PDA

View Full Version : New gruppo

sc53
07-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Thinking of changing out my Dura Ace 7800 stuff for either 7900 or Chorus 11 speed, primarily for the shape and size of the shifters. I like the ergonomics of both 7900 and Chorus shifters and don't mind the thumb shifter for Campy. Internet pricing for Chorus 11 speed is comparable to pricing for what I would need to upgrade for the change to 7900. Aside from the usual Campy/Shimano loyalties, is there any reason I should favor one of these makeovers to the other? I have read a lot about each, plus opinions and reviews of SRAM too (which I've decided I don't like as well), and am kind of in a quandary. Maybe I just want a new look--Campy provides more of that than the DA 7900, at least on my bike. The last time I bought Campy was in 1996 and that 8 sp Record stuff is still going strong on my CSI. I am curious about recent Campy. Is there something I'm overlooking in contemplating a changeover to Chorus on my Ottrott? (oh yeah, I know I'll need a new rear hub too)

Pete Serotta
07-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Both work well......I went from 7800 tp 7900 and the hidden cables and where one places the hands are the major differences for me. The brakes seem more powerful but the 7800 were great also.

Campy 11, I still say why 11 BUT I am thinking of getting a grouppo. The CHORUS from folks I respect for their bike knowledge is the one to get. (unless you need the SR name to display).

When it comes down to it, IT IS A PERSONAL decision. (not a performance one) In my opinion, :)

Depending on what hubs, you have you might not need a new rear one. For MAVIC and DT you do not (just buy the hub attachment that make the hub campy or shimano

Have fun with the decision..... PETE

Dave
07-07-2009, 05:12 PM
The Chorus 11 groups was about $1200 at Licktons, the last time I looked. That's a good price from a US based dealer who can offer warranty service.

I've got two bikes running Record/Chorus mixed groups and they have been flawless so far. The new brake/shift lever shape and function are hard to beat. No more replacing g-springs.

The cogs are the same thickness as Shimano and the chain should still last longer, despite being thinner.

allegretto
07-07-2009, 05:19 PM
i'm gullty of wanting SR on my mechanics i guess ( :rolleyes: ) but i went from 7800 to the SR and i feel it is much better, for me that is.

shifts are more positive and precise, period. when i want to grab two or three i can do it and not have to look to be sure. never used 7900 so i cannot comment. both systems have brakes that are stronger than my contact patch.

palincss
07-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Thinking of changing out my Dura Ace 7800 stuff for either 7900 or Chorus 11 speed, primarily for the shape and size of the shifters. I like the ergonomics of both 7900 and Chorus shifters and don't mind the thumb shifter for Campy. Internet pricing for Chorus 11 speed is comparable to pricing for what I would need to upgrade for the change to 7900. Aside from the usual Campy/Shimano loyalties, is there any reason I should favor one of these makeovers to the other? I have read a lot about each, plus opinions and reviews of SRAM too (which I've decided I don't like as well), and am kind of in a quandary. Maybe I just want a new look--Campy provides more of that than the DA 7900, at least on my bike. The last time I bought Campy was in 1996 and that 8 sp Record stuff is still going strong on my CSI. I am curious about recent Campy. Is there something I'm overlooking in contemplating a changeover to Chorus on my Ottrott? (oh yeah, I know I'll need a new rear hub too)

I'll bet the Dura Ace 7800 stuff on your Ottrott is doing just fine, too. How much would this upgrade cost [OK, now we know, over a thousand bucks], and do you think paying that much for a change in the shape of your brifters is really economically sound? A thousand bucks for little more than a change in the shape of the brake hoods?

Pete Serotta
07-07-2009, 05:30 PM
economically sound?
:) :) :)
:beer:

Smiley
07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
WAIT for the electronics stuff, once it filters down to Ultegra you'll be sorry u did not wait for it, the 7900 looks with nothing to swing, push pull or shift.
U gotta stay Shimano, what next u send campaign money for Sarah Palin :)

allegretto
07-07-2009, 06:41 PM
just as in cars, i suspect it will be some time before some will change from the pleasure of rowing their own gears. though i am speaking in a knowledge vacuum, the reviews i've read suggest there are bugs to work out.

but maybe folks will flock in droves...

allegretto
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
sc53,

why did you reject SRAM?

Pete Serotta
07-07-2009, 07:21 PM
:) :) it is called red and what type of name is that :argue:

sc53,

why did you reject SRAM?

allegretto
07-07-2009, 07:33 PM