PDA

View Full Version : One more Assos question

kenth
01-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Assos question - I'd prefer to buy an Assos winter jacket at my LBS, but as best I can tell there isn't one within 3 hours of me, and even that one has little selection. There's a guy on ebay who always had loads of new Assos, with good prices. Seller is "tta_mem", seller location = Israel, although item locations = United Kingdom. Feedback is universally positive. Anyone had transactions with this seller - up or down recommendation?

Brian
01-16-2004, 03:00 PM
I recently ordered an Assos Airblock Jacket. I returned it today. While the quality of the garment was excellent, it fit poorly. I’m 5’10” and 165 pounds. The Assos sizing charts indicate I should wear a large, and that’s what I ordered. But the jacket was tight – especially with more than one layer underneath. And the snap collar was so tight when closed that it was literally cutting off circulation to my brain. In addition, the sleeves were already too long, so ordering an extra large is out of the question. (Note: consistent themes for Assos seem to be that it’s great stuff, very expensive and hard to figure out the right size.)

The Airblock Jacket was more like a heavyweight jersey – not a jacket. In fact, the entire back is made up of nothing more than heavyweight jersey material. Here in upstate NY, wind protection is not enough. You must have a couple of layers of insulation and the Airblock Jacket doesn’t allow any real ability to layer. If all you needed was a single polypro layer underneath, then the Airblock would be OK. But a single polypro layer doesn’t cut it where I live.

If you are looking for a winter cycling jacket good for temperatures below 45F, the Airblock is a poor choice. Maybe the Assos Gator Jacket would be a better...

Big Jim
01-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Brian,
Where did you order your Assos clothing...you once told me the web site but I since forgot it.

Big Jim

MallyG
01-17-2004, 10:39 AM
I love Assos, but I always find that I need to order at least a size up from usual.

Brian
01-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Jim,

I usually order my Assos stuff at Branford Bike - great retailer with a huge selection. This time, though, I ordered from Bulltek Sports because they were running a big sale and the jacket was $50 cheaper than anyone else.

Be careful ordering Assos clothing one size larger. I actually found that Assos shorts/bibs need to be ordered one size SMALLER. I would wear a large short with Performance, PI, etc., but I swim in an Assos large short. I need a medium short with Assos.

dnovo
01-17-2004, 11:33 AM
If you are in the market for an Assos Winter Jacket, rather than just a heavy Jersey, they make the Airblock and the ne plus ultra of winter biking jackets, the Gator Jacket. One of the most expensive you can buy, but the absolute best. And it does run about a size smaller than an American size. I find that in winter Jackets and Jerseys, a bit larger is best as layering a windproof blocker (Craft Windstop) or an Assos Hydro underlayer makes for the best possible combination. Warning. The Gator is not for people who want a jacket for 45 degree days. Its fine, but overkill. The Airblock will do what you need. But if you are out when it is really cold -- read that as New England or Upper Midwest -- Gator is the answer. Dave N.

larryp2
01-18-2004, 12:49 PM
to answer your question:

I have had multiple transactions with the eBay seller you mention and I have never had a problem. excellent quick delivery, brand new label merchandise. will also sell you off eBay anything you want or will get for you.

kenth
01-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Thank you to all for your advice. I ordered an Airblock jacket from Lickton's - I used to shop there when I lived in Chicago long ago, and they seem like good guys. I did however price match with Bulltek to save $40.