PDA

View Full Version : Received a compliment from service dept

dekindy
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
I was informed that the mechanic that serviced my bicycle took it on an "extended" test ride because it was one of the smoothest riding bikes he had ever ridden. I already knew that but it was nice to hear.

Serotta Legend and Shimano 7850SL and Hutchinson Fusion 2 road tubeless tires is a great combination! I love it when a plan comes together.

MattTuck
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Not sure I'd want my expensive rig being taken on a test ride by the wrench...

If it is so nice, maybe he can rent it from you for a ride. I feel that is taking advantage of his position, and reminds of the parking garage scene in ferris beuller's day off.

Just sayin'

PS. I don't have an expensive rig, so this is just conjecture about how I THINK I'd feel.

WadePatton
07-07-2009, 02:59 PM
so long as i feel that the shop would cover any incident--then no problem. the wrenches are better riders than half my club. chit could happen, but that's life.

cool.

Pete Serotta
07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Life and bikes are meant to be shared!!!! :) :) :)

nahtnoj
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM

I'd usually give bikes a pretty thorough test when working at a shop. Never out on the street, but they would get a good working over in the shops parking lot, up the hill on the driveway, etc.

One time a guy brought in a CSI to get the cassette and wheels changed. Great customer, really nice guy, hands me the bike with instructions to make sure the chain doesn't skip after the wheel/cassette change.

Did the work, then took the bike outside. Couple of pedal strokes, and it rocketed across the lot like no bike I'd ever ridden. It was a custom with a stretched out TT that was just pure bliss. I was shocked. Put the bike through a longer than usual battery of tests a. because I was asked to and b. because I was astounded and trying to wrap my mind around the ride.

avalonracing
07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Just be very concerned if your mechanic starts looking at your girlfriend/wife.

Acotts
07-07-2009, 03:57 PM
They probably said that to the next customer on the rusty town bike as well.

Just kidding. Funny story. Good customer service. Your lbs is a keeper.

maunahaole
07-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Pete - you forgot to mention good red. Your good red, that is.... :D

JD Smith
07-07-2009, 05:15 PM

If it is so nice, maybe he can rent it from you for a ride. I feel that is taking advantage of his position, and reminds of the parking garage scene in ferris beuller's day off.

Just sayin'

PS. I don't have an expensive rig, so this is just conjecture about how I THINK I'd feel.

A test ride is not a joy ride. A mechanic should test ride a bike after working on it to be sure it functions as it should, while being ridden, rather than functioning good while clamped on a stand. You get a much better feel for brake adjustments when they're stopping a mounted rider, rather than when they're on a stand, just stopping an unweighted, freely spinning wheel.
For whatever reason, (cable stretch, flexing tubes, etc.) many times a bike that's shifting perfectly on the stand will behave differently when it's being ridden.
Most often, when I have to adjust a stem, I can't tell when it's perfectly straight from just standing over it. It's only when I ride the bike, and my hands and arms can contribute their feedback, that I can tell when it's straight.
It's only when weighted with a rider that a bike's creaks, clicks, ticks, and clatters appear. So these noises are diagnosed, eliminated, and checked under the conditions that they occur.
So you should really want your mechanic to take the time to check the function of your bike as it is meant to function, with a rider mounted, pedaling on the asphalt. Many mechanics don't do this because they don't care to take the time.

SoCalSteve
07-07-2009, 05:57 PM
A test ride is not a joy ride. A mechanic should test ride a bike after working on it to be sure it functions as it should, while being ridden, rather than functioning good while clamped on a stand. You get a much better feel for brake adjustments when they're stopping a mounted rider, rather than when they're on a stand, just stopping an unweighted, freely spinning wheel.
For whatever reason, (cable stretch, flexing tubes, etc.) many times a bike that's shifting perfectly on the stand will behave differently when it's being ridden.
Most often, when I have to adjust a stem, I can't tell when it's perfectly straight from just standing over it. It's only when I ride the bike, and my hands and arms can contribute their feedback, that I can tell when it's straight.
It's only when weighted with a rider that a bike's creaks, clicks, ticks, and clatters appear. So these noises are diagnosed, eliminated, and checked under the conditions that they occur.
So you should really want your mechanic to take the time to check the function of your bike as it is meant to function, with a rider mounted, pedaling on the asphalt. Many mechanics don't do this because they don't care to take the time.

All great points!

If I needed a bike mechanic, I'd choose you. You have what it takes to build a bike correctly. :beer:

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: One of the many reasons I started building my own bikes is because I was so fed up with the lack of care (and high prices) of the bike mechanics in Los Angeles.

CNY rider
07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Serotta Legend and Shimano 7850SL and Hutchinson Fusion 2 road tubeless tires is a great combination! I love it when a plan comes together.

I am riding the exact same set up and could not agree more. :beer:

palincss
07-07-2009, 06:22 PM

As long as they don't adjust the seat height...

dekindy
07-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Gosh, it never crossed my mind that I should be so concerned. I have a great relationship with the guys at the LBS and would probably let most of them take the bike for a training ride if they asked. I took them a half case of Virgil's root beer because they give me great service and advice. Last year when my dropout cracked they immediately took the bike apart and shipped it to Serotta the next day and had it put back together the day after it came back from Serotta. This was in the middle of July when they are swamped. In fact, they called me at 8:00 in the morning to tell me it was ready because they knew I wanted to leave town that day for my ride the following day. It does not get much better than that. So yeah, if one of the wrenches wants to take a ride they are more than welcome to do so.

Jawn P
07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Be nice to your mechanics and we'll treat ya right :beer:

JD Smith
07-07-2009, 10:23 PM
All great points!

If I needed a bike mechanic, I'd choose you. You have what it takes to build a bike correctly. :beer:

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: One of the many reasons I started building my own bikes is because I was so fed up with the lack of care (and high prices) of the bike mechanics in Los Angeles.

Just to be clear, I don't test ride each and every bike. If a customer is bringing in a bike they purchased at the shop for their free 30-day checkup, and I see it's hardly been ridden, the customer had no complaints, it functions perfectly on the stand, and I know there's other bikes with issues to get to, I'll leave well enough alone.
Like you, I choose to build my own bikes before I got my job as a mechanic. You and I can set aside the time to get everything right. Because we know the history, know what works and what doesn't work for a particular machine's set-up, it wouldn't make sense to hand it over to somebody with no investment in it.
As a paid mechanic, there are certain realities and time constraints. I'm being paid by the hour, and if I was to devote as much time to a customer's bike as I would my own, I'd have one happy customer's bike finished and 10 unhappy customers bikes unfinished. So I'm still learning to compromise, to get it as good as I can in the time I have.
Another reality is how the customer comes off. If I detect they care about the bike, are attached to it, and take their best care of it, I'll give it priority. If given the choice between spending more time on a $4K race bike that means nothing to the customer, and a $100, cared-for commuter, I'll spend time on the machine that will be used to bring out what's right about cycling.
I think it's better to start out taking more time than necessary, then develop a knowledge base and techniques to become more efficient, rather than start off rushing everything, develop bad habits, figuring if there's no outright complaint, it's all good.
Plus, I tend to get more tips. :beer: