PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Decals

dumbod
07-06-2009, 02:00 PM
It's time to put up or shut up. I've been talking about wanting a Parlee for four years and now I have the opportunity to buy a Z4 at a very attractive price. To do that, I have to sell my 2006 Litespeed Siena. The frame is in great shape (say what you will about Ti, it ages very gracefully) but the same cannot be said about the decals which are a little torn up. Litespeed sells a replacement set of decals for $42. I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you think I will increase my sales price by adding the new decals?
2) Do any of you have any practical hints about (a) removing old decals and (b) installing the new ones?

Thanks.

D

avalonracing
07-06-2009, 02:04 PM
I think that you would get more than your $42 investment back. Poor decals makes a frame look thrashed while nice decals make it look like it was lightly ridden.

rwsaunders
07-06-2009, 02:19 PM
+1...just like scuff marks on a crank arm...inevitable, not related to performance, but unsightly just the same.

cody.wms
07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
acetone or goof-off will take the decals right off.

pdmtong
07-06-2009, 03:17 PM
IMHO I would leave the old decals and let the buyer deal with it if they want. you can adjust the price accordingly if needed. the buyer may or may not care. you may fumble the reapplication. I know it makes it look better, but it is what it is. a used ti bike.

dave thompson
07-06-2009, 03:36 PM
A good tack may be to buy the new decals and offer them to the buyer. Let him muck up the application.

JeffS
07-06-2009, 04:32 PM
I would just remove them. I'd wager that most people buying a Ti bike don't want that many decals on their frame anyway.

TimD
07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
A good tack may be to buy the new decals and offer them to the buyer. Let him muck up the application.

+1

Getting them on straight might be harder than you think :crap:

Suggest you include them with the sale.

Good luck!

GuyGadois
07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
When selling a house you should put in new grass and flowers. When selling a bike you should make sure it looks its best and if it is $45 then I would do it. There is no chance it won't increase your sale price by that amount IMHO.

And, getting the name straight is easier then you would think. Applying stickers isn't that hard if you take your time.

-GG-

Blue Jays
07-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Another option is to see about shipping it to ABG for reconditioning, new decals, and clearcoat.
It could potentially boost the sale price. Who knows?!

C50
07-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Acetone which can be bought at Home Depot, Lowes etc takes the old decals off easily. You can get new ones from Litespeed but I went to a sign company (Fastsigns) and they duplicated the fonts and made a set of decals in the color of my choice for $26. I have had a couple of sets made this way. In fact they have made additional decals so I could place them on the frame in additional places where the factory decals didn't go.

Either way you go, having fresh decals and detailed bike will always sell better then one that appears to have wear and tear. This has been my experience at least.

dumbod
07-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Thanks for all your advice guys. I ordered the decals from ABG today ($28 plus $14 of shipping.) I'll let you know how it goes.

D