. I see lots of folks grooving around with wires hanging from their ears. I see them walking on the street, jogging, driving, and ...... riding bicycles.

So, what are the thoughts out there? Pros/Cons? Any of you folks ride plugged in? Words of wisdom? I have the common sense not to do it when in a high-risk area (city streets) but a lot of my riding is on rural roads and open desert where cars are less common (but do travel at high-speed and dont always "respect" the bicyclist).

thanks all
cheers
Jack

If I were a bad guy, I would have a field day with all the people who are wired walking and running around tuned out and oblivious to their surroundings. :no:

That being said, I like to know what's going on around me utilizing all my senses, especially walking and riding. I prefer the sounds of the wind, the hum of my tires on the pavement, the tick of the hub when coasting, the light sound of the chain running though the cluster, nature, and hearing the sounds of vehicles coming up behind me. I would suggest skipping it but ultimately you are responsible for you. Either way, safe and happing riding to you. :)

William

Dave
07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I love my Ipod, but would never wear it while driving or riding a bike. You need to be able to hear cars and sounds like a tire going flat quickly. I hate it when I ride up to someone and try to start a conversation, only to find that they are plugged in and tuned out. I'm just now beginning to look for the ear buds before speaking to another rider. If the ear buds are in, I ignore the rider and go on by.

CaliFly
07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I tried this for a few months and found it to be a reasonable solution. Then I got lost in Queen's "Under Pressure", blew a stop sign and nearly got myself t-boned by a monstrosity of a pickup truck whose driver was hopped up on energy drinks and blasting Tool's Greatest Hit album.

Never again.

Just sayin'.

I'll go against the stream on this one. I use an iPod while riding but only on the non-street side ear. I don't wear it in groups or in trafficy areas but I ride mostly in coutryside and I couldn't hear a mtn. lion coming up anyway. I usually have it fairly soft and can hear any traffic as the traffic side, the left, is not used. I may just be used to it but I hear the cars just fine.

-GG-

SoCalSteve
07-08-2009, 02:56 PM
To play the contrarian:

When I ride on the street I ride as far to the right as I can safely. When a car approaches I don't change the way I ride, I just continue to ride straight, as far to the right as possible. How is hearing a car coming behind you really improve safety?

Many of the non-music agruments are that you can't hear cars comming. What do you do when they approach? If you are riding as far to the right as possible, you will not be able to go any further right.

Plus the sound of a car that is about to hit you is the same as a car that is about to pass you. If you are constantly looking back at every car you are not paying attention to the road ahead of you.

I do wear an I-pod while riding, but I ride alone. I would never wear one while riding with others, but I don't feel that my safety is greatly reduced. Sometimes I ride without one to enjoy the slicene as well.

Ken

I find all these points very valid and I do use an ipod when I ride (on the streets of Los Angeles, no less).

This has come up so many times on this Forum and we are always divided on this issue....Oh, and most other issues as well.

Just sayin'

Steve

David Kirk
07-08-2009, 03:11 PM
To play the contrarian:

Many of the non-music agruments are that you can't hear cars comming. What do you do when they approach? If you are riding as far to the right as possible, you will not be able to go any further right. ..................

Ken

I understand and disagree.

It sounds different to me most of the time. When a car drifts onto the shoulder it runs over the gravel and crap we get to ride through and makes a different sound. If I hear this noise I get hyper-aware. I look over my shoulder at almost every car that comes by me and I'm sure it's saved my life in the past and might again one day.

The other part of your statement implies that if you are all the way right on the shoulder then there is nothing more one can do. I've ridden off into the ditch or someone's lawn more than once and even had to dive over a guard rail once to avoid getting hit. If someone drifts onto the shoulder while texting and listening to their Ipod I'm not going to let them run up my backside just because I'm out of pavement or because I've got the Ramones "Beat on the Brat" playing at 11 in my ear.

dave

RaleighComp
07-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I commute in Boston, 100 miles per week, year round, all of it with an iPod. Any ride I do alone, I also use one. I actually believe I hear road noise *better* with an iPod, here's why:

1. Shape of earphones. I use clip-over-the-ear earphones(separate, connected by a retractable wire running behind), instead of buds. My experience is that the large sponge earpads let in road noise while the ample shape of the earphones diverts wind noise. If you don't believe me get a pair and try them on and off, skip the music completely. I can absolutely hear road noise better with my headphones on, than off. This only applies below 30mph or so. Above 30mph I actually pause my iPod because I can't hear it over the wind noise.

2. I listen to, almost exclusively, podcasts. I find that the spoken word does not fall in the same frequency range as the majority of road sounds, so the high squeals and low rumbles easily make their way in. I use a mirror but usually hear an approaching vehicle before I see it, unless I'm on a very straight stretch of road where, of course, I can see it first if I happen to look before I hear it.

The only time I find it difficult to hear something is when I'm at a stop and another cyclist pulls up and says something. I can hear their words, I just might miss one or two. I pause my iPod shuffle and politely say, "Excuse me?".

Just my $0.02

Ken C
07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I understand and disagree.

It sounds different to me most of the time. When a car drifts onto the shoulder it runs over the gravel and crap we get to ride through and makes a different sound. If I hear this noise I get hyper-aware. I look over my shoulder at almost every car that comes by me and I'm sure it's saved my life in the past and might again one day.

The other part of your statement implies that if you are all the way right on the shoulder then there is nothing more one can do. I've ridden off into the ditch or someone's lawn more than once and even had to dive over a guard rail once to avoid getting hit. If someone drifts onto the shoulder while texting and listening to their Ipod I'm not going to let them run up my backside just because I'm out of pavement or because I've got the Ramones "Beat on the Brat" playing at 11 in my ear.

dave

Good points, perhaps I have just been lucky.

DesertJack
07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
thanks to all for the validation of "what one already knows but wishes he did not". I am about to plunk down a couple hundred dollars for this toy and I am trying to rationalize why in the hell I want it. I just got back from the store that sells the things. I came home empty handed. I am really (very atypically) torturing over this purchase. Which one... the iPod Classic or the Nano? How to carry it when doing something athletic? What happens if it gets sweaty? Do I also want one of the goofy arm band carriers? WHich unit has the best sound? I've read lots of websites for answers, and of course, they contradict each other on the data points I am most interested in. I dont remember being so conflicted about a purchase before (not even when I made the leap from Shimano to Campy some 10 odd years ago).

and flamme red: "Louie the B" = LvB (Beethoven). Sorry for my lame attempt at cuteness. LvB is (was) the man, the sharp end of the music stick. If Jimmy H were alive in 1825 and jammin' in Vienna he would have written a "Grosse Fugue".

cheers all
Jack

regards
Jack

vqdriver
07-08-2009, 04:43 PM
use the curbside earphone only and be aware in all directions. sound quality might not be what you're used to, but you'll be fine and you won't die taking all of us with you.

the key, like in all things, is to use common sense and be conscious of your changing surroundings. like if you pop out of a side street into some traffic, it really is better to anticipate that and go sans earphones until you can get back onto some country road. and of course, don't mess with the device on the bike. just pull over to change playlists or something. also, try to find a pair of headphones with an in-line volume adjustment.

+1 on the podcasts. the rhythm of whatever music i listen to never seems to match my effort or state of mind on the bike anyway. i LOVE podcasts and i don't get so 'into the music' that i completely tune out of what i'm doing.

SoCalSteve
07-08-2009, 04:51 PM
thanks to all for the validation of "what one already knows but wishes he did not". I am about to plunk down a couple hundred dollars for this toy and I am trying to rationalize why in the hell I want it. I just got back from the store that sells the things. I came home empty handed. I am really (very atypically) torturing over this purchase. Which one... the iPod Classic or the Nano? How to carry it when doing something athletic? What happens if it gets sweaty? Do I also want one of the goofy arm band carriers? WHich unit has the best sound? I've read lots of websites for answers, and of course, they contradict each other on the data points I am most interested in. I dont remember being so conflicted about a purchase before (not even when I made the leap from Shimano to Campy some 10 odd years ago).

and flamme red: "Louie the B" = LvB (Beethoven). Sorry for my lame attempt at cuteness. LvB is (was) the man, the sharp end of the music stick. If Jimmy H were alive in 1825 and jammin' in Vienna he would have written a "Grosse Fugue".

cheers all
Jack

regards
Jack

16 Gig Nano, XTremeMac arm band, VModa ear buds

The ear buds that come with the ipod are actually pretty good sounding, but they are prone to not working well when wet and they do not block much wind...

Better choice is a noise cancelling-more sports oriented unit, but you will give up a bit on sound quality...But honestly...when I am riding, its more about the beat than the sound quality.

Good luck!

hokoman
07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I use an ipod sometimes, but I wrap one of the earbuds to my helmet strap and only put one earbud in. The wind noise is much louder than my music and I know it does not compromise my riding. If I'm not mistaken, having both ears covered is against the law in CA, but nobody actually enforces it. :cool:

SoCalSteve
07-08-2009, 04:57 PM
I use an ipod sometimes, but I wrap one of the earbuds to my helmet strap and only put one earbud in. The wind noise is much louder than my music and I know it does not compromise my riding. If I'm not mistaken, having both ears covered is against the law in CA, but nobody actually enforces it. :cool:

I would hope that law enforcement would be out trying apprehend real criminals...

Just sayin'

Steve

David Kirk
07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Maybe this will show the level of luddite that I am but what ever happened to living in the moment and listening to the birds and the wind and your heart beating? One of the reasons I ride is to get some time away from everyone talking into my ear and the last thing I want to do is put them directly into my ear.

Crickets, running water, wind, tire noise, the chain on the cogs, crows squawking at me, the sound of a Harley in the distance growing louder as it nears and then the doppler effect dragging the sound into the distance...... these are all music to my ears.

dave

David Kirk
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I would hope that law enforcement would be out trying apprehend real criminals...

Just sayin'

Steve

The driver unaware of his surroundings who runs over a cyclist isn't a criminal?

Just sayin too.

Dave

SoCalSteve
07-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Maybe this will show the level of luddite that I am but what ever happened to living in the moment and listening to the birds and the wind and your heart beating? One of the reasons I ride is to get some time away from everyone talking into my ear and the last thing I want to do is put them directly into my ear.

Crickets, running water, wind, tire noise, the chain on the cogs, crows squawking at me, the sound of a Harley in the distance growing louder as it nears and then the doppler effect dragging the sound into the distance...... these are all music to my ears.

dave

And, I cannot imagine riding (especially hill climbing) without music in my ears...Me, the beach, my bike and a great tune in my ear...This is heaven to me...

Bliss comes differently for different people...

Thats why Joe Bell paints bikes all different colors and schemes.

Just sayin'

Steve

vqdriver
07-08-2009, 05:19 PM

dave

DUDE. if i rode where you ride, than hell yeah!! i'll take that.

gasman
07-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I have always been the last person to hear a car approaching from behind for whatever reason. I really don't hear them until they are on me. i used a mirror for a while when riding alone but found I still usually missed the cars. So a couple months ago I started riding with my iphone and earbuds on solo rides. It doesn't seem to make a dang bit of difference, I still hear the cars only when they are almost on me but I do look back a lot more frequently which makes me feel safer in a bizarre sort of way.
So i admit it. I used to put down wearing an ipod but now I do. Go figure.
I love Pandora.

David Kirk
07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
And, I cannot imagine riding (especially hill climbing) without music in my ears...Me, the beach, my bike and a great tune in my ear...This is heaven to me...

Bliss comes differently for different people...

Thats why Joe Bell paints bikes all different colors and schemes.

Just sayin'

Steve

That's cool. As a rider you are taking your own risk and not endangering others to any great degree. I think you'd agree that drivers are a different matter.

Enjoy the music.

dave

Ozz
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Maybe this will show the level of luddite that I am but what ever happened to living in the moment and listening to the birds and the wind and your heart beating? ...
+100

A couple weeks ago I heard a bird screech, looked up and saw an osprey going after a heron....the heron must have been sitting in his salmon watching spot...never seen an osprey with a full talon spread diving at anything before....very cool and would have missed it had I been tuned up.

RFC
07-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I agree that earbuds, etc, are unsafe while riding. However, I do get a little bored after 30 miles or so and often wished I was using an audio diversion -- either an Ipdo or radio. Is there a speaker option for my Ipod? Something that might fit in a Profile e-Pack? How about a recommendation for a small radio?

vqdriver
07-09-2009, 04:06 PM
there are small speakers you can use and ghetto rig some handlebar mount.

i think brookstone or sharper image, or some novelty store sells small speakers that go around your neck like an airplane pillow. either way, expect it to get washed out by wind noise when riding, and to be really loud at stop signs.

max_powers
07-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I was cited for two earbuds way back in '89.

I read the Ca. vehicle code, at the time it said "covers both ears"

I was prepared to argue the earbuds do not 'cover' the ear.

The fine was $23, no points. forget the argument.

Yes, a rider may not be 100% tuned in if listening, but if your brain can multitask well, it compensates for all the sensory input. Music can actually make you a better rider with the motivation it can induce.

GuyGadois
07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I find music motivates me most on long uphill climbs. A good song will make me just go faster and take my attention away from the pain setting in on my legs.

-GG-

ahumblecycler
07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I always wear ear phones even when my MP3 player is dead. Why? Because the plugs filter white noise, keeps the bugs out, and protects my canals from wind debris include farming/plowing debris. I keep my volume at a level where I can carry on a conversation with a Harley rider at a stop light. I typically can only hear a beat in the background, with words emerging during climbing periods.

It is everyone's choice.

Acotts
07-10-2009, 12:19 PM

dave

uhhmm...some of us dont live in ass-kicking Bozeman Effin Montana. Man, I pedal in Northern Virginia. Not as cool.

OP: Just use your head. It more appropriate in some situation than others.

I use my buds on nice easy recovery rides on the WOD trail.

I wouldn't use them anywhere were the scenery is especially nice or if I have to worry about cars. But cruising at 16 on a trail on a fixed...no problem.

That said, i make a choice, IPOD or no helmet. I tend to go no helmet.

When I bike for real on the road or with others, I dont mess with that stuff. Safety first.

jasond
07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I use an iPod and can hear most cars coming up behind me. Most of the time I'm not listening to the words of the song (I listen to trance, house, hip hop and, sometimes rock when I ride). However the beat of the song is what I like and sometimes dictates my riding intesity which is why I listen to music. With or w/out an iPod there is no way to tell if a car is going to hit you or not hit you, you would have to look to see this. I say get a mirror, listen to your iPod if that's your thing and, enjoy your ride.

J

L84dinr
07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Ok, dumb question, but WTH, so you hear a car.

Whether you hear the vehicle or not seems kinda pointless. Shouldnt you be riding in a "safe" place on the road anyway? If so, then whether you hear it or not evrything should be copasetic and the two shall never meet, re: if one hears or not. If you are riding a bike with a MP3 and you observe road trash or pot holes you should look over your shoulder before swerving to avoid the garbage, whether wearing earbuds or not. If the car is swerving can you "hear" that? Perhaps, depends a lot on the road condition and tires etc... If the car is going to hit you what good does hearing it do? Maybe allows you the extra, What, 30 seconds to get onto the shoulder if there is a shoulder? The only instance where i have had the crap scared outta me is trucks with extended mirrors, cant hear those things!
I ride with a mp3. On narrow country chip and seal roads that are for most parts vacant, except around 4- 5:30PM when most folks are coming home from work. If i am on a fairly busy road i might not listen to the mp3, shrug. Not trying to pick a scab, just thoughts i've had while riding alone.

Acotts
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
True story, I was on the fixed doing loops around the tidal basin in DC listenting to my IPOD. It was 5:00am and I had the whole park to myself.

Then this song came on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7la0SndoCI

I am not a huge MUSE fan, but it just hyped me up so much. I was going nuts and was definately braking some personal land speed records when I pedal struck on a turn that I was taking to aggressively on the fixed.

Boy, if you have ever had a pedal strike on a fixed, its heart wrenching. It literally knocked me upright, and sent me into an intercept course towards the far curb. All you want to do is stop pedaling and you cant.

I got control and managed to keep from crashing. But boy, my heart still goes up a little just thinking about it.

I also snapped an FSA crank one early warm morning listening to my IPOD and I felt so invigorated that I launched my roadbike of a pretty hefty curb. The crank snapped and I almost lost my testicles.

So, long sotry short, the ipod itself isn't dangerous, but you should watch what you listen to. It can be intoxicating when the right tunes hit you at just the right time.

-A

vqdriver
07-10-2009, 12:37 PM
how times have changed.

it wasn't too long ago that i got ripped a new one for being an ipod user. now it seems that many of those critics are users themselves.

Acotts
07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Ok, dumb question, but WTH, so you hear a car.

Whether you hear the vehicle or not seems kinda pointless. Shouldnt you be riding in a "safe" place on the road anyway? If so, then whether you hear it or not evrything should be copasetic and the two shall never meet, re: if one hears or not. If you are riding a bike with a MP3 and you observe road trash or pot holes you should look over your shoulder before swerving to avoid the garbage, whether wearing earbuds or not. If the car is swerving can you "hear" that? Perhaps, depends a lot on the road condition and tires etc... If the car is going to hit you what good does hearing it do? Maybe allows you the extra, What, 30 seconds to get onto the shoulder if there is a shoulder? The only instance where i have had the crap scared outta me is trucks with extended mirrors, cant hear those things!
I ride with a mp3. On narrow country chip and seal roads that are for most parts vacant, except around 4- 5:30PM when most folks are coming home from work. If i am on a fairly busy road i might not listen to the mp3, shrug. Not trying to pick a scab, just thoughts i've had while riding alone.

All of us live in different places. Mostly where I ride in DC, its wise to be aware of your surroundings. Its just a good idea. Roads weren't exactly built to be shared and there is a lot of give and take between cyclist and riders out here for the most part.

Some people dont have the concern.

Just use you head. You know when you are being unsafe. If you dont, well making rules wont make you a safer person.

Tom
07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't hear the thrushes in the canopy.

I wouldn't hear the lawn mowers, the kids playing in the swimming pool, the dog barking, the old lady tending her flowers saying 'Hi!'

I wouldn't be able to tell the pickup or the SUV is pulling a trailer as it passes, I wouldn't drift a little to the right so when that trailer that is wider than the SUV comes by it misses me.

I wouldn't hear the overtaking vehicle slowing or speeding up or have any f'ing idea it was there at all.

I wouldn't be completely and absolutely self absorbed in a universe that revolves around me, me, me. Yeah, uh huh.

Just saying.

Acotts
07-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't hear the thrushes in the canopy.

I wouldn't hear the lawn mowers, the kids playing in the swimming pool, the dog barking, the old lady tending her flowers saying 'Hi!'

I wouldn't be able to tell the pickup or the SUV is pulling a trailer as it passes, I wouldn't drift a little to the right so when that trailer that is wider than the SUV comes by it misses me.

I wouldn't hear the overtaking vehicle slowing or speeding up or have any f'ing idea it was there at all.

I wouldn't be completely and absolutely self absorbed in a universe that revolves around me, me, me. Yeah, uh huh.

Just saying.

some people dont have to worry about that stuff. Let them be self-absorbed. Nothing wrong with that. As long as they use their head. This is all for fun.

vqdriver
07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Then this song came on:

-A

tho i only listen to music when i'm out of podcasts, hysteria is definitely on my playlist when i switch to music. it seems to have been written strictly for amping you up, and it does so well.